MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Black Metal drop-in centre

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 20>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2010 at 3:13pm
I mostly like the twisted experimental stuff like D�dheimsgard, Ved Buens Ende and their ilk.
Murphy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murphy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2010 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

I mostly like the twisted experimental stuff like D�dheimsgard, Ved Buens Ende and their ilk.

I know Ved Buens Ende well, but any recommendations on D�dheimsgard? Or is it best to work linearly through their discography?
Guai ai gelidi mostri �Everything that is doddering, squint-eyed, infamous, sullying, and grotesque is contained for me in this single word: God� Andr� Breton
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2010 at 3:26pm
^I guess it depends on what your poison is. The first two albums are pretty raw old school black/ thrash metal and don�t interest me much. 666 International is a really twisted experimental black metal album with industrial elements. Rather progressive actually. I love that one and consider it a masterpiece. Supervillain Outcast is much more polished and varies from blasting industrial black/ death metal to what I would call goth influenced metal ( there�s a song that�s close to Manson on that one). I love that one too, but if you�re mostly an old school black metal guy I�m not sure if you�ll enjoy Supervillain Outcast much.
Murphy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murphy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2010 at 3:57pm

^I guess it depends on what your poison is. The first two albums are pretty raw old school black/ thrash metal and don�t interest me much.

I hear you, heard too many raw old school albums in my teens to be actively search for more. Too much music out there to be bogged down.

666 International is a really twisted experimental black metal album with industrial elements. Rather progressive actually. I love that one and consider it a masterpiece.

Just listened to 'Shiva Interfere' on youtube, sounds like my poison. Hard to find good avant-garde in metal. So I think it will be my starting point. 

Supervillain Outcast is much more polished and varies from blasting industrial black/ death metal to what I would call goth influenced metal ( there�s a song that�s close to Manson on that one). I love that one too, but if you�re mostly an old school black metal guy I�m not sure if you�ll enjoy Supervillain Outcast much.

I assume the Manson reference is for the negative :P Only time I've heard him was when he was out in Sydney. Was sitting in a cafe about 2 kilometres from the venue and was still infiltrated with noise! For what it's worth you might be right about Supervillain Outcast I'm not so enamored by the polished sound. Tho' if 666 international is a hit at home I'll test the waters.  
Guai ai gelidi mostri �Everything that is doddering, squint-eyed, infamous, sullying, and grotesque is contained for me in this single word: God� Andr� Breton
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2010 at 2:20am
^Good callThumbs Up
Murphy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murphy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2010 at 8:22pm
^^^ In the mail now. I'll let you know what I think when it arrives.

--------------

Other news I've been listening to bucket-loads of Paysage d'Hiver, I've got pretty much everything he has released. A lot of material to get through, but totally immersive and rewarding. Many years ago you could d/l most of his albums from the website, but I think nearly all the demo's have been re-issue in CD format. Any other fans?

Phonebook Eater View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phonebook Eater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2010 at 7:27am

That�s kind of a broad search. Which bands do you normally prefer?

There�s no use in steering you towards the symphonic side of the genre if you�re more interested in the raw old school sound.

Well. I'm interested in old school, since I already am pretty familiar with extreme/black  prog metal.

My Album Reviews: http://audiopline.wordpress.com/
Movie Reviewing blog: http://moviepline.wordpress.com/
Vehemency View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vehemency Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2010 at 7:50am
Originally posted by Murphy Murphy wrote:

Other news I've been listening to bucket-loads of Paysage d'Hiver, I've got pretty much everything he has released. A lot of material to get through, but totally immersive and rewarding. Many years ago you could d/l most of his albums from the website, but I think nearly all the demo's have been re-issue in CD format. Any other fans?
Yeah. I own the first 3 CD re-releases and also the original tape of Einsamkeit, felt lucky because it sold out in the next few hours...

I should get the rest of the re-releases, I think there's a least 2 of them out that I don't have yet. Have heard them all downloaded, though. The self-titled is probably my favourite.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2010 at 1:47pm
I�m listening to this one right now.: Deathspell Omega - K�n�se
DEATHSPELL OMEGA - K�n�se cover
It�s quite a demanding release but I�m really impressed. I�ve reviewed most of their earlier material and I didn�t care much for it, but this is where it starts to get really interesting IMO.
Vehemency View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vehemency Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2010 at 2:00pm
^ That is one hell of an EP! Among my favourite releases. The 2007 album is even more chaotic but as a whole it's not as strong as K�n�se.

Deathspell Omega has great split material also that is often overlooked. They are long tracks (~20 minutes) and definitely worth checking out if one likes this newer style of DsO:

- "Diabolus Absconditus" (from "Crushing the Holy Trinity" split)
- "Mass Grave Aesthetics" (from "From the Entrails to the Dirt" split)
- "Chaining the Katechon" (from "Veritas Diaboli Manet in Aeternum" split)

Anyways, Si Monumentum remains as my favourite release, it's the most nostalgic and definitely speaks to me the most. Followed by K�n�se.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2010 at 3:41pm
I�ve actually written a review of Si Monumentum for PA: http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=212649. I�ll take a few more listens and see if I get a new perspective of things before posting it here on MMA. I thought it was a very good album but there were flaws that I didn�t enjoy. Things tend to change the more you listen and I�m pretty stuborn when I hear something I find intriguing even though it might not be instantly likable.
Vehemency View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vehemency Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2010 at 4:10pm
That was a good review. I totally understand how you don't see it as a total masterpiece, especially knowing that you're maybe not so much into traditional and "monotonous" lo-fi black metal. And Si Monumentum has those elements, although it's indeed more progressive (in the real meaning of that word).

I always find it hard to do 5 star reviews, thus I usually avoid doing them. It's so hard to convince anyone why some album deserves 5 stars because it's somehow really personal, and the reasons unclear to even myself. Can't be easily put into text. But maybe some day I finally get to review this album too, hehe. My next 5 star reviews will most likely be some DRUDKH albums.
Murphy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murphy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2010 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by Vehemency Vehemency wrote:

Yeah. I own the first 3 CD re-releases and also the original tape of Einsamkeit, felt lucky because it sold out in the next few hours...

I should get the rest of the re-releases, I think there's a least 2 of them out that I don't have yet. Have heard them all downloaded, though. The self-titled is probably my favourite.

Yeah, I think a lot of people like the self-titled the best. I've been listening to the albums for years, but have never managed to get my head around which one I like best. Most of them provoke a visceral experience that has stayed with me for years, even through the period where I'd disowned metal nearly entirely.

My next 5 star reviews will most likely be some DRUDKH albums.

Which albums out of interest? I was enamored with Forgotten Legends and Autumn Aurora when I was a teenager. I'll still put them on every now and again and be swept away by their beauty.  
Vehemency View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vehemency Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2010 at 3:14am
Originally posted by Murphy Murphy wrote:

Which albums out of interest? I was enamored with Forgotten Legends and Autumn Aurora when I was a teenager. I'll still put them on every now and again and be swept away by their beauty.
Forgotten Legends indeed, followed by Autumn Aurora. I also think Blood in Our Wells is worth of 5 stars. Amazing albums although I haven't been actively listening to them for the last two years or so. In addition to their original beauty, now they also sound nostalgic, making them even better!

The other albums are great too but don't reach the perfection of these 3 albums. There might be a new album coming out this year (at least the Les Discrets dude has been asked to do some graphics for Drudkh) and although Microcosmos was slightly a disappointment, I still have my expectations very high.
Murphy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murphy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2010 at 8:09am
I remember in '05 being highly disappointed with The Swan Road. Not a bad album, but it did not reach up to the ridiculously high standard I'd assigned the band. So I never got around to picking up Blood in Our Wells. I was living in Russia the year it was released and was intrigued by the cover art; funnily enough a couple of weeks later I stumbled across the painting they used for the cover in a gallery and had good intentions, after that, to pick it up in the stores, but never did. Might have to put it on my list. What's it sound like? They were integrating their Ukrainian folk influences a little more heavily, were they not? 
Vehemency View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vehemency Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2010 at 8:42am
Blood in Our Wells has almost 'progressive' elements (basically just more varied song structures) and some people refer to it as 'cinematic' because it includes samples from some Ukrainian (or Russian, can't remember) movie. The sound production is more full and professional but not too polished or anything. About Ukrainian folk influences, yeah there's certainly more of that, since Forgotten Legends and Autumn Aurora were basically just beautiful nature albums, couldn't sense those albums as so 'Ukrainian'. Since The Swan Road they've definitely added hints of their home country to the music.

I just realized I own 4 different versions of BioW release: original cd, super jewel box cd, original vinyl, and picture-LP. What a fanboy! And it's definitely not the only Drudkh album of which I have many versions, not going to even list them here Big smile...
Murphy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murphy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2010 at 8:25pm
Ha ha... that's some serious commitment to a band :P

I'll pick Blood in Our Wells for sure now. My favourite Hate Forest album is Battlefields where they use the native folk influences quiet heavily.

- "Chaining the Katechon" (from "Veritas Diaboli Manet in Aeternum" split)

This reminded me, don't think S.V.E.S.T. are on the site yet. 

Edited by Murphy - 27 May 2010 at 8:43pm
Vehemency View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vehemency Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2010 at 4:29pm
Hehe, I don't usually collect anything and every album I buy is for listening, but the fanboy inside me has loosened my principle when it comes to Drudkh I guess.

Battlefields is a great album. Funny thing is that while I love Hate Forest's usual style, my favourite release of theirs is the ambient demo Temple Forest. Pure magic there, 5 stars from me. The new band after Hate Forest's end, Blood of Kingu, is some great stuff too. The second album just came out and I really like it, they're perhaps mixing some death metal into it now too.

Edit: S.V.E.S.T. added ;-) waiting for MusicBrainz sync.

Edited by Vehemency - 29 May 2010 at 4:33pm
Murphy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murphy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2010 at 9:19pm
I'll have to keep an eye out for Blood of Kingu. Spent too much on CD's this week already :(

I second the Gnaw Their Tongues and related projects recommendation. Really eerie music.

Thought I'd transfer this across here to see if some discussion can be generated. Read one of your reviews on PA: http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=266615, spot on in my books.

What other projects have you heard?
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2010 at 1:03pm
^It�s actually just recently that I was introduced to De Magia Veterum. Mories is a genious in my eyes. Very innovative and unique. So I�ve actually only listened to Gnaw Their Tongues and De Magia Veterum ( I guess the related projects part of my statement sounds a bit wrong). Metal Archives list these acts too: Ophiuchus, Pompidou, Aderlating, Dimlit Hate Cellar, Astral as acts Mories have been involved in. Do you know any of them and are any of them recommendable?

Oh yeah and I�m glad you liked the review. It didn�t take long to write but it took me a year to come up with the words.

Edited by UMUR - 31 May 2010 at 1:04pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 20>
  Share Topic