Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recently Watched Films

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 159160161162163 257>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2021 at 3:27pm

I expected to like this more. It was OK at most. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2021 at 4:26pm

Nope, this is definitely not what I want out of a western. Thin on plot and too much singing and dancing. And then there's what invokes this reaction to top it all off:

GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 4:45pm

I wasn't that sold on the first Cat People movie but I thought I'd give this a look since it was short and on iplayer. And I'm even less sold on this one. Apart from the same characters it barely has anything to do with the original (especially not cat people). It completely changed genre between films. 
GG2U

666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2021 at 10:05am
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2021 at 1:50pm
I found a silent movie I've wanted to see for a while lurking on a free Firestick app:

Unfortunately the quality explains why the app is free. The movie itself is pretty great, but the score they put to it, while not entirely unfitting, felt a bit too modern for a 1924 silent film. I think I also just experienced the equivalent of dubbing on a silent movie, since the intertitles were all in English and the ones that are done to look like newspapers fade into English before going back to German, rather than sticking actual subs over them like the restorations I've seen of movies like Nosferatu have. 

This movie is in dire need of a quality blu-ray release like those. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2021 at 5:03am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

I found a silent movie I've wanted to see for a while lurking on a free Firestick app:

Unfortunately the quality explains why the app is free. The movie itself is pretty great, but the score they put to it, while not entirely unfitting, felt a bit too modern for a 1924 silent film. I think I also just experienced the equivalent of dubbing on a silent movie, since the intertitles were all in English and the ones that are done to look like newspapers fade into English before going back to German, rather than sticking actual subs over them like the restorations I've seen of movies like Nosferatu have. 

This movie is in dire need of a quality blu-ray release like those. 

Rather spookily announced this morning: https://eurekavideo.co.uk/movie/the-hands-of-orlac-orlacs-hande/
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 12:58am
^I'd like to see that too.
Not ever seen this before. It was about what I expected. It had it's moments, but it wasn't amazing.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 9:45am

A horror movie made in the style of a 1930s movie, which works until the horror gets going, then the old school atmosphere gets fucked up and it all went downhill from there. 

Plays out pretty much as you'd expect, but entertaining enough. 

Mixed bag psychological thriller. Some genuinely good parts but also some parts that were basically just adults throwing their toys out of their prams. 

Bond being Bond, as if it could ever be anything else. I've seen this one before but I didn't remember much about it. I felt it started to drag toward the end. 

The gem of this bunch, and I expect nothing less from a Park Chan-wook movie. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 3:22pm

Really quite disturbing, strangely interlaced with shots of great beauty. 
GG2U

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 4:31am
I liked this one. Cute but still a bit sad post-apocalyptic atmosphere to it:
WALL·E Poster
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0910970/
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 5:52am

Slow burning German language folk horror set in the 15th century. It's a bit hard to really follow what's going on, but it's very atmospheric and oddly compelling despite also being light on dialogue. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 9:16am

Modern samurai movie gem. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 4:35pm

Probably should have stayed banned on grounds of being crap. Evil Smile

Abel Ferrara came a long way by the time it came to gems like King of New York and The Addiction. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 5:15am

I'm used to finding a lot of cult and forgotten gems on the Arrow Video label, but this isn't one of them. A real mishit selection from them. Bloody awful film and worse, even more boring than it is bad.
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 3:39pm

First in a series of Yakuza movies. Very gritty stuff here. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 4:51pm

Now this one actually turned out to be a bit of a hidden gem. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 4:09pm

Part 2. Very slight edge on the first IMO. Plus it has Meiko Kaji in it. 

Weird little horror found on the Arrow player. Decent but hardly revolutionary. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 9:58pm

Fascinating documentary that looks into the Coke vs Pepsi "wars". Who won? Well... I'm still not sure, but neither lost, because we're still drinking their stuff.Wink
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2021 at 12:17am

I grew up with my family being involved in musical theatre my whole life, and Show Boat was the first show I ever saw, at the age of 5 in 1977. I'm pretty sure I'll never see a live production of it again.

This couldn't be performed today because of the racial stereotypes in it, including blackface scenes. The story itself takes a poke at the racism of the southern US states in the late 19th century, but it probably still wouldn't wash with modern audiences. There's some corny old comic elements to it as well, which are great fun. There are some great songs though. "Old Man River" is the most famous.

This version also stars Hattie McDaniel as Queenie, who later became the first black actor to win an Oscar (best supporting actress) which she won for her role as Mammy in "Gone With The Wind".
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2021 at 1:39am
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

Fascinating documentary that looks into the Coke vs Pepsi "wars". Who won? Well... I'm still not sure, but neither lost, because we're still drinking their stuff.Wink

Personally I'm on Team Pepsi. 
GG2U

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 159160161162163 257>
  Share Topic