Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recently Watched Films

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 227228229230231 256>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Power & Neo, Goth & Symph, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2022 at 2:15pm
Yeah, I've never seen anything beyond T3 either, and from what I've heard it sounds like the lore beyond that point gets so convoluted, with all the retconns, resets and just random fucking around with the timeline, that even fans of the series have a hard time trying to keep everything in order, lol I thought the first two were both masterpieces, then the third one was solid, but a big drop off in quality, and I suspect my enjoyment would only slip off more with the later entries.
DippoMagoo View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2022 at 9:49pm
This one was pretty solid. Early on I was a bit afraid it would turn into a cringey comedy, and I found Katy annoying most of the time, but otherwise it was mostly quite fun, and I did like both the MC and the villain quite a bit (this is definitely NOT one of those MCU movies where the females upstage the males, lol) I thought the middle stretch was the most enjoyable, though the ending was still mostly fun, aside from some extreme "WTF" levels of CGI LOL
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2022 at 2:33am
^ Next one will be a real test: Eternals. 

Personally I enjoyed it but I do think it's a weaker MCU entry. And certainly the one with the most bloated runtime. It's also the only MCU movie which isn't primarily an action movie, so it represents quite a sudden change in pace. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2022 at 4:32am

The first Lerner and Loewe musical since My Fair Lady, and what do they do with it? Why, it's My Fair Lady II: The Paris Edition! Looks incredible (costuming and direction both rightly praised), but the story is weak as is often the case in musicals, and it's just not as memorable as it's predecessor.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2022 at 8:55am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

^ Next one will be a real test: Eternals. 

Personally I enjoyed it but I do think it's a weaker MCU entry. And certainly the one with the most bloated runtime. It's also the only MCU movie which isn't primarily an action movie, so it represents quite a sudden change in pace. 
Yeah, I'm honestly curious to see how it goes. I haven't heard anything that suggests I'll dislike it, but on other hand, pretty much everyone seems to, so I guess I'll see later tonight.

I'm also now two movies away from my temporary Marvel retirement, while waiting for the new Doctor Strange to be available digitally, lol. I'll definitely watch the Disney + series one at a time over the next year or so, but I will think try and pace myself, and at least wait a month or so before starting any of them.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2022 at 11:32am
Just remember to watch at least Wandavision before Doctor Strange 2. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2022 at 11:34am
Yeah, depending on how long I'm waiting for Doctor Strange, either that or Loki will most likely end up being the first series I watch (I say the latter, because it's the one I'm personally the most interested in, and I've heard very good things about it.)
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2022 at 11:38am
Loki was great and I can see it being important to the movies as we go deeper into Phase 4. And it's one of only a couple of the shows that is continuing beyond a single season. 

The characters from it were previously announced to appear in Doctor Strange 2, but that doesn't seem to have happened in the end. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2022 at 4:27pm
Now that I finished Columbia Noir 4, I've started another Indicator boxset: John Ford at Columbia. I actually watched the first of these a few days ago, but overlooked posting it:

This was really good. Edward G. Robinson in a dual role. 

This one though I have mixed feelings on. It's the film out of the set of four I was least interested in, but I thought it was going to be a pleasant surprise based on its first act, where it's quite comedic. As it progresses though it starts to downplay the comedy and started to drag. This is a true story (with some artistic licence) but I guess I just didn't find the person it's about especially interesting.  

Also watched today:

This one subverts a lot of expectations. Weirder than expected. Less violent than expected (though certainly as foul mouthed as expected). Tough nut Ray Winstone showing a vulnerable side. Ian McShane as a gay gambler. John Hurt as a cantankerous bigot always with a jibe ready, among other well known British faces. Somehow it works. Leaves some stuff open, but I enjoyed it. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2022 at 9:57pm
Well, I don't think it's the worst MCU movie, but that's only because the two Ant-Man movies exist LOL

I can easily see why it's widely considered the worst, though, because oh boy is it ever one hell of a mess. I've seen people say a more fleshed out Disney+ series could have worked better, but I'm honestly not convinced there's much of a story or memorable enough characters here in the first place. There was nothing outrageously bad for the most part (one late movie "twist" had me laughing my ass off like a maniac at how stupid and predictable it was, lol) but it somehow felt rushed and poorly paced at the same time, like it managed to drag while also feeling like it was randomly jumping between scenes and different times periods for no reason. There were a few interesting parts here and there, but overall it was definitely not a good movie, and the whole "Eternals will return" definitely feels more like a threat than a promise, lol
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2022 at 12:10am

more of a mess than I remembered, especially the last 10 minutes
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2022 at 4:28am

Quite a gentle feel-good movie, which I suppose was what people wanted sometimes during WWII. Despite being about a Catholic priest, the religious element never seems to intrude or get preachy. It's also classed as a musical, but it's really more a movie with songs in.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2022 at 5:30am
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

more of a mess than I remembered, especially the last 10 minutes

It ain't perfect by any means but I personally love this one. One of the giallo master's more full on horror efforts with some pretty crazy elements. 

And it gave me a new appreciation for Maiden's Flash of a Blade. 
GG2U

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2022 at 11:17am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Loki was great and I can see it being important to the movies as we go deeper into Phase 4. And it's one of only a couple of the shows that is continuing beyond a single season. 

The characters from it were previously announced to appear in Doctor Strange 2, but that doesn't seem to have happened in the end. 

I loved Loki. Definitely the best Marvel TV-series so far.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2022 at 1:33pm

A lot of people have turned on this movie since it came out. It went from being the shit to one of those movies its become cool to take a shit on. I'm less enthralled than I used to be I admit, but it's still an enjoyable watch. My main problem with it is that having watched a lot of westerns since I first saw this I realised the story is just Cowboys and Indians all over again. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2022 at 1:41pm
Just read somewhere Multi-Verse of Madness will be on Disney+ later this month, so I guess I will end up watching Wanda-Vision before Loki, after all. I'll probably start a few days before the 22nd, so I'll be ready right on time for Doctor Strange. 
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2022 at 10:10pm
Going into my MCU run, Infinity War and this were my two most anticipated movies, from what I had heard about them. Infinity War fully lived up to its hype, to the point where I didn't think it or Endgame could get topped, but this one is somehow even better! I won't go into full details, but yeah, everything I was excited for was only better on screen than in my mind, and in terms of pacing and overall execution, I think it's definitely one of the absolute best in the MCU. The nostalgia factor is obviously what pushes it to the absolute top, though. 
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2022 at 1:56am

A day in the life of a Scotland Yard inspector. A rare British film from John Ford. Played in a really quirky way - not an outright comedy - but manages to really nail the British sense of humour. An achievement for a director with Irish ancestry who apparently didn't have much time for us Brits. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2022 at 2:00am
Originally posted by DippoMagoo DippoMagoo wrote:

Going into my MCU run, Infinity War and this were my two most anticipated movies, from what I had heard about them. Infinity War fully lived up to its hype, to the point where I didn't think it or Endgame could get topped, but this one is somehow even better! I won't go into full details, but yeah, everything I was excited for was only better on screen than in my mind, and in terms of pacing and overall execution, I think it's definitely one of the absolute best in the MCU. The nostalgia factor is obviously what pushes it to the absolute top, though. 

You've made me want to do a full MCU run.

It's such a hard thing to do though, after your first time watching them all, since there's so many new entries being added every year. Especially now TV shows count in the main Phase canon. I don't think I could fit 27 films in before Doctor Strange 2 drops on Disney+. And that's without going through the shows again. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2022 at 4:11am

Wow, one hell of a story! And so fucking long... It's a lot better than I expected. Some bits of it are kind of shit, but there's some proper drama which still holds up today in others. It's often called racist, as it glorifies the antebellum era of the southern states, but I think it also reflects a lot of the attitudes of both the 1860s when it was set and the 1930s when it was made which makes some people uncomfortable.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 227228229230231 256>
  Share Topic