Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recently Watched Films

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 114115116117118 256>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 12:56pm
^This is related to a series, but it's a standalone movie (one of my all time favorites as well):

Lupin the Third: The Castle of Cagliostro

Lupin in general has a much zanier and fast paced vibe, more comedic as well. It's from the 70's too, so it doesn't have all the cliches that are in a lot of modern stuff. If you enjoy this, I highly recommend checking out the second Lupin series at some point.

Edited by Unitron - 04 Feb 2020 at 12:59pm
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
DippoMagoo View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Power & Neo, Goth & Symph, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 1:33pm
I haven't seen many anime movies (I'm more slowly getting some series, now), but we may as well get the obligatory Ghost in the Shell recomendation out of the way. I see you rated the live action movie, which I haven't seen, but the anime is generally much more highly regarded.

As far as my personal favorite, that isn't connected to a series, I'd say Princess Mononoke. I watched it a very long time ago (as a kid, actually, though it sure isn't kid friendly, LOL) but I still remember it very well, so it obviously left a strong impression.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 4:07pm
I watched the live action Ghost in the Shell, yeah. But mainly because Scarlet Johansson was in it. I honestly don't recall much about the movie other than her either. I would be interested in seeing the anime. Right now I'm pretty much limited to what's on Netflix UK. 

Turd of a horror movie. Little tension, completely uncompelling, lacking believably, pretty much everything that could be wrong with a horror movie is wrong here. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Tupan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Anyone care to clue me in? Also throw some more anime titles for me to check out (movies only, please. I don't want to get involved with any series right now). 

Great movie, based on one of the best comic books I have ever read in my life.

Edited by Tupan - 04 Feb 2020 at 5:57pm
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2020 at 11:05pm

I enjoyed it but found the pace a bit slow. 

Damn them Koreans know how to make a twisted movie. Brilliant. 

Very entertaining sci-fi. Been looking to see this one for years but it never seemed to be around, while the remake you see bloody everywhere (which doesn't interest me one bit). 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2020 at 11:22pm

Another great Japanese movie. 
GG2U

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2020 at 12:47am

Damn them Koreans know how to make a twisted movie. Brilliant. 
I remember watching this some years back, and I found it really scary...especially the scene with the ghost and the Little girl in the bed...ugh I couldn´t sleep for week after watching that scene.
Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2020 at 3:40am
As far as anime movies go I'm surprised no one's mentioned Akira..'practically mandatory!
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2020 at 6:17am
Second anime:

Ghost in the Shell is lined up next. 
GG2U

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2020 at 2:55pm
It´s been quite a few years since I watched Seven the last time, but I watched it Again tonight with my daughter, and she found it as disturbing as I did when I first watched it bach in 1995:
Brad Pitt and Morgan Freeman in Se7en (1995)
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 3:36am
^ I love Seven. I've watched it three times since my first in June 2018. 

This was (to no one's surprise) better than the live action movie. I didn't fully understand it, but it was entertaining. 

Violent and disturbing movies don't usually bother me. I know how to separate a work of fiction from reality. This one though, this is the first time I can remember that a film actually made me uncomfortable. Very difficult to watch and definitely could not watch it again. 
GG2U

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 1:26am
Re-watched The Silence of the Lambs with my daughter last night, and it´s as brilliant as the first time I watched it in the early nineties:
Jodie Foster in The Silence of the Lambs (1991)
Tupan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 9:16am

Deserved all the prizes.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2020 at 12:12am
I got behind again.

A very good vampire movie from Park Chan-Wook.

Quite a decent war movie.

On the other hand this was a masterpiece war movie. Peckinpah may be best known for westerns, but this is one of his best movies.

Bit different from the first Lady Snowblood movie (which I also re-watched before this one), but I still enjoyed it. 

Another one ticked off the 'films I should have seen by now' list. I loved this one. It's a very sad movie and the execution scenes are quite harrowing (I know people who say they couldn't watch this because of them), but it's brilliant and compelling despite the long length.

Pretty great samurai movie. 

I picked up on this because they've made a big deal about how it's a neo-western. It's nothing of the sort. But it is a quite decent character driven crime drama. 

Quite good. A different type of war movie and loosely based on a real event.

Very good Japanese kaidan movie. 

Spy thriller with a non-linear narrative. Quite fun.

Finally decided to give the remake a look. I mean I guess it's not technically bad because it's a near enough shot for shot remake of Hitchcock's original which is a masterpiece but it also kind of is: as good as the original was you have to judge it by 1960s standards and it is kinda dated now. This made little attempt to feel current for the 1990s in terms of film-making so anything that felt dated in the original just felt amateurish here. Also I find Vince Vaughn as Norman Bates rather unconvincing. 

Another anime. Quite a nice movie. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 5:49am

Seems like it's trying to be the 2010s answer to The Road, but it doesn't have as bleak visuals as that movie. Overall I have mixed feelings on this one. It's biggest plus is that it is very well acted drama between the two leads, but actual plot development moves along at a snail's pace with little actually happening across the duration and when things do happen they are very generic plot points for this type of post-apocalyptic movie, including it's ending. 

Solid 50's western with three strong leads. 

A good movie but also has some wasted potential, like it felt a lot more like a noir when it started and then got rid of that element after a while completely. The beginning was generally a lot better than the whole movie in fact and could have worked well as a short. 

Not bad. Seen better but not bad. I feel like Jessica Chastain could have been given a bigger role rather that focus most of the attention on the two male leads. 

Mental 80's comedy. 

This psychological thriller could have done with being a lot darker than it was and filmed more compellingly. 

Utterly charming fantasy anime. 

See the Russian 1972 version, they all said, after I said I didn't rate the Clooney version too highly. It's much better, they said. Fuck I don't remember much about the Clooney version now but I know I liked it more than this. This has to be the most overly long, arty-farty, boring and uncompelling sci-fi movies I've seen since 2001 A Space Odyssey. Falls into that special category of 'Worse than Paris, Texas'. Actually concerned over watching the director's Stalker now which I had lined up next. 

Edited by adg211288 - 24 Feb 2020 at 5:51am
GG2U

Tupan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 6:50am
^Well, if you didn't like 2001, Solaris wouldn't be your cup of tea either... Good luck with Stalker

BTW, I love these three films, haha
TheHeavyMetalCat View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Black and Death Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHeavyMetalCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 7:43am
Nice to see some Studio Ghibli films getting some love here. I love those movies. Some may say they are much more for kids than some anime, but I think adults should not ignore those movies. Studio Ghibli is kind of like Japan's Disney in that regard. Proper fun for all the family.

Speaking of Disney, I recently got around to watching The Lion King remake. I shan't be watching it again. Not sure why Disney is hellbent on all this hybrid remakes lately. They all pale in comparision next to the original animated movies. They're fucking with their own legacy. I will give each of them a fair shot but I think Walt must be turning in his grave. The only half decent one so far was The Jungle Book.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 9:21am

I enjoyed this a little more but I'd still say it's not a great movie by any stretch of the imagination. It's also made in that same plodding along way as Solaris. Might be better drama if in English to be honest. These are the first times subtitled movies have made me wish that. I normally don't notice once a movie gets me engrossed within it. These just left me wondering why I wasn't just reading a book. #8 movie of all time on RYM? Fuck no. And considering that this was a movie I'd been excited to see for a long time now, I'm bitterly disappointed by it. 

Is this plodding pace and little plot a Russian thing? Or just this director? I don't think I'm going to touch any of this man's work ever again after these two. 
GG2U

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 9:46am

I enjoyed this a little more but I'd still say it's not a great movie by any stretch of the imagination. It's also made in that same plodding along way as Solaris. Might be better drama if in English to be honest. These are the first times subtitled movies have made me wish that. I normally don't notice once a movie gets me engrossed within it. These just left me wondering why I wasn't just reading a book. #8 movie of all time on RYM? Fuck no. And considering that this was a movie I'd been excited to see for a long time now, I'm bitterly disappointed by it. 

Is this plodding pace and little plot a Russian thing? Or just this director? I don't think I'm going to touch any of this man's work ever again after these two. 

I didn´t get this one either...nice dark atmosphere, but that was about it. It was long and boring and didn´t make much sense to me.
Tupan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 10:39am
^It's the director style. There are very different russian/soviet movies out there.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 114115116117118 256>
  Share Topic