Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recently Watched Films

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 173174175176177 256>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2021 at 10:09pm

Never seen a Dalton Bond movie before, but this was excellent. Less camp and more gritty than the Moore era. Timothy Dalton presents something of a physical likeness to George Lazenby. Maryam d'Abo also lasted longer as a Bond girl than many of the others.

Entertaining piece of Wes Anderson quirkiness. Great movie for a wet Sunday afternoon.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 1:12am
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

Brilliant drama, interspersed with a few dashes of comedy. William Holden is excellent, and won an Oscar for his performance, although he felt it may have been a consolation for not winning for his performance in Sunset Boulevard, and maybe Burt Lancaster or Montgomery Clift should have won instead. 

Whatever, Holden is becoming one of my favourite actors to watch. He's not often spoken of in the same manner as other big names of his era, if he's even spoken of at all, but I think he put in some incredible performances.

I love this movie. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 1:15am

Two 1950s classics. Third time for On The Waterfront for me and it only gets stronger and more rewatchable. 
GG2U

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 7:58am
Brightburn (2019) - IMDb
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7752126/

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 12:33pm
Part Frankenstein, Part Night of the Living Dead, all good stupid 80s horror fun! Has the obligatory gratuitous nudity and over-done gory special effects. 

More stupid fun. A piss-take on super hero movies with the two least likely suspects for heroes. Mildly distracting with a couple of good laughs and a vintage Slayer t-shirt thrown in.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 1:14pm

Beautifully shot, but narratively harrowing, Soviet war film. Very powerful stuff. 
GG2U

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 2:29pm
Screamers (1995 film) - Wikipedia
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114367/

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2021 at 2:58am

Not bad but couldn't get completely invested in it either. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2021 at 9:59am

I haven't seen this Pixar film since it originally hit home video back in the day. We rented in from Blockbuster (or it may have even still been Choices back then!) and it was the last Pixar film (perhaps even the last Disney film) that I saw before considering myself 'grown out of them'. These days, as you all probably know from the amount I post here, I love this films as much, if not more than I did as a child. Wanted to see this one again before watching the sequel for the first time. 
GG2U

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2021 at 11:49am
Watched Death Proof for the first time, and I liked it. Not one of Tarantino´s best movies, but still entertaining and full of sharp mouth dialogue. Half of it going nowhere, but still entertaining. The death scenes are over the top and incredibly brutal, but that´s Tarantino for you there.
Amazon.com: Death Proof (Extended and Unrated Edition): Kurt Russell, Zoe  Bell, Rosario Dawson, Vanessa Ferlito, Rose McGowan, Quentin Tarantino,  Quentin Tarantino, Quentin Tarantino: Movies &amp;amp; TV
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1028528/
666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2021 at 3:59pm

Started watching some more classics! This was really good. Unexpected soundtrack, feels out of place yet somehow brilliant too. 
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2021 at 4:16pm

What happens when you set up an intriguing sci-fi premise, then set it as the backdrop and instead tell a standard drama story?

This film.

Watchable, but hard to get invested in and stinks to high heaven of wasted potential and set up. The sci-fi does play a part in the end of the protagonist's redemption, but mostly everything we might want to find out about it is never addressed. It then ends on a cliffhanger and it's been ten years with no sequel. Not that this film inspires watching one if it existed. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2021 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by 666sharon666 666sharon666 wrote:

Started watching some more classics! This was really good. Unexpected soundtrack, feels out of place yet somehow brilliant too. 

Love this one. Clap
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 12:06pm
Two re-watches:

French thriller. Hitchcock wanted to make this but lost out on the rights. It's very good as is, though it still hasn't clicked quite to the level of its reputation even after two watches for me. The director's previous movie to this on the other hand, The Wages of Fear, had instant hints of five star potential. He's a director I need to explore more.

From a could have been Hitchcock, to an actual Hitchcock. An underrated movie for me, though it did lose a little something on re-watch I feel. Actually probably the best thing about this film for me is that throughout it I keep feeling like I need to switch on some suspension of disbelief, because the story seems absolutely absurd. And yet it all actually happened in real life. Reality sometimes is stranger than fiction! The movie follows closely real life, except a happier ending than really happened, which may have been forced on the movie by Hollywood. 

Hitch sneaked this one out in the 50's between Jimmy Stewart fronted standards The Man Who Knew Too Much and Vertigo, falling back on black and white cinematography when colour was becoming his standard, something he would again do for Psycho. It was the only movie of his in which he worked with Henry Fonda. The movie provides a great thematic pairing with 12 Angry Men, since in this one Fonda plays a man falsely accused of a crime and in that one, he plays a juror advocating for the innocence of a man on trial who based on flimsy evidence is in the same position. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2021 at 12:45am
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2021 at 6:12am

This went a lot better on the re-watch. 

I'm still none the wiser about it, but I can see that we're not really meant to be.

I do still highly disagree with the 'best movie ever made' pedestal that RYM puts it on though.
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2021 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

This went a lot better on the re-watch. 

I'm still none the wiser about it, but I can see that we're not really meant to be.

I do still highly disagree with the 'best movie ever made' pedestal that RYM puts it on though.

The books clear up some of the mystery. Not the first one, no. It's still as confusing and mysterious as the movie, but the subsequent three help. And while ahead of it's time and visually stunning, there's no fucking way it's the best movie ever.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2021 at 2:05pm
My original experience of 2001 put me off ever reading the books. I had all four. They sat around for years and I eventually sold them last year, at the time actively planning never to watch the movie again. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2021 at 4:19pm

Very dated in many aspects, but I love these old school sci-fi movies. 

Original version of House of Wax. Some difference in setting and characters, but otherwise very close to each other. Though from 1933, this was a colour movie, albeit with a very early process that isn't that far removed from the tinting used in some silent films. It was directed by Michael Curtiz, who would notable go on to make Casablanca. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2021 at 5:28am

Solid Pixar as expected....but sadly I think a lot of the hype for this one basically just amounts to people going 'OMG Pixar made a movie about a black man'. Black Panther all over again in other words. It's good, very good even, but it's not that good. The studio has made considerably better movies, including Coco, which also explores afterlife themes. 
GG2U

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 173174175176177 256>
  Share Topic