Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recently Watched Films

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 256>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2011 at 8:46pm
Watched these two movies today:

The Omega Man (1971)
'Twas a decent action flick with some cool parts in the second half. I don't think it successfully portrayed the cold feeling of isolation that the protagonist was suffering through, but it was overall a pretty cool movie. 3/5

The Shawshank Redemption (1994)
This was my first time seeing this movie, and I really loved it. Excellent film all around with some really emotional portions. 4.5/5
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2011 at 8:00pm
I watched this classic today:

Freaks (1932)
Even though this is widely considered an essential classic, I wasn't all that impressed. Most of the movie was rather uninteresting and the acting was usually pretty marginal. The last 10 minutes or so were excellent, but most of the parts leading up to that are somewhat goofy and lackluster. 3/5
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2011 at 10:01pm
Looks like I had time to get one more movie in before going to bed...

Demanty Noci (1964)
This is an obscure Czech surrealist film from the mid-sixties about 2 boys escaping from a Holocaust train. It's very surreal and difficult to follow (most of the story is told through sporadic flashbacks), but it is a decent film. A bit too "artsy-fartsy" and slow for my taste, but there's no denying the strength of the acting and the minimum-dialogue scripting. 2.5/5
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 9:04am
Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

Freaks (1932)
Even though this is widely considered an essential classic, I wasn't all that impressed. Most of the movie was rather uninteresting and the acting was usually pretty marginal. The last 10 minutes or so were excellent, but most of the parts leading up to that are somewhat goofy and lackluster. 3/5

It's definitely an interesting film, but I suppose the cult/classic status it achieves is mainly due to the unique cast of characters and the fact it was banned in a few countries.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 9:13am

Watched these two movies today:

The Omega Man (1971)
'Twas a decent action flick with some cool parts in the second half. I don't think it successfully portrayed the cold feeling of isolation that the protagonist was suffering through, but it was overall a pretty cool movie. 3/5

The Shawshank Redemption (1994)
This was my first time seeing this movie, and I really loved it. Excellent film all around with some really emotional portions. 4.5/5

The Shawshak Redemption is a pretty great movie I agree! The novel (well I guess it�s a short-story) is even better though and highly recommendable. I love it when King writes non-horror stories. The movie is one of the few King novels that have been successfully transfered to the screen IMO. Mostly his stories end up being transfered to the screen with B-movie actors and bad effects. I can�t for the life of me understand why though. The man is filthy rich. You should think he would be able to sell the rights to people who could do his stories more justice.

Edited by UMUR - 24 Oct 2011 at 9:14am
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 9:16am
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by Stooge Stooge wrote:

Freaks (1932)

It's definitely an interesting film, but I suppose the cult/classic status it achieves is mainly due to the unique cast of characters and the fact it was banned in a few countries.

Yes, by 1932's standards this movie could've been quite disturbing. I read an interesting review that mentioned how the way people's deformities were ridiculed in the film would never be accepted in a movie nowadays. Interesting film, I just can't say I was completely blown away by it. Smile
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

The Shawshak Redemption is a pretty great movie I agree! The novel (well I guess it�s a short-story) is even better though and highly recommendable. I love it when King writes non-horror stories. The movie is one of the few King novels that have been successfully transfered to the screen IMO. Mostly his stories end up being transfered to the screen with B-movie actors and bad effects. I can�t for the life of me understand why though. The man is filthy rich. You should think he would be able to sell the rights to people who could do his stories more justice.

I haven't read King's story that the film is based on, but I really must do that at some point. Thumbs Up I haven't seen many adaptations of King's works... The Shining (1980) is one of my favorite movies of all-time though! Clap

Great film! Pretty disturbing at times, but I remember enjoying it quite a bit. What'd you think?

Edited by J-Man - 24 Oct 2011 at 6:44pm
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 9:01pm
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)
Excellent 50's sci-fi/horror movie. 4/5
Gi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 10:38pm

Second time seeing this one, I like it even more this time. This is one of those movies that, instead of starting off as a mystery for you to figure out, it instead makes you think that you have it all figured out right from the beginning and then throws a curveball at you. I highly recommend it, it's definitely one of the more underrated Hitchcock movies.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2011 at 3:04am

I haven't read King's story that the film is based on, but I really must do that at some point. Thumbs Up I haven't seen many adaptations of King's works... The Shining (1980) is one of my favorite movies of all-time though! Clap

Great film! Pretty disturbing at times, but I remember enjoying it quite a bit. What'd you think?

It was pretty entertaining and slightly disturbing too. I especially like the scene in the Bierst�be. Great fun even though it�s violent as hell.
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2011 at 6:42pm
The Killing (1956)
Awesome crime film from Stanley Kubrick. Highly recommended, 4/5
Phonebook Eater View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phonebook Eater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2011 at 9:43pm

^ I'm not familiar with his work, but I've been on a movie streak today and would be willing to watch a recommendation. Any good starting points in his filmography? Smile
If you're into really weird stuff, I recommend his debut Eraserhead, an wildly abstract film, which has become for me a classic. If you want more straight-forward stuff, but still surrealist, I strongly recommend "Mulholland Drive" : an easy 10/10 for me. 

My Album Reviews: http://audiopline.wordpress.com/
Movie Reviewing blog: http://moviepline.wordpress.com/
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2011 at 11:32pm

Paranormal Activity (2007)

This was probably a bad idea to watch at midnight! LOL Pretty decent horror movie with some good creepy moments. The acting was kinda mediocre, the character development was poor, and the scripting was iffy, but I actually ended up enjoying the film. Solid 3/5 from me.
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2011 at 11:54pm
Originally posted by Phonebook Eater Phonebook Eater wrote:

^ I'm not familiar with his work, but I've been on a movie streak today and would be willing to watch a recommendation. Any good starting points in his filmography? Smile
If you're into really weird stuff, I recommend his debut Eraserhead, an wildly abstract film, which has become for me a classic. If you want more straight-forward stuff, but still surrealist, I strongly recommend "Mulholland Drive" : an easy 10/10 for me. 

I'll have to check 'em out. Smile
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2011 at 4:12am
Watching this now!

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - 29 Oct 2011 at 4:13am
GLAM METAL!
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2011 at 10:40am
Wedding Crashers (2005)
Watched this one last night... I didn't enjoy it very much. The first half had a lot of potential to be a terrific guy-comedy, but the second half turns into a chick flick about love and friendship and other shit. I guess the acting, scripting, and first half are good... it's just not nearly as funny and enjoyable as I thought it would be. 2.5 / 5
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2011 at 2:52pm
^I actually kind of like it. Embarrassed

Oh well I watched this one last night with a buddy of mine. There were a couple of scenes so ridiculous that I couldn�t help to laugh, but it was generally just pretty lame and not at all as funny as I had imagined. Maybe it would have been more funny if I had smoked some of that awesome weed they grow in that underground bunkerSmoke:

Edited by UMUR - 29 Oct 2011 at 2:52pm
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2011 at 4:00pm

Not exactly a film, but still.... actually, I am watching it right now.
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2011 at 4:37pm

^I actually kind of like it. Embarrassed

Well it certainly wasn't bad, but I was expecting it to be a bit better. It did have some great scenes though. Thumbs Up

I may have enjoyed it a bit more if I watched it with some buddies rather than by myself... laughter is contagious, you know. Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 256>
  Share Topic