MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recently Watched Films

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 183184185186187 256>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2021 at 10:18am
^ The Djinn (2021) was much, much, and much better than the Babadook, for me at least.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2021 at 12:33pm
The Purge (2013):
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2184339/

An incredibly violent movie. I liked the twist at the end with the neighbours, although I smelled it a mile away, but other than that the movie was a little off. I did´t think the young villains were very convincing either. Why would they enter a home with so little care for their own lives, when they have outnumbered the residents by at least 2 to 1? They could just have set the house on fire or something like that and waited for the family to come out. It just didn´t seem very smart and I hate villains who are supposed to be smart, but turn out completely stupid and who die because of their stupidity.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2021 at 3:43pm

Like Prometheus, this one has lots of interesting themes and literary references, but the cast and script are kind of a mess.  Both movies would benefit from a good Director's Cut.  Minor spoilers below (is there a way to hide them on this forum?):

The major driver and most important element in both movies is the motivations and behavior of David.  The crews of both movies are absolutely retarded but they are sort of background noise, which makes it easier to excuse (coincidentally Fassbender is by far the best actor in both movies).  The horror is also of a more Lovecraftian type than the first 4 Alien movies - "some things man wasn't meant to discover" - and between that & the types of questions which arise from the main plot elements, I get why many people didn't like these 2 movies.  A lot of reviewers, especially Redditors, clearly feel uncomfortable at the implications.  I do appreciate that Ridley Scott, who I didn't generally like as a director before watching Prometheus and Alien Covenant, leaves many things unexplained.

(the CGI is awful and almost ruins Covenant, though.  If you removed all the action/xenomorph sequences it would be a much better movie.)
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2021 at 4:44pm
both movies have pretty decent scores, I will add, but I still really hate when the soundtrack spoils action or suspense in a movie, it's so distracting and hackneyed and one of the worst things about modern hollywood movies
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 12:26pm

Better than I remembered. The cold war espionage bit was a bit shit - nothing near as good as the book - but once the plane got off the ground, it was pure teenage boy bliss! Yes, it was silly and far-fetched, yes, some of the special effects were a bit shit by today's standards, and yes, the laws of physics were only given a cursory thought, but it was fast and noisy and spectacular, and the goodies won!
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 1:21pm

A bit dumb but reasonably entertaining. Kind of a reverse home invasion. Some black comedy stuff, but it never feels all out hilarious. A bit predictable too. 

Incredibly fun action thriller with a great cast. Lots of explosions and also some humorous bits. 

Mixed feelings. More than watchable J-Horror, but it never really gets beyond that. It's about actors putting on a stage play of a ghost story, the rehearsals of which take up a good chunk of the film, while the lives of the actors start to blend together with the fiction. Unfortunately the fictional story within the story seems more interesting than the actual story. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2021 at 12:20am

I wondered what all the fuss was about. Now I know. Wow. Not the sort of movie I'd want to see again, but well worth watching.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2021 at 12:48am

Third watch of Tenebrae. Right up there with Deep Red this one. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2021 at 11:18am
I think that one is Argento's best Giallo (but I still like Suspiria more)
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2021 at 11:19am

Part 3 of my gradual Tarantino re-watch. Only seen this one the once before. Being the only time he's adapted someone else's story, it doesn't feel as distinctly him as any of his other films, but it's a really good odd one out in his filmography. Lots of double crossing going on here. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2021 at 11:22am
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

I think that one is Argento's best Giallo (but I still like Suspiria more)

Most Argento from the 70s and 80s would count as essential in my book. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2021 at 5:24pm

Pretty solid heist film. Doesn't break the mould, but how could it really? 

My fourth watch of The Lighthouse and by this point I would probably have to include this in a personal top 10 of all time. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2021 at 8:39pm

Really good sci-fi action thriller. Roddy Piper should have got more decent action roles like this, and he would have been a much bigger star than he was. Being a trained pro wrestler really shows in the fight and action sequences, because he could throw and sell punches etc. so convincingly.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2021 at 12:17am

Brilliant movie. One of the most unconventional love stories I've ever seen. Dark but oddly uplifting.

Maude is played by the same actor who plays scene stealing Ma in Every Which Way But Loose.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2021 at 1:44am

Excellent action movie. Has a good, solid plot, shaded characters, plenty of OTT violence, and a fucking classic car chase.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2021 at 2:30pm
^ Trio of excellent movies there. Clap
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2021 at 2:52pm

Solid enough, but far from one of the great giallo movies. 

Surprisingly decent and less 'Disney' feeling that expected. 

Been meaning to re-watch this one for ages. One of the movies that's been in my collection the longest. Pretty underrated IMO. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2021 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Yeah, I was well pleased with the day's viewing. I'd read a lot about all three but never seen any.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2021 at 4:23pm

Typical Netflix fare. Watchable but not really worth watching. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2021 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Yeah, I was well pleased with the day's viewing. I'd read a lot about all three but never seen any.

For a time I considered They Live my favourite Carpenter movie, though The Thing has since upstaged it. The fight between Roddy Piper and Keith David's characters is surely one of the greatest movie punch-ups. And it has some great quotable lines:

'I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass - and I'm all out of bubblegum.'

Haven't watched it for a while. I'll have to put it on my re-watch pile. 

Edited by adg211288 - 28 Aug 2021 at 4:29pm
GG2U

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 183184185186187 256>
  Share Topic