Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recently Watched Films

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 156157158159160 256>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 1:40pm
Studio Ghibli #19:

I think it's a sad truth at this point that the junior Miyazaki is going to remain in the shadow of his father, but I really like this one of his. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 4:48pm
Almost silent, zero budget, lots of nudity and tomato sauce, and a giant blurry finger. So of course I had to check it out...
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 2:51am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Studio Ghibli #19:

I think it's a sad truth at this point that the junior Miyazaki is going to remain in the shadow of his father, but I really like this one of his. 

I've never watched any of these Ghibli animated films Adam, or any Japanese animation for that matter. Can you recommend a good starter, preferably available on Netflix?
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 3:45am
Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

Studio Ghibli #19:

I've never watched any of these Ghibli animated films Adam, or any Japanese animation for that matter. Can you recommend a good starter, preferably available on Netflix?

All the Ghibli's are on Netflix except for Grave of the Fireflies. Depending on what genre you'd enjoy more I'd recommend any of the following:

NausicaƤ of the Valley of the Wind (post-apocalyptic)
Castle in the Sky (Steampunk)
Princess Mononoke (Fantasy - less family orientated)
Spirted Away (Fantasy - bit more family orientated)
The Wind Rises (Period Drama)

You generally can't go wrong with any by Hayao Miyazaki, but there are other gems among the Ghibli movies. Generally I'd probably recommend Spirted Away as an entry point. It wasn't mine but it does tend to be the highest rated one, even in RYM's top 15. 

For other studios Netflix has some gems:

In This Corner of the World (wartime period drama)
Your Name. (bit of a teen romance at its core but with a fantasy twist. Always felt like it shouldn't be as good as it is). 

Unfortunately there are missing other more mature gems like Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Paprika and Perfect Blue. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 3:50am
GG2U

Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 3:51am
Thanks Adam, plenty to go at there. I'll get started on them possibly even today. Let you know what I think.
666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 4:31am
I'm working my way through them for the first time. I've watched Spirted Away and Princess Mononoke off of Netflix and I bought Grave of the Fireflies. 
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 7:12am
Studio Ghibli #20

A stunning film. Rated PG for smoking and one brief graphic bloody scene, kids who are mad about planes will no doubt love it. Otherwise I think this one is generally of more interest to adult audiences. It's somewhat a biopic, but with a lot of liberties taken. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 1:10pm
Studio Ghibli #21:

The second of two Ghibli movies to abandon their usual animation style, this one is based on a 10th century Japanese tale. It's probably the biggest omission from my physical Ghibli collection. Don't really get the UK's U rating on this. At least, I can't think of any other U rated movie, animated or otherwise, that includes detailed depictions of breastfeeding the way this does. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 2:16pm

Studio Ghibli #21:

The second of two Ghibli movies to abandon their usual animation style, this one is based on a 10th century Japanese tale. It's probably the biggest omission from my physical Ghibli collection. Don't really get the UK's U rating on this. At least, I can't think of any other U rated movie, animated or otherwise, that includes detailed depictions of breastfeeding the way this does. 

What does a U rating mean? We use a different system to you.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

Studio Ghibli #21:

What does a U rating mean? We use a different system to you.

Bottom rung family friendly movie. 

I believe you use G for this range of movies. 

Edited by adg211288 - 07 Mar 2021 at 3:24pm
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 3:22pm
Studio Ghibli #22:

And so the Ghibli marathon ends. This was for several years their final movie, until dropping Earwig and the Witch last year (a movie I have no excitement for). It's a non-horror ghost story. Kid friendly, with appeal to all. A fitting would have been swansong for the studio. 
GG2U

Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 5:03am
Well I gave Spirited Away a go. I can see why it's rated highly though not really the type of thing I'd normally watch. The animation was really good and I'm going to give some of the others a try.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 11:24am

This is was a really solid action movie. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 11:33am
Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

Well I gave Spirited Away a go. I can see why it's rated highly though not really the type of thing I'd normally watch. The animation was really good and I'm going to give some of the others a try.

I'm still surprised by how much I like anime, even though I already still enjoyed stuff like Pixar. 

I'd probably recommend Princess Mononoke next, unless you want a genre more grounded in reality, in which case, I was re-blown away by The Wind Rises at the tail end of my re-watch marathon. 
GG2U

TheHeavyMetalCat View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Black and Death Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHeavyMetalCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 2:05pm
The Studio Ghibli films hold a special place in my heart. Their art style is gorgeous. And they have a way of designing places that make me wish I could live there!
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 4:09pm

Quirkiest film I've seen in a long time, this almost entirely dialog free comedy relies heavily on expression like an old silent film. I don't think the main character says more than ten words on camera during the entire movie. Unfortunately it doesn't adequately explain the event right at the beginning of the move which kickstarts the strange series of events that follows. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2021 at 1:27am
What the fuck did I just watch? Scarlett Johansson's clothes keep falling off and then... weirdness. In Scotland.

Edited by Vim Fuego - 09 Mar 2021 at 10:36am
MorniumGoatahl View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MorniumGoatahl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2021 at 1:58pm

Scarlett Johansson's clothes keep falling off

That's all you need to know before deciding to watch isn't it? Wink

Because fuck me if this has anything else going for it. 
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2021 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by MorniumGoatahl MorniumGoatahl wrote:

Scarlett Johansson's clothes keep falling off

That's all you need to know before deciding to watch isn't it? Wink

Because fuck me if this has anything else going for it. 

I didn't even know she was in it.Big smile After it happened the first time I had to keep watching, you know, because...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 156157158159160 256>
  Share Topic