MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Black Metal drop-in centre

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 20>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angelmk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2010 at 3:07pm
So, what do you guys think of the new Drudkh ? i was kinda dissapointed, doesn't click on me so far, still my fave are Autumn Aurora and Blood In Our Wells. 
www.last.fm/user/angelmk
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2010 at 3:14pm
^ Damn, I still don't have that one... I hope to get it soon, though. Thumbs Up
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Vehemency View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vehemency Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2010 at 3:28pm
I listened to it once (ahem, illegal ways again) and won't listen again until the release date when I get the physical CD. Just wanted to take a look at it already so I have an idea what it is, proper listening happens with the real deal in September.

And I'm not sure did I like what I heard. I do prefer the production of this album in comparison to Microkosmos (I bet you will like this production better, J-Man!). Less distortion, which was a bit weird, more like a post-rock thing going on there. Less singing also, it seems. Some rocky arrangements.

Based on that first listen, I'm not overly impressed, but on the other hand, I remember almost nothing about the album anymore, meaning that I really need to hear it again before I nag about it more. ;-)
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2010 at 3:34pm
Sounds good. Thumbs Up I prefer their earlier works (like most people), but I'm still excited for this one anyway. They're among my favorite black metal acts.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2010 at 9:20am
I've heard lots of people mention Drudkh around here, and it sounds like a band I could see myself getting into.  I know there were a couple of their albums at a store near me, so perhaps I'll pick one up sometime this week.
Vehemency View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vehemency Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2010 at 9:49am
They seem to trigger lots of attention from non-black metal people nowadays, and I can see why: they do have their own thing going on with beautiful melodies. Season of Mist certainly has a role in the sudden rise of popularity too, though.

I hope the pressure of popularity doesn't affect the band's sound. Right now I have my doubts based on that one listen of the newest album, which seemed to include elements of the current fashionable genres (post-rock / shoegaze). I must say, it wasn't something that I would have expected from a band that praises estrangement and individualism. This, plus the recent re-releases with more compressed sound and more new-ageish cover arts (glad I own all the originals!), makes me doubtful in regard to their future releases... But I won't nag about it more, since this is all just my dystopic imagination.
Vehemency View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vehemency Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2010 at 2:45am
Originally posted by Vehemency Vehemency wrote:

DROWNING THE LIGHT: "Catacombs of Blood"
*CD out through Dark Adversary Productions (late 2010)
*Vinyl LP out through Obscure Abhorrence (late 2010)
*Tape out through??

3 songs from the album can be heard: www.myspace.com/drowningthelight
or
mp3 download: http://darkadversary.com/DTL-AsPlagueUponTheSheep-PoisonInRedemption.mp3

This album has a 24 page booklet, with some amazing obscure and dark unique artworks created for each set of lyrics.

Now taking pre-orders for this CD

www.darkadversary.com

- - -

Vinyl version seems to be out in Feb 2011 so I guess I'll have to go with the CD version, but at least it has a 24-page booklet! Looking forward to this.
Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2010 at 4:53am
ther was once an episode of Bones where they investigated a case surrouning a black metal concert, and many referances to Norway (even some spoke the language).

I hounsetly felt both pride and embarresment
Vehemency View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vehemency Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2010 at 3:39pm
Norway indeed has its infamous history of black metal. And accidental or not, one of the only really promising Norwegian black metal bands from the 2000s - Kaosritual -  ended last year because the singer was... *drumroll*...  shot dead. The history keeps repeating itself over there.
Vehemency View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vehemency Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2010 at 6:28am
Listening to the new Arckanum, good stuff again. Too bad the cover art is pretty subpar compared to the previous two...

...and now...

Stern Smile

Have you Jonas heard the band? You could like some of his stuff, probably Antikosmos at least.
(sucky sound quality on that clip)
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2010 at 6:40am
Arckanum?
Vehemency View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vehemency Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2010 at 6:45am
Yeah, Arckanum. Did a comeback in the late 2000s, black metal with perhaps a touch of death and doom in there too, partially at least. "Antikosmos" particularly is something I'd recommend, though many seem to dislike it.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2010 at 7:43am
I�d have to check it out ( I�m at a place without sound possibilities). Never heard of them before. ThanksThumbs Up

Edited by UMUR - 29 Oct 2010 at 7:44am
Murphy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murphy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2010 at 7:05pm
Anyone got thought's on the new(ish) D�dsengel album mirium occultum...

...worth picking up?
Guai ai gelidi mostri �Everything that is doddering, squint-eyed, infamous, sullying, and grotesque is contained for me in this single word: God� Andr� Breton
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2010 at 7:50pm
I highly recommend checking out the new Aborym album... it's really great stuff! Clap

Here's my review: http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/psychogrotesque--review.aspx?id=224261
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2010 at 1:57am
Originally posted by Murphy Murphy wrote:

...worth picking up?

Don�t know the band but the cover artwork is great.
Vehemency View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vehemency Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2010 at 6:25am
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

Originally posted by Murphy Murphy wrote:

...worth picking up?

Don�t know the band but the cover artwork is great.

That D�dsengel album is pretty good, so I do think it's worth picking up. In fact, I would say it's one of the best bands from Norway nowadays, which doesn't say much though... Abyssal sound and good atmosphere, but nothing extremely out of the ordinary. The band has also released numerous EPs this year which I haven't heard yet, should soon.

By the way, good to see you around, Murphy.

Edited by Vehemency - 13 Nov 2010 at 6:26am
Murphy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murphy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2010 at 5:52am
Cheers, been a short while.

I'll have a poke 'round the net to see if I can pick it up cheap. Besides Arckanum any other new-ish releases I should keep my eye on? 

Gotta say this album's grown on me over the last couple of months.

Dark Tribe - In Jeraspunta - Die R�ckkehr der tollw�tigen Bestie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kadrPSAaO1Q&feature=related

A manic vocalist straight outta the asylum and riffs that grate at your ears like gravel, 'tis a good night in, methinks :)
Guai ai gelidi mostri �Everything that is doddering, squint-eyed, infamous, sullying, and grotesque is contained for me in this single word: God� Andr� Breton
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2010 at 7:31am
I must admit that I am becoming increasingly fascinated by the genre as I learn to understand it more and more... ahh, the beauty of discovering new music.
Vehemency View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vehemency Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2010 at 7:10am
That Dark Tribe sounded maniacal - should check it out soon!

Speaking of such weird stuff, I'm digging the debut of Anguished, a female fronted black metal project, the debut album just came out. Jesus, those vocals...

MySpace

I've heard too many new BM releases lately so I'm too confused to name other good albums, hah... I'll write another reply here later when I can form my thoughts better.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 20>
  Share Topic