Recently Watched Films

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3334353637 257>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2022 at 4:41am
^ By chance have you picked up Arrow's Years of Lead boxset? I was looking at that one but I haven't taken the plunge yet.
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 11:05pm
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2022 at 11:01pm
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2022 at 12:21pm

I think I have to count Ryusuke Hamaguchi among my top directors now. My fourth film from him and his work is so damn captivating, especially with dialogue (even though I'm reading subs). 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2022 at 2:13pm

I have wildly mixed feelings on this one.

Being a niche movie to begin with (it's over five and a half hours long), it's the kind of film that you need to be in the right mood and frame of mind for before even attempting it, and I'm not convinced I was in it today. But I only had until May 4th to check this out, so there's that. 

That said, this isn't my first foray into what's known as slow cinema and I have seen a film in the style that's got about another two hours on this one and I was captivated by that. With this film I just wasn't feeling it. I never reached a point that I could say I disliked the film, but I was left many times just wishing it would get a move on. 

By the time I eventually got to the final hour (done in shifts across the entire day) I found I couldn't care less about it and was just sticking with it out of stubbornness of having gone that far with it already. 

Even for slow cinema, I felt many times I could leave the film running, leave the room to make a cup of tea and I still wouldn't have actually missed anything. 

Other slow cinema films like Stalker opened up on the subsequent viewings, but I don't see myself inclined to ever try this one again, should I find I have access to it again in the future. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2022 at 4:24am

Quite a powerful statement against anti-Semitism in post-World War Two USA. Features a very young Dean Stockwell.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2022 at 2:16am

Wong Kar-wai is a highly acclaimed director, but I cannot see how this can be among his best works. A watchable movie that never bores precisely, but it's kinda just 'there'. I also can't decide if its supposed to have such a surreal dreamlike quality or the colour grading is just weird (read: bad).

Very solid. Not seeing why people don't like this one. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2022 at 11:08pm

This was everything Ready Player One should have been and wasn't. Great fun, lots of gaming humour, several great actors free to just let rip and enjoy themselves, looks amazing... and yeah.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2022 at 8:42pm

Similar idea to NZ-made The Devil's Rock (2011) but with a bigger budget and more bang. A good one to sit back and watch with your brain out of gear.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2022 at 3:39am

That was better than I expected. I was thinking it would be another dreary teary drama like Terms of Endearment that goes fucking nowhere, but the way Ted and Billy's relationship built and strengthened keeps it interesting all the way through. And apparently Dustin Hoffman was a complete shit to Meryl Streep while working on this, and she's never forgiven him (don't blame her!)

This also means the 1970s is the first decade I've completed in watching all the Best Picture Oscar movies, although I'm going to give the two Godfathers and The Sting rewatches because I haven't seen them in a very long time.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2022 at 12:34am

The trouble with two part films is that they're only half a story. Nothing will stop that being true here as well, but I guess Hollywood filmmakers leave the 5+ hour epics to world cinema auteurs. 

Otherwise it's very good, though lacks some of the impact of Villeneuve's best works, perhaps for the above reason. It's a 2 and a half hour long film that takes that long to get it's first major plot development set in motion. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2022 at 12:16am

I've never seen this movie or the live show before, but this was excellent. It has everything a good musical needs - a simple story (complex plots get lost in musicals), great music, and some brilliant dancing. 
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2022 at 9:59pm

A run through of some of the most important events of the first third of the 20th century through the eyes of two families. Based on a Noel Coward play, this was quite the stage spectacle, but it doesn't transfer so well to film. The first half is entertaining, but it starts to drag in the second. A movie of it's time I think.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2022 at 10:29am

The final disc of my Chaplin boxset. Consists of three early short films. A Dog's Life was excellent. The other two were solid. 

There's a handful of other shorts as bonus features on a few discs still to wait. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2022 at 3:51am

So this is either pretentious wank or I didn't get it.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2022 at 7:57am

It's a slice of life film, so not a lot really 'happens' by usual movie standards. This was oddly compelling though, full of quirks and a brilliant dog (though that dog is absolutely not a good boy!). There's even a cameo from the kids from Moonrise Kingdom as students in one scene.
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2022 at 2:34pm

The last feature film in my Chaplin boxset (although not the last he directed). This isn't his best work, but it has some really funny stuff especially in the first couple of acts but the final act gets a lot more serious and turns into a statement about the Red Scare that Chaplin got caught up in. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2022 at 3:32am

That's some fucked up shit. I reckon I might have seen some of this before but couldn't really remember it. And the Clint Mansell soundtrack is brilliant.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2022 at 12:34am

I don't care what anybody says, this is ESSENTIAL canuxploitation
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2022 at 1:41pm
It's a nice looking Jersey cow though. They're a nice breed to work with. The bulls are fucking nuts though.LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3334353637 257>
  Share Topic