Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recently Watched Films

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 204205206207208 256>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2022 at 12:27am

Saoirse Ronan and Gemma Arterton - what more could you want from a movie? (well, besides a good story and great cinematography, but it's got all that too!)
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2022 at 9:17am
The first stinker watched in 2022:

Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2022 at 9:54am
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

Saoirse Ronan and Gemma Arterton - what more could you want from a movie? (well, besides a good story and great cinematography, but it's got all that too!)

A legitimate all time favourite of mine that hardly anyone seems to know. Nice to see it keeps getting some love here. The same director did the much more famous Interview with the Vampire film adaptation, but I prefer this one. 
GG2U

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2022 at 10:11am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

A legitimate all time favourite of mine that hardly anyone seems to know. Nice to see it keeps getting some love here. The same director did the much more famous Interview with the Vampire film adaptation, but I prefer this one. 

I liked this one too, and yes both main acresses are great in their roles.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2022 at 4:22pm

Starting a long overdue return journey through Middle-Earth. First time on the Extended versions of The Hobbit Trilogy. And first time on blu-ray for the entire series. Looks fantastic and there's some really entertaining antics from the dwarves that was cut in the theatrical versions. I get why those cuts were made, but the new scenes do add to the fun of the movie. This was always the best one of The Hobbit films for me, the second and especially third movies seemed to lose something in the theatricals, but we'll see how the extended versions of those impact the experience. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2022 at 7:30pm

NOW I've seen every movie mentioned in Science Fiction Double Feature from The Rocky Horror Show. Unfortunately, this is also the worst one of the lot. And if anyone's interested, here's the movies:
  • The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951)
  • Flash Gordon (it was still only a movie serial when this song was written. The campy movie didn't come until 1980)
  • The Invisible Man (1933)
  • King Kong (1933)
  • It Came From Outer Space (1953)
  • Doctor X (1932)
  • Forbidden Planet (1956)
  • Tarantula! (1955)
  • The Day of the Triffids (1962, but the 1981 series is better)
  • Night of the Demon (1957)
  • When Worlds Collide (1951)
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2022 at 1:01am

Brutal, funny, powerful, a bit confusing, and the last scenes were filmed in New Zealand, which I wasn't aware of.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2022 at 8:49am

Some interesting additions added to the extended cut of this one, including Gandalf discovering Thorin's father alive. Overall I think this one still isn't quite as good as the first but still very good, and the extended cut does add some more LotR tie-in and lore. 
GG2U

Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2022 at 6:08pm
I've been watching a lot of movies on Tubi lately (the price is right anyway!), and last night watched Night Game, starring Roy Scheider (Jaws). A decent cop/serial killer movie, a tad predictable though. Still worth a watch.

Edited by Stooge - 04 Jan 2022 at 6:11pm
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2022 at 11:27pm

So funny, but scarily so plausible. 
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2022 at 2:29am

A very simple story, and a very short movie (64 minutes), but it's going to stick with you. Be warned: could be construed as exploitative by today's standards.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2022 at 7:48am

The extended edition of the final film primarily just amps up the battle itself to 11, to the point that in the UK the film got reappraised by the BBFC as a 15 instead of a 12. I'd say the film is improved by going all out with the battle, but as a film it does still suffer from most of the film being one long climatic battle. If you think of the trilogy as one very long film the length of the battle makes more sense, but as an individual film it still lacks something the others don't. 
GG2U

DippoMagoo View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Power & Neo, Goth & Symph, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2022 at 9:32am
^I've only ever watched the first two movies, somehow, but I always thought breaking that particular book into three movies, when the three longer LOTR books only needed one movie each, was nothing but pure greed, so I'm not surprised the pacing seems to have been completely ruined.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2022 at 11:17am
If they just wanted to make The Hobbit they could have done it in one film. The book itself doesn't set all that much up for The Lord of the Rings, so they drew on other sources to build a more complete picture of what was happening before The Fellowship of the Ring. The extended Hobbit's add even more to that tie-in material. The result is something that feels part of one long saga, not just a story set in the same world. 

By comparison as well, each LoTR film has considerable more cut from the source text even in the extended editions. While interlaced with tie-in material, you do actually get all of The Hobbit novel as I remember it across three films. We would not have done so if they'd instead made one film. 
GG2U

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2022 at 12:11pm

Brutal, funny, powerful, a bit confusing, and the last scenes were filmed in New Zealand, which I wasn't aware of.

I love this one. The middle movie of the Park Chan-wook vengeance trilogy (Sympathy for Mister Vengeance and Lady Vengeance bookending it). Although the motive for revenge in this movie is a bit out there, it´s still a stunning movie visually and yeah it´s quite brutal too.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2022 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

I love this one. The middle movie of the Park Chan-wook vengeance trilogy (Sympathy for Mister Vengeance and Lady Vengeance bookending it). Although the motive for revenge in this movie is a bit out there, it´s still a stunning movie visually and yeah it´s quite brutal too.

The Koreans sure know how to make a brutal movie. I believe I Saw the Devil may outdo this one though. That's a hell of a serial killer movie if you've ever seen it. 
GG2U

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2022 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

The Koreans sure know how to make a brutal movie. I believe I Saw the Devil may outdo this one though. That's a hell of a serial killer movie if you've ever seen it. 

Not yet, but you recommended it before, and it´s on my to watch list Thumbs Up
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2022 at 12:27pm

So funny, but scarily so plausible. 

Definitely worth watching...
666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2022 at 12:42pm
^ The news is always scaremongering about this asteroid or that comet. No one takes it seriously except the doomsday preppers. If (when) it does ever happen, I'm pretty sure people are going to react in exactly the same way as this movie. And that is terrifying. 
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2022 at 1:03pm
Sounds just like the pandemic. 
GG2U

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 204205206207208 256>
  Share Topic