Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recently Watched Films

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 107108109110111 256>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2019 at 7:08am

I actually saw the remake before this which has a very different ending. I'm not sure which one I prefer to be honest. I know purists will immediately leap down my throat for even doubting that it should be this one, but I think both have their merits. This one has that 70's charm and the newer one is much more in depth. A rare case for me where both movies are very worthwhile.

Not entirely what I expected it to be. Actually I found the film somewhat dragged out and unfocused and it was the shorter edit I saw. Great when it's great though. 

Very good early Hitchcock.

Another early Hitchcock. This one suffered compared to Sabotage though due to BFI Player's upload being clearly un-restored and poor quality. Sabotage was restored and in HD. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2019 at 9:15am

This is a real 'what the fuck did I just watch?' kind of movie. 

My answer would be something that is technically impressive but is so sparse on actual plot that in order to allow it to have any redeeming factors one must first accept it as art rather than a movie. The thing is I watched a movie, not visit an art gallery, and the synopsis actually seemed promising. But if there is a plot it is very hard to understand with it's minimal dialogue, fast moving scenes and incoherent structure. I'm seriously none of the wiser now than I was at the start. 

If I'm to give an honest appraisal of it I'd call it one of the worse pieces of crap I've ever seen. I'd have given it up were it not only a little more than an hour long. I even rated fucking Paris, Texas higher than this and that's basically my most loathed movie ever made. 

Complete waste of time. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2019 at 12:58pm

This is quite an interesting vampire film in that it seems more like it's actually about drug addiction. The black and white imagery is very mood setting too. 
GG2U

siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2019 at 3:19pm
^ Adam, you've burned out on music and become a film expert! Right on, i've let my film watching lapse.

Did love the latest Spiderman movei, Far From Home.

Also just checked out this way cool psychedelic film LUCIFER RISING.

From 1972 and no words. Just bizarre cinematography and trippy music.

Only 28 minutes long so totally recommended

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2019 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

^ Adam, you've burned out on music and become a film expert!

Hardly. I discover new niches of film all the time though and have certainly watched more films in the last year and a half than I have done in my whole life prior to that. 

Currently I just bought one month's worth of BFI Player subscription for £4.99 and am binge watching as much as possible through it. 

I still listen to music a fair bit though. Not so much checking out new stuff. Mostly it's played in the car these days. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2019 at 4:20pm

My first taste of Akira Kurosawa's work. A brilliant movie. Clap
GG2U

siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2019 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

^ Adam, you've burned out on music and become a film expert!

Hardly. I discover new niches of film all the time though and have certainly watched more films in the last year and a half than I have done in my whole life prior to that. 

Currently I just bought one month's worth of BFI Player subscription for £4.99 and am binge watching as much as possible through it. 

I still listen to music a fair bit though. Not so much checking out new stuff. Mostly it's played in the car these days. 

Nice! I have been lagging on films in the last few years as i've been obsessed by music but i feel a film binge coming soon. I'm also not to thrilled with a lot of new music lately. There's much more interesting things to still uncover from the past but a few newbies sneak in here and there. Cheers!
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2019 at 2:48pm

Mostly mixed feelings. I think it falls short of true greatness and certainly isn't as bad as historically it's been made out to be, but mostly I liked this one. 

The movie that A Fistful of Dollars was ripped off from. Much as I like Eastwood and westerns, I think this is the superior film. 

Old early sound vampire movie. Minimal dialogue makes it not that far removed from an actual silent film though and still plays like one much of a time. Oddly the extensive film damage even after restoration only adds to the atmosphere. It's no Nosferatu though.
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 2:20pm

This is an excellent spy themed film noir. 

Only Samuel L. Jackson saves this from being completely boring. It's structure also made me feel like I was watching a sequel rather than a standalone film. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 4:59pm

A Japanese gem. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 3:26am

Another Kurosawa gem. Unfortunately probably the last I will get to see for a while as BFI player upped and removed almost all of his work overnight except this one. So pissed off about that as I subscribed to them largely to watch these movies, which are hard to find in the UK otherwise. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 2:25pm

This classic horror film seems somewhat dated by the fact that the idea, no doubt horrific at the time to viewers, has now actually been successfully performed medically. 

This is a very good Mario Bava horror movie. 

This is a very disturbing Maria Bava movie and that's actually saying something considering some of his horror work. Makes Reservoir Dogs look tame. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 4:43pm

I find myself questioning this movie's legitimacy as a horror movie, though it certainly has elements towards the end. Great film though. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 7:45am

Early giallo. Pretty good but not the best IMO. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 12:07pm

I found this one a bit difficult to follow exactly what was going on but it has a great atmosphere. Pretty weird movie all told though, especially the ending.

Pretty great gothic horror. 

An odd 50's Italian movie. Despite it's title and re-titles overseas it's not really a vampire movie and is actually closer to science fiction, done up like a crime thriller at the same time. Could even be called proto-giallo I guess, at least in some respects. 
GG2U

Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 4:51pm
I thought it was alright but I guessed it's received mostly negative reviews? It should be said, I do not have the highest standards when it comes to film so me saying something decent isn't probably saying much!WinkLOL
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 12:47pm

An anthology film of four Japanese ghost stories. I enjoyed the second one the most, but all are pretty good and often creepy.

Darkly comic, violence levels that would make Tarantino proud and fucked up on so many levels. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 6:51am

Pretty good thriller with some really sinister aspects.

Great Fritz Lang war film. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 8:26am

I blind bought this on blu-ray in a second hand shop a few days ago. What a complete waste of money. I really wish this movie's infamy had reached my ears beforehand - never would have touched it otherwise. It's always a bad sign when a studio interferes with a movie so much that the director disowns it and forces it to be released under a pseudonym. The biggest shame is that the original vision of the movie may have been very good, but the studio wanted a Keanu Reeves cop-thriller, so the studio made sure they released a Keanu Reeves cop-thriller regardless of what the film was supposed to be. 

I haven't even finished watching it now but what they've released is so incomprehensible and feels like a mish-mash of two different movies that I'm pretty much bored and only occasionally glancing at the screen by this point. Worst movie I've seen for ages. 
GG2U

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 10:10am

It was alright, but did not reach the heights of the two original movies:

David Harbour in Hellboy (2019)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2274648/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 107108109110111 256>
  Share Topic