Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recently Watched Films

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 171172173174175 256>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2021 at 5:44am
Never seen this before. Absolutely brilliant! Rips so much piss out of war movies.
Also excellent. The fight scene in the church in particular is utterly over the top. Doesn't seem clever at first sight, but there's a vein of dark humour running through there.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2021 at 12:55am
OK, this hasn't aged particularly well, but there are so many stunning performances, and it's such a sharp satire of 1970s US society that it's still well worth a watch.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2021 at 5:19am
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2021 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

How did you rate it? Worth a look?
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2021 at 11:48pm
A big dumb noisy war movie. Completely implausible, and a ridiculous plot, but so many great actors in it I could watch all day - Clint Eastwood, Telly Savalas, Donald Sutherland, Carroll O'Connor, Don Rickles, Harry Dean Stanton.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2021 at 12:55am
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

How did you rate it? Worth a look?

I enjoyed it, though it's not my usual sort of thing. It's a very calm, contemplative movie. Without a lead star I really like I may not have been interested in it. 
GG2U

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2021 at 11:41am
Bloodshot (2020)
The Nice Guys (2016).

The former meh...the latter pretty good.

Edited by UMUR - 07 Jun 2021 at 11:42am
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2021 at 9:45pm
The best bits of the prequels and sequels condensed into three and a half minutes!

Edited by Vim Fuego - 07 Jun 2021 at 9:46pm
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2021 at 1:07am
Wow, gritty and nihilistic. Great band performances. Penelope Spheeris has always made great movies about punk and metal sub-culture, both factual and fictional.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 1:46pm
I watched these back to back today. I have seen the first one before but I didn't remember it that well. The second is surprisingly solid for a fictional sequel to a based on actual events movie.

GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2021 at 12:55am

This was really good. About a gangsters rise to power while in prison. There's never been a sequel, but it was certainly left open for one. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2021 at 4:16am
Apparently not a very well liked Bond film - Roger Moore hates it, and a lot of people consider it one of the worst in the entire series. I actually like it. Went to see it at the movies when it came out. Moore didn't get along with his Bond girls. Apparently Tanya Roberts didn't like him, and he thought Grace Jones was creepy. Last appearance for Moore, and also for Lois Maxwell, Miss Moneypenny.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2021 at 4:42am
Started re-watching the Star Wars movies in chronological order (so Prequels, Solo, Rogue One, Originals, Sequels) in 4K on Disney+. I've been meaning to do this for a while, but with my old DVDs, but being able to see them in 4K gave me an extra push to do it. 

As an adult, I suppose I can understand why this wasn't considered as good for many older fans, but for me, it's still my favourite of the prequels. This movie was the shit in 1999 and you were 10 like me. Jar Jar included. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2021 at 3:38pm

The weakest of the prequels for me. But I still enjoy it a fair bit. 

This is pretty good and tense but for some reason some of the reveals that were clearly supposed to be plot twists seemed pretty obvious long before they actually happened. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2021 at 9:10pm

Started re-watching the Star Wars movies in chronological order (so Prequels, Solo, Rogue One, Originals, Sequels) in 4K on Disney+. I've been meaning to do this for a while, but with my old DVDs, but being able to see them in 4K gave me an extra push to do it. 

As an adult, I suppose I can understand why this wasn't considered as good for many older fans, but for me, it's still my favourite of the prequels. This movie was the shit in 1999 and you were 10 like me. Jar Jar included. 

It's my favourite of the prequels too. I think it has more iconic scenes in it than the others. Whatever else people might think of the movie, the pod race holds up against any action sequence anywhere in the entire franchise.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 4:16am

Always felt with this one that they really didn't know how to kill Padme off since the original trilogy established that she is dead. Not sure how they managed to fuck her death up so much though: Return of the Jedi pointedly established that Leia remembers a little bit about her real mother. Even with plot holes aside, her death really is dumb as fuck. Otherwise this movie is pretty great with its action sequences and being packed full of lightsaber duels. 

Next up, the Star Wars Stories movies and then onto the true classics. 
GG2U

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 4:45am

Apparently not a very well liked Bond film - Roger Moore hates it, and a lot of people consider it one of the worst in the entire series. I actually like it. Went to see it at the movies when it came out. Moore didn't get along with his Bond girls. Apparently Tanya Roberts didn't like him, and he thought Grace Jones was creepy. Last appearance for Moore, and also for Lois Maxwell, Miss Moneypenny.

I like this one too...I agree with Moore though in finding Grace Jones creepy Confused. She would have been perfectly cast in the role as one of the cyborgs in Bladerunner.

Edited by UMUR - 13 Jun 2021 at 4:46am
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 7:55am
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

I like this one too...I agree with Moore though in finding Grace Jones creepy Confused. She would have been perfectly cast in the role as one of the cyborgs in Bladerunner.

I liked this one as well, an improvement on the previous Bond movie, the messy and ridiculous Octopussy. 
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 12:33pm

I mostly liked this. Tom Cruise is too small to be a proper Reacher, but for probably the first 3/4 of the film he projects a proper Reacher vibe. Then inexplicably he starts channeling that lame arsed character from the Mission Impossible movies (can't remember, and hate those movies, so don't care), before a final flick back to Reacherisms. Loved the action sequences, which seem so plausible when Lee Child writes them, but are so utterly ridiculous when put on screen. And Rosamund Pike seemed to be just phoning in her performance.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 1:59pm

Only the second time I've watched this one and personally I didn't think it held up as well as I'd expected. Leaves a lot of plot strands hanging which I'm not sure we're going to see resolved now. 
GG2U

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 171172173174175 256>
  Share Topic