MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Black Metal drop-in centre

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 181920
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Murphy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murphy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2010 at 5:25pm
Mmm, listened to the first album today while on the cusp of sleep, not the best way to critic music, but I managed to catch bits and pieces while drifting in and out. For me, at least to a small extent, the 'noise' is a catch, tho' from reading a couple more reviews this facet of his music tends to make many flee with their tale between their legs; silly sods. I like the way the noise almost blurs the structural components; you have to work just a little bit harder to discern the very musical aspects of this album. I like to work for my pleasure. Didn't really notice the programed drums, but then again I do like Summoning.  

Looking into Valonkantajan Alkemia soon.
Guai ai gelidi mostri �Everything that is doddering, squint-eyed, infamous, sullying, and grotesque is contained for me in this single word: God� Andr� Breton
Vehemency View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vehemency Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2010 at 2:40am
Originally posted by Murphy Murphy wrote:

Picked up the Ic Rex album you reviewed, but have not had the chance to give it a proper listening yet.
That's been one of my favourites for years, and it's quite a nostalgic experience to go through that album nowadays. Although it's been just 5 years but for my age that is a lot, haha. The second album "Valonkantajan Alkemia" is a masterpiece also but it's no more that noisy (if that's the catch for some people), and it includes real drums. Overall, a bit more traditional black metal album. "Vedenkantaja", the third album, is back to the programmed drums and no noise there also. Does include some beautiful compositions but is overall the weakest IC Rex album.

Not sure what is going on in the IC Rex camp right now, he disappeared from the Finnish black metal forum (where, by the way, most of the Finnish black metal bands seem to be) a year ago and now the website www.icrex.fi is gone. Too bad because the site had English translations of the lyrics. The booklet has them also but the printing sucks so it's really small letters in the booklet, almost unreadable. (EDIT: Oh, Metal Archives seem to include them too!)

I could keep writing about all stuff but now a little break, hah.

Edited by Vehemency - 29 Apr 2010 at 2:44am
Murphy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murphy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2010 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by Vehemency Vehemency wrote:

I'll be around this topic a lot, hehe ;-) I might write a long post about it in general some time, but as of right now it's night and soon to sleep.

I was hoping as such. I've not done much active searching over the last couple of years. Picked up the Ic Rex album you reviewed, but have not had the chance to give it a proper listening yet.

----------------

I struggled with the single Shinning album I once possessed. Brought The eerie cold whence I hit the shelves and sold it shortly after, as I have a wont to do, so I never really gave it a chance. But as the years have gone by my tastes in music have only worsened, so who knows what will grace my ears, with the help of a push and a prod. 
Guai ai gelidi mostri �Everything that is doddering, squint-eyed, infamous, sullying, and grotesque is contained for me in this single word: God� Andr� Breton
DeathOfSeasons View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeathOfSeasons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2010 at 6:08pm
Black Metal is one of those genres where when it's done right it's amazing (Sigh), but one when it's done wrong you end up with some of the worst music you'll ever hear (Buio Omega. Planet of Tombs may just be the worst Metal album I've ever heard).
angelmk View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angelmk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2010 at 6:01pm
Black metal HeartHeart
One of my favourite genres of metal. I realy enjoy  Wolves In The Throne Room, superb; Weakling, made just one album, it is a masterpiece; also  Dimmu Borgir, Emperor,Gernotshagen, Skagos, Drudkh, Peste Noire, Sigh, Immortal, Enslaved.. 
www.last.fm/user/angelmk
lucas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2010 at 4:49pm
Some of my favourite bands of the genre :

The following is truly bestial :

for those who don't mind their BM mixed with grindcore :

and this one is interesting as well, somewhere between BM and mathcore :

this one is bestial, sort of martial BM :

Vehemency View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vehemency Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2010 at 4:10pm
I'll be around this topic a lot, hehe ;-) I might write a long post about it in general some time, but as of right now it's night and soon to sleep.

Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

I just noticed that Shining is releasing a new album. One of my favorites the last couple of years. Any other fans?
Yep, or I'm not sure am I a real fan but The Eerie Cold and Halmstad are really great, and Klagopsalmer is good too. Weird enough, I haven't listened to their first albums much, although in theory I would love them (because there's a bit more "traditional" black metal elements).

Edited by Vehemency - 28 Apr 2010 at 4:11pm
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2010 at 2:18pm
That�s kind of a broad search. Which bands do you normally prefer?

There�s no use in steering you towards the symphonic side of the genre if you�re more interested in the raw old school sound.

Edited by UMUR - 28 Apr 2010 at 2:19pm
Phonebook Eater View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phonebook Eater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2010 at 1:47pm
Frankly speaking, I'm not really familiar with Black Metal. Some consider it a horrible and pointless genre, however I'm pretty interested. Any particular recommandations or masterpieces I should try?
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2010 at 1:24pm
OK good idea.

I just noticed that Shining is releasing a new album. One of my favorites the last couple of years. Any other fans?
Murphy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murphy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2010 at 12:54pm
What is a metal forum without a dedicated Black Metal thread? ('tis a hypothetical question but you can answer it if you want)

I was going to write a lengthy soliloquy on my enticement with the sub-genre, but I'll let the 18 000 odd bands, whether they be good, fetid or damned, speak for themselves.  

I'll disclose some of my tastes a little later if this thread takes off the ground.

Edited by Murphy - 28 Apr 2010 at 12:54pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 181920
  Share Topic   

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image