Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recently Watched Films

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 200201202203204 256>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2021 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

So this is about where I thought the books fell off the rails, and this movie seems to have done the same. It might have been affected by the fact it too me three separate viewing sessions to watch it, but it was just a bit dull, despite the Big Plot Events in it.

Just had this one on my current run as well. 

I think I may take back my earlier statement 5 being the weakest. Despite not being the longest HP film, this one does seem to drag a bit. It has some good scenes though, but you also have to put up with the whole 'Won Won & Lav Lav' subplot. Sick
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2021 at 1:09pm
^I´ve just started watching number 6, but as I´m watching the Harry Potter series with my son, I haven´t been able to finish the movie for a while, because of my corona situation. I thought number 5 was the weakest of the first five, as it dragged too much in the middle with all the wizard training and that nasty pink principle lady being annoying, so I hope number 6 isn´t as weak as you two seem to think. Honestly I can´t remember it at all right now, even though I´ve watched the whole series several times before. It´s just been a while.

Edited by UMUR - 12 Dec 2021 at 12:19am
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2021 at 4:24pm
I wouldn't call it weak as such, just weakest, which one of them always has to be. To be honest I drift being 4, 5 and 6 for that dubious honour though. I love the first three and Deathly Hallows. There may be something in that 1 to 3 are all much shorter books while the rest are considerably longer (especially 5) and had more cut for film until book 7, which got the two part film. Of course it's been bloody years since I read the Potter books and since I don't even own my old set anymore I'm unlikely to ever read them again so I don't recall precisely what may not have been featured in the films anymore. But if we count 7 as one film, I think there's something to be said about 5 being the shortest film but the longest book. Of course that may also mean that book 5 was full of unnecessary waffle. 

Anyway:

This one was pretty good. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2021 at 8:15am

This movie is all kinds of WTF. 

And I'm not going to do an RYM Satire on this, just going to say that anyone who says this isn't a horror film deserves to have their genre voting privileges permanently revoked. 
GG2U

Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2021 at 7:05pm

meh
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2021 at 9:10pm

too corny and gross
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2021 at 9:00am

Studio Ghibli takes a dump on its legacy. 

To be fair, it's a watchable animated film, but it does not feel like a Ghibli film in any way (not helped by the fact that Netflix only released the English dub of the film despite listing the cast as the Japanese actors). It also feels like most of the story is missing, with a mystery set up in the opening, then the rest of the film spent on character building, with a few flashbacks and then it just...ends. 

Yeah, not a good movie at all really. It's both hard to believe the world's most beloved anime studio put this out and that its also based on a story by the same author as Howl's Moving Castle, one of their best and most popular films. 

I didn't have any expectations for this going in, so it's quite an achievement to have still managed to disappoint me. 
GG2U

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2021 at 12:35pm
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1385826/

DippoMagoo View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Power & Neo, Goth & Symph, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2021 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

To be fair, it's a watchable animated film, but it does not feel like a Ghibli film in any way (not helped by the fact that Netflix only released the English dub of the film despite listing the cast as the Japanese actors). It also feels like most of the story is missing, with a mystery set up in the opening, then the rest of the film spent on character building, with a few flashbacks and then it just...ends. 

Yeah, not a good movie at all really. It's both hard to believe the world's most beloved anime studio put this out and that its also based on a story by the same author as Howl's Moving Castle, one of their best and most popular films. 

I didn't have any expectations for this going in, so it's quite an achievement to have still managed to disappoint me. 
Yeah, I remember there being a huge uproar about that when it was first coming out, both from people freaking out that they were doing something other than anime, and over how awful it looked. I'm not really attached to Studio Ghibli, so I might try it at some point for a total joke, and see if it's really as awful as it's made out to be LOL (I almost said I've never seen any of their movies, but I have seen Princess Mononoke before, and it was an absolute masterpiece. Need to rewatch it someday, since it's still on Netflix.)
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2021 at 11:26pm
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2021 at 2:06am
Originally posted by DippoMagoo DippoMagoo wrote:

Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Yeah, I remember there being a huge uproar about that when it was first coming out, both from people freaking out that they were doing something other than anime, and over how awful it looked. I'm not really attached to Studio Ghibli, so I might try it at some point for a total joke, and see if it's really as awful as it's made out to be LOL (I almost said I've never seen any of their movies, but I have seen Princess Mononoke before, and it was an absolute masterpiece. Need to rewatch it someday, since it's still on Netflix.)

It's not actually their first film where they're deviated from the traditional anime style. There was My Neighbors the Yamadas and The Tale of the Princess Kaguya before this. Their first foray into CGI is pretty poor though. I could look past that if the movie was otherwise good, but it isn't. It feels like half a story. 

Studio Ghibli have made some of the best films I've ever seen, animated or otherwise, including Princess Mononoke. Unfortunately the movies of Gorō Miyazaki, Earwig being his third, tend to be on the lower end of the scale for Ghibli as is, although I maintain his second feature From Up on Poppy Hill is underrated. His first, Tales From Earthsea, was the lowest critical rated Ghibli film until the release of Earwig. 

I would recommend checking out more of their movies though, especially those of Gorō Miyazaki's father Hayao Miyazaki who made Princess Mononoke. 
GG2U

DippoMagoo View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Power & Neo, Goth & Symph, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2021 at 9:20am
Looks like both Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle are on Netflix, so I'll probably try them at some point, since they seem to be among Hayao Miyazaki more popular works. And yeah, from what I've heard he's revered as one of the absolute best anime directors of all time, so I'll definitely look into more of his stuff, eventually.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2021 at 9:49am
You can't really go wrong with any of his movies. He's basically anime gold dust. I've a personal special fondness for Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, which was the movie that resulted in the founding of Studio Ghibli and is often retroactively counted as their first film. I just find that one so damn rewatchable. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2021 at 10:28am

OK, so this is really good, almost like it's from a different movie franchise. Still don't like the way Bellatrix is portrayed because it doesn't line up with my own mental characterisation, but that's my problem, not a fault with the movie.Wink
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2021 at 10:38am
I thought deathly hallows pt 1 was the worst of the entire series, it's so angsty it's unbearable

the first 2-3 movies are probably the best
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2021 at 11:29am

I don't keep up with the main Disney movies like I do with Pixar, but I quite enjoyed this one. It's not a musical which is a plus for me (even though Disney musicals are usually the only ones I enjoy). One of these days I back go back though the Disney catalogue and watch all the films I missed over the years. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2021 at 7:20pm
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2021 at 8:51pm

had to turn it off... really bad
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2021 at 11:16am

hated it
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2021 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

hated it

Me too.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 200201202203204 256>
  Share Topic