MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recently Watched Films

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5657585960 256>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keefer1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2017 at 5:06pm
Rumpelstiltskin (1995) - the fairy-tale gnome has been trapped inside a figurine since medieval times, but now he's on the loose in '90s Los Angeles, where he has nefarious plans for a young widow and her baby son.

...cheap direct-to-video cheez from the writer/director of the original "Leprechaun"... which tells you pretty much everything you need to know.  :D
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 2:45pm
This one was pretty bad:

keefer1970 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keefer1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2017 at 3:53pm
Quantum of Solace (2009) and Skyfall (2012) - still working my way thru the Daniel Craig 007 era thus far 

Kong: Skull Island (2017) - Big, loud, silly giant monster fun!

Suspiria (1977) and Inferno (1980) - parts 1 and 2 of Italian horror meister Dario Argento's "Three Mothers Trilogy"

Edited by keefer1970 - 28 Sep 2017 at 3:54pm
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 1:19pm
Sisslith View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Power & Neo, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sisslith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 2:14pm
- Mu ji zhe (2017): interesting and enjoyable Chinese mystery flick.
- It (2017): very good remake. Better than the original, in my opinion.
- The Basketball Diaries (1995): one of the best anti-drugs films I've seen. Leonardo Dicaprio gives an excellent performance.
- Kansen (2004): Japanese terror film with a very complicated and symbolic plot.

Edited by Sisslith - 04 Oct 2017 at 2:20pm
Only the dead have seen the end of war.
Without music, life would be a mistake.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2017 at 11:16am
A bit of a B-grade acted movie, but I still kind of liked it:

siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 12:25am
This was quite excellent to my surprise. 
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 11:03pm

Riding High (1981)
Slight spoiler alert!

Basically an excuse to hook together a number of Eddie Kidd motorbike jumps, footage of Eddie Kidd riding bikes, and a couple of comedy turns among an implausible story with more holes in it than a sieve. The jump at the end over an 80 feet gap in a disused viaduct across the Blackwater River is a fucking ripper!

Kidd can't act for shit, but it doesn't really matter. Irene Handl, playing his Granny hams it up for all she's worth. A young Lynda Bellingham is wasted as Miss Mott. Some of the supporting characters aren't bad, like Dorking (Zoot Money), Astro (Owen Whittaker, who has a funny incident with a truck) and The Halifax Hellcat (Ken Kitson). Otherwise, Marvin Ravensdorf (Murray Salem) would probably be called borderline racist today with his portrayal of a money-grabbing Jewish promoter, Judas S. Chariot (Bill Mitchell) is a bit cliched as a washed-out drunk former stuntman a la Evel Knievel, and Zoro (Marella Oppenheim) has a nice ass but is a wooden character.

The soundtrack isn't bad, featuring mostly late-70s/early-80s soft rock/synth pop, along with Eddie Kidd's anything-but-metal rendition of "Heavy Metal".

Overall, silly escapist fun. I had the book of this movie when I was a kid, and my brothers and I read it repeatedly 'til it died. A case of the book being better than the movie if ever there was one.

2/5
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 4:33pm
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keefer1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 2:00pm
Godzilla: Final Wars (2004) - The Big G's 50th Anniversary flick has enuff plot for twelve movies; doesn't make a lick of sense but it's a ton o'fun to watch.

Curtains (1983) - Disappointingly slow moving slasher flick set at a movie audition

Tales of Halloween (2015) - ten short horror stories all set in the same town on All Hallows' Eve. Lotsa low budget fun ala "Creepshow" or "Trick r' Treat."

Last Showing (2014) Robert Englund as a crazed movie theater employee who traps a couple in the cinema overnight and forces them to star in their own "horror movie." Not great but I've seen worse.

Truck Turner (1974) Soul music legend Isaac Hayes as a badass L.A. skip tracer/bounty hunter. Action packed sleazy fun.

The Burning (1981) Surprisingly brutal summer-camp slasher flick, a cut above the usual for the genre (sorry, I couldn't resist).

Hush (2016) - Deaf/mute woman at a secluded cabin vs. murderous home invader. Hilarity ensues. 

Gerald's Game (2017) - Netflix original based on the Stephen King novel about a sexy-time game gone wrong. Weird, disturbing, worth watching in spit of the cop out ending. 
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 11:30pm

Amazing film. It's a bit slow at first and I wish there was a bit more explanation for a couple things, but overall I found it incredibly suspenseful and kept me on the edge of my seat. 
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 10:53pm
Hellraiser and Hellraiser II: Hellbound.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keefer1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 10:05am
Jaws 2 (1978) - sequel that's not even in the same ballpark as Spielberg's original, of course, but it's still a halfway decent creature feature. Lord knows it's better than the rest of the "Jaws" flicks that followed it... 

Edited by keefer1970 - 13 Oct 2017 at 10:06am
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 11:40am
Originally posted by Psydye Psydye wrote:

Hellraiser and Hellraiser II: Hellbound.
I love those first two Hellraiser movies. From then it went badly downhill though.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 1:50pm
Pretty sad excuse for at sci-fi movie this one:

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 9:10am
Pretty great vampire movie this one. Definitely worth watching:

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2017 at 8:41am
The first one was pretty decent, but this follow-up is not worth watching:
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keefer1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 3:25pm
Halloween III: Season of the Witch (1982) - small town doctor tries to stop mass murder on a nationwide scale via specially programmed masks and a devious TV commercial. Ignored back in the day, cult classic now. 

Cult of Chucky (2017) - The lone survivor of last year's "Curse of Chucky" is locked up in a looneybin when the killer doll comes looking for her. Hilarity does not ensue. A surprisingly dark flick that's actually quite badass -- which makes two in a row for ol' Chucky. Who'da thunk? Not bad for a franchise I wrote off twenty plus years ago.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 9:23am
Hmm...it´s a bit hard to love this one, if you´ve read the books, but if you disregard the books, it´s a fairly decent movie:
I do hope sometime in the future, they´ll make a film series ala Lord of the Rings out the source material, because the there are so many details and stories within the books, which deserve to be transfered to the screen.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2017 at 3:38pm
^ I want to see it, but I'm very sceptical about it. 

As for me, I've recently watched a few on netflix:

The Unfolding (2016):

I saw this through, but it was pretty much your typical paranormal found footage style horror, though with the twist that it was set in the run up to the whole world going nuclear. Which for me made it make little sense: why are these people so concerned about a haunted house (that isn't even theirs) when nuclear Armageddon is just around the corner? 

The Descent (2005):

This was a pretty decent horror, though I felt it's twist ending (which felt pretty generic for horror to me) was pretty bad. Cheapened the events of the film IMO.

Visions (2015):

Watchable horror with a twist I didn't see coming. Good but not great. 

Gerald's Game (2017):

Netflix made film of the Stephen King book. Not read it, so I can't say how accurate it is. Thought the film was slow but enjoyable. 

And also watched the new Pirates of the Caribbean on DVD. Enjoyed it but they'll never top the original or even the second. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5657585960 256>
  Share Topic