Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recently Watched Films

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 222223224225226 256>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2022 at 12:26am
^ I think people would even so much as think about that movie a bit more if they hadn't changed the Hulk's actor. 

Phase One in general is easily the weakest MCU phase though. It was still finding its feet. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2022 at 12:37am

This could very easily have been fucked up, but it wasn't. Also amazing.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2022 at 12:44am
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

This could very easily have been fucked up, but it wasn't. Also amazing.

I think I slightly prefer this one, even. I love the flashbacks with De Niro as young Vito. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2022 at 8:03am

Meh. I've done better with first time viewings of Tarkovsky films with the last couple I've watched, including The Sacrifice the other day, but this one is just dreary, boring and depressing, with not one moment that lets me actually get invested in it. Tarkovsky films can go better on a second watch, which happened for me with both Stalker and Solaris, but it's going to be a long time before I want to give this one a second chance. If ever. 
GG2U

DippoMagoo View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Power & Neo, Goth & Symph, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2022 at 11:41am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

^ I think people would even so much as think about that movie a bit more if they hadn't changed the Hulk's actor. 

Phase One in general is easily the weakest MCU phase though. It was still finding its feet. 

Yeah, I find it kinda funny how it's considered part of the MCU, yet I specifically remember them having a different actor for him in The Avengers. It's weird, because I heard people say the old Hulk movie was essentially erased by this one, but from what I remember, this gives me less information I needed to know about him in The Avengers, than what I felt it was missing (I was honestly clueless as to what was going on with him about half of the movie, either because they did a bad job of recapping stuff from the old version, or re-telling it and kinda just rushed things, lol) 

But yeah, after Iron Man 2 I have two part 1 movies I haven't seen (but saw sequels for, somehow, lol), then after that it's a run of 5 movies I've already seen, and most of those were excellent, so I'm sure the MCU will eventually deliver for me, even if not all the movies are good. I'm especially intrigued by Infinity War and the new Spider-Man movies, plus I have a friend who's obsessed with Doctor Strange, so I'm curious to see how I like his movies.

Edited by DippoMagoo - 08 May 2022 at 11:43am
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2022 at 1:30pm
The old Hulk movie from 2003 wasn't so much erased as just nothing to do with The Incredible Hulk. Different continuity/universe. They recast Norton for Ruffalo in The Avengers, but its the same incarnation. Same deal for Rhodey between Iron Man 1 and 2. 

Then you also get the odd actor who has played more than one role in the MCU, just to complicate it further. 

The MCU is pretty much the MCM now, so know knows which older movies will eventually be made canon to the MCU.

One thing with the MCU to remember is that if you're sticking it out all the way to the current Phase Four, then the TV shows on Disney+ become essential viewing in between the movies. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2022 at 4:56pm
I was planning on watching the TV shows eventually, but I was under the impression they were mostly optional, aside from Wandavision being tied to the new Doctor Strange. Either way, it'll be at least a few weeks before I'm even caught up the current movies I have available (up to No Way Home, since I can just rent a digital copy to watch for now.) So, once I get to that point I'll figure out how I'll handle the shows and everything else. 

Not as good as the first Iron Man, which is on track with what I remembered. I still love Stark himself, and the action sequences towards the end are great, but I feel it juggles too much between many different plot elements, so it quickly loses focus and never really gets back on track until near the end. The first half is especially messy and kinda boring. It does have some great moments, though. Oh, and Sam Rockwell is insanely annoying, even more so than Jeff Bridges was in the first one (and I remember Guy Pearce driving me insane in IM3, so it pulls off the perfect trifecta, I guess LOL)

Edited by DippoMagoo - 08 May 2022 at 5:08pm
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2022 at 2:23am

Klaus Kinski is a man fresh out of ten years in prison for a crime he didn't do. In true western style, he immediately sets out for revenge on those who wronged him. Making his move during a tornado, the film takes on the stylings of a horror movie with Kinski as a bogeyman figure. If, you know, the bogeyman was the hero. All in all, quite solid if never spectacular. 

It always takes me a few scenes to get into this film's style, but once I do I always love it. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2022 at 6:40pm
An MCU movie where I actually like the main villain at least as much, if not more so than the hero? I didn't see that one coming LOL 

Yeah, I already saw Loki and Thor from the first Avengers movie and The Dark World years back, but seeing how their story begins was still a lot of fun. I've seen mixed reviews for this one and I can kinda see why, but I just had a whole lot of fun with it, and it's probably my second favorite of the run so far (behind the first Iron Man.) Chris Hemsworth and Tom Hiddleston are both phenomenal, and everything else is kinda cheesy, but in a good way, imo.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2022 at 9:56pm

Another case where I had seen the character in other movies before (Avengers and Winter Soldier) but hadn't actually seen his origin story. In fact, while I already knew a bit about Hulk from outside sources and knew about Thor from Norse mythology (which, to be fair, the Marvel version doesn't exactly follow too strictly, lol) I knew next to nothing about Captain America, aside from the fact he fights with a shield and fell asleep in the 1940's, then woke up in the 2000's. I had no clue he had such a big underdog story to him, and I found this quite charming, interesting and a lot of fun.

I likely won't watch any more for a few days, since I'll be busy doing other stuff, but either this weekend or early next week I'll start the cycle of 5 movies in a row I already seen before (which ironically is also as far as I've seen), starting with the big event that ends phase 1. I had meh feelings on it before, but I have a feeling it'll go better now, having seen all previous movies beforehand. I think for now I'll just focus on getting through to the end of Phase 3, since that seems straight-forward, and then if I'm still feeling it, I'll try and figure out the epic mess that is how to tackle Phase 4 LOL

Edited by DippoMagoo - 09 May 2022 at 9:58pm
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2022 at 11:52pm

That was a lot of fun. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2022 at 12:06am
Originally posted by DippoMagoo DippoMagoo wrote:

I'll try and figure out the epic mess that is how to tackle Phase 4 LOL

It's not as complex as it might look.

The only series you will need to have seen to keep up with the movies at this point is WandaVision, since that ties directly into the new Doctor Strange. A while ago they said you would need to see Loki season 1 as well, but that doesn't look like its actually the case. You can watch all other Phase 4 movies without worrying about the shows.

Obviously when they eventually do Captain America 4, you will need to have seen The Falcon and the Winter Soldier first.

Those two plus Loki and Hawkeye all follow on from characters established in Phases 1-3. But so far WandaVision is the only one that's essential for watching a movie. Moon Knight can be enjoyed at any time, even with no prior MCU knowledge, though he is supposed to at some point make the jump to the movies, at which time you will need to have seen it. You will also need to have seen Ms. Marvel, the next show coming out, prior to the release of The Marvels, but on the current slate that's still five movies away. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2022 at 12:28am
Okay, if that's the case I may as well just focus on watching all the movies for now, up until No Way Home, then I can decide if I'm invested enough to watch all the shows (I'm guessing I will be, but probably spaced in between some other stuff.) I know for sure I'll be interested in the Loki and Winter Soldier ones, based on my enjoyment of their previous appearances I've seen.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2022 at 5:12am
Columbia Noir #4 Disc 2: Walk East on Beacon

Really solid spy noir based around fact (actually from writings of J Edgar Hoover). 

Three Stooges:

This is actually just a near total rehash of footage from the short Dunked in the Deep, which unideally was the short on Columbia Noir 4 disc 1. It only exists because of contractual obligations that Columbia said stood in spite of the death of Shemp. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2022 at 3:10pm

I love this atmospheric jewel of a film.

This was impossible to watch without getting emotional the first time I saw it and it's even more so with a war currently happening in the world. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2022 at 6:10am

I don't normally go in for boxing pictures but this was good. Directed by John Huston who made quite a few all time favourites of mine and on whose strength I decided to check it out. Glad I did. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2022 at 1:25pm

I just upgraded my copy of the first one to blu-ray, so that led to a back to back re-watch.

I really wish Part III was scheduled for sooner than 2025. Time jump confirmed maybe? The child actors will have grown a lot by then (now). 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2022 at 12:46am
Columbia Noir #4 disc 3: Pushover

Strong shades of Double Indemnity here, not just from its casting of the same male lead. But the best one of set 4 so far.

Three Stooges:

One of the few where the lads don't play themselves and structured a bit differently than all other Stooges shorts I've watched. Solid but not one of their best. It was the last to feature Shemp before his death.
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2022 at 4:07pm

More difficult to take in during a single sitting than the two Quiet Place movies. Had to take a break with about half of the second one to run. 

Very 80s, which isn't a bad thing. Another good fun film like Lethal Weapon. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2022 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Very 80s, which isn't a bad thing. Another good fun film like Lethal Weapon. 

My friend's mother would tell us off for swearing (not very seriously) and say "I hope you aren't using any of those Foley words".Wink Because yeah, this is a bit sweary.Big smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 222223224225226 256>
  Share Topic