Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recently Watched Films

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 203204205206207 256>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2021 at 10:18am
Pretty entertaining black comedy meet apocalypse (end of the world) movie: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11286314/

It reminds me a little of the absurdity of Idiocracy (2006): https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387808/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Edited by UMUR - 29 Dec 2021 at 10:20am
DeathofMan View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeathofMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2021 at 4:23pm
I just saw this one too. Wasn't a big fan. It felt too relevant and on the nose to be funny. Also, there were long portions of the movie where it just dragged on with nothing really happening. It made me feel more stressed and depressed than amused. Maybe in 20 years I'll look back and think this movie was really funny idk. 5/10

Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2021 at 9:13pm
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2021 at 1:08am

While not a Lawrence of Arabia or Khartoum, this addresses some pretty weighty issues of race and religion while being a ripping yarn.Tyrone Power is excellent, while the brown-faced actors aren't quite so convincing. Still, a different time with different standards.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2021 at 3:24pm

Wasn't that long ago I last saw this one and that was already a re-watch, but I got a physical copy for Xmas and watched it again. Luckily this, like pretty much every Robert Altman I've seen more than once, is one of those movies that seems to get better with every viewing. I'm pretty in awe of what I've seen from this guy so far actually. There's not one movie among them I'd say is like any of the others, even the two westerns of his I have. Images was his only horror movie (the psychological really fuck with your head kind). 

Stuck this on last night because I wasn't something casual and because I was obsessed with this movie as a kid. I had it recorded off of the TV on a store bought VHS tape and played it so many times over. I wanted to live in that treehouse, threats from pirates and tigers be damned. This was a real nostalgia kick. 

Lots of such dreary grey visuals you'd be forgiven if you mistook it for a black and white film at a glance, but boy is this stylish when it wants to be. I haven't seen many films from China yet, but this was very good. And there's some real crazy stuff in it too. 

Sartana 4 of 5. Still excellent and with the original actor back in the role after odd change for the middle film. The series hasn't lost steam yet. A really fun film. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2021 at 7:32pm

Scary shit, but it's also surprising how dumb some of the fakers are.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2021 at 11:27pm

Good, but still my least favourite of Zahler's 3 movies on rewatch.  There is something dumb and unsatisfying about the ending
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2021 at 11:42pm

Fucking brutal!
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2021 at 12:33am
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

Fucking brutal!

Great film. I keep hoping a better version gets released in the UK, but I believe it's tied up in rights issues. The DVD I have of it is pretty poor quality and doesn't include the Italian audio, which is said to be the best way to watch this one. Apparently the English audio isn't a good translation of what everyone's actually supposed to be saying. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2021 at 12:46am
I just watched it in Italian, and the quality seemed pretty good.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2021 at 5:24pm

Yeah, not bad, but with these Metallica live movies and videos now, I just don't feel it like I used to. There's none of the grit and soul there used to be back in the days of Cliff 'em All and Binge/Purge. It's all a bit too clean and sanitised now. Saying that, I'm still gonna watch the second one.Wink
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2022 at 1:56am

I just watched it in Italian, and the quality seemed pretty good.

Sounds like you saw the best possible version then.

Arrow Video, a UK company, was able to release it in their US line (both on blu-ray and 4K), but someone else holds the rights for the UK. And they seem to be just sitting on them. Sadly rights holders here have a habit of doing that with older films. BFI are sitting on the rights to a lot of Akira Kurosawa's films and never releases them on blu-ray. Meanwhile the US enjoys Criterion Collection releases of them. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2022 at 2:04am
My last few movies of 2021:

This was frustrating. Great atmosphere, short on plot and a general feeling like it couldn't decide if it was a folk horror movie or a period drama about unscrupulous businessmen trying to force a family off their land. 

An intriguing enough plot but my God this had one of the worst so called 'HD' pictures I've ever seen. Really fucked colours to the point I thought my TV had malfunctioned. 

Sartana 5. Some rank it among the best of the series, but I just about prefer other entries. Still, a great set of movies with no duds. 

It's an 80s slasher and that's about all you can say about it, other than it's set at Christmas. The early reveal that the kid set up as the protagonist quickly turns into the villain and subsequent lack of a mask are unusual for the genre I guess. I don't think I'll feel the need to see this one again though.
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2022 at 6:34pm

Doco about the desert scene which produced the likes of Kyuss, Fu Manchu, and more of the stoner style bands like that. Interviews with a lot of the original musicians etc.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2022 at 10:05pm

Not particularly well drawn or animated, but the vocal cast was great (Paul Giamatti, Evan Rachel Wood, Brad Garrett).
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2022 at 12:19am

Love this movie, which doesn't seem to be a very widely felt thing with a lot of Bond fans. It doesn't get too stupid with gadgets, and there's plenty of kick ass action scenes. Daniel Craig is a bit of a badass Bond too.
Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2022 at 3:46am
Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark (2019)

Love the stories of the books this movie was based on. The movie itself was pretty entertaining.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2022 at 1:39pm

Doco about the desert scene which produced the likes of Kyuss, Fu Manchu, and more of the stoner style bands like that. Interviews with a lot of the original musicians etc.

I've been meaning to watch this!

I backed his upcoming doc about John Scofield on Kickstarter, and was provided some links to stream Joerg's other ones for free. I should get on that.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2022 at 2:19pm

Pretty good folk horror. Don't hear this one mentioned as often as The Wicker Man or Witchfinder General, but it certainly fits with them well to make an unofficial trilogy from that era of British filmmaking. 

A Mario Bava I hadn't seen before. Unfortunately streaming only had the English dud and not the original Italian audio (because that would just be too hard right?). It's full of dark gothic atmosphere, very adult themes and has Christopher Lee in it, though sadly it does a Psycho. Overall still solid. 

Solid but I didn't find it to hold a candle to the 1930s version. Frankenstein is a right dick in this version. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2022 at 7:40pm

This was actually boring. Never thought I'd say it about Metallica live, but there ya go. A lot of it was down to really poor song selection, but it just didn't sound particularly convincing at times either.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 203204205206207 256>
  Share Topic