Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recently Watched Films

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 211212213214215 256>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2022 at 11:42pm
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

First screened 16 February 1922, so it's 100 years old. Creepier than the 1931 Dracula, but a bit sillier in places, with some of the silent actors overacting too much. Hadn't realised it was an unauthorised adaptation of Dracula. Bram Stoker's heirs sued, won, and ordered the film destroyed, but copies survived.

I was under the impression it debuted on March 4th, 1922? I've been actively planning to re-watch this on its 100th birthday so I'll be quite disappointed if it was actually yesterday. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2022 at 12:43am

A thought provoking film: after death, you spend one week in limbo, where you must pick a single memory to keep for eternity but forget everything else. The alternative is being stuck in limbo and become a social worker. 

While not as classic as the first one, I consider this rather underrated. 

Far from Bond at its best, but all in all a fun enough film. This is the one older Bond I know I've seen before, but only a couple of scenes remained familiar to me.

I've always said this one was unfairly maligned but watching it again so close to the originals does show it up as weaker. The problem was never that they made a female Ghostbusters, the problem was that they made them seem a lot more incompetent than the original male team. I do like the largely DIY feel of their gear in this version though. 

This is quite weird even for a Wes Anderson film. Flitting constantly between colour and black and white film and sometimes to animation, as well as an ever changing aspect ratio, as it tells different stories from the final issue of the fictional magazine. There's a large ensemble cast of Anderson regulars and newcomers, but I wouldn't rank this among his best.
GG2U

DeathofMan View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeathofMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2022 at 2:31am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

This is quite weird even for a Wes Anderson film. Flitting constantly between colour and black and white film and sometimes to animation, as well as an ever changing aspect ratio, as it tells different stories from the final issue of the fictional magazine. There's a large ensemble cast of Anderson regulars and newcomers, but I wouldn't rank this among his best.

I’m a big Anderson fan, been meaning to see this one. I haven’t watched any trailers or anything so I don’t know what to expect, but it sounds interesting from your description, even if it isn’t his best. I might just watch it this weekend

Edited by DeathofMan - 17 Feb 2022 at 2:32am
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2022 at 10:40am

Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

First screened 16 February 1922, so it's 100 years old. Creepier than the 1931 Dracula, but a bit sillier in places, with some of the silent actors overacting too much. Hadn't realised it was an unauthorised adaptation of Dracula. Bram Stoker's heirs sued, won, and ordered the film destroyed, but copies survived.

I was under the impression it debuted on March 4th, 1922? I've been actively planning to re-watch this on its 100th birthday so I'll be quite disappointed if it was actually yesterday. 

It was probably an advance screening or something. Looks like March 4 was the official release date.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2022 at 2:50pm

RYM really raves about this director's films, but I can't seem to bring myself to give one more than 4 stars yet. This one for example feels to me like it could easily have a good chunk of the runtime shaved off and still got its story across. 

Now the only Wes Anderson on my list to watch is his first one, Bottle Rocket. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2022 at 8:56pm

Now THAT was an uncomfortable watch... 

I can understand why it was controversial, but I think the controversy about the age of the actors misses the point. This shows what kids are exposed to, and of course will try to copy it. It also shows the difficulties facing women in some cultures - the cause of the main character acting up is upset for her mother and herself because her father is taking a second (bigamous) wife. 

Anyone finding it at all arousing has some serious problems.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2022 at 2:12am

Clint Eastwood, Richard Burton Ingrid Pitt, and enough double-crossing and cable car escapades to make your head spin. And also an Iron Maiden song.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2022 at 8:00pm

NOT an Iron Maiden song, and here's dumbass me thinking it was.LOL Anyway, great movie. For a non-actor, Frank Sinatra does really well (the academy agreed - he won an Oscar) and doesn't seem out of place round Burt Lancaster and Montgomery Clift. And Donna Reed and Deborah Kerr playing against type were excellent too.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2022 at 12:06am

Only took me 24 years to get around to seeing this... Anyway, fucking brilliant!
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeathofMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2022 at 2:46am

Now the only Wes Anderson on my list to watch is his first one, Bottle Rocket. 

My all time favorite Wes Anderson Movie!
As a kid, I went to the summer camp this was filmed at every year, Camp Yawgoog in Rhode Island!
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2022 at 3:20pm

Dragged a bit for me. Not the most stupid Bond has ever got but also not the most fun. 

Fucking mental! While possibly to be filed under 'so bad, it's good' I had quite a blast with this one. 

This Kingsman prequel completely changed the tone of the series. It's a fine enough movie, but I wasn't entertained in the same way. 
GG2U

Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeathofMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2022 at 5:00pm

Based off of the life of actor/producer, Gary Goetzman, Licorice Pizza follows the misadventures and exploits of 15 year old boy, Garry Valentine, and 25 year old woman, Alana Kane. The movie has lots of short unresolved plot lines that almost break it up into several related short films, with everything connected by the strange will they/wont they relationship of Gary and Alana. Overall, I thought the movie was very interesting and enjoyable, but it also left a lot of questions unanswered, which was kind of unsatisfying. 8/10
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2022 at 1:28am

I love stupid ultra-violence. I love this movie.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2022 at 1:01pm

Pretty good factual drama (with some embellishments and inaccuracies). I visited this place many years ago and it was pretty underwhelming, but the film's quite enjoyable. 
GG2U

Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2022 at 12:20am

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2022 at 11:55pm

ok, this rules
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2022 at 8:54pm
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeathofMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2022 at 2:34am
^What did you think of the Uzumaki movie? I’m a big fan of Junji Ito, but I heard a lot of the film adaptations of his works weren’t that good
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2022 at 9:42am
Originally posted by DeathofMan DeathofMan wrote:

^What did you think of the Uzumaki movie? I’m a big fan of Junji Ito, but I heard a lot of the film adaptations of his works weren’t that good

It's a good mix between zany and creepy, the ending feels a bit rushed (and apparently different from the source material which wasn't completed yet at the time), overall enjoyed it

Edited by Triceratopsoil - 24 Feb 2022 at 9:43am
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2022 at 6:11pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 211212213214215 256>
  Share Topic