Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recently Watched Films

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 100101102103104 256>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2019 at 8:38am

Wasn't sold on this one at first because it took far too long to get to the point (could lose half an hour from the running time yet lose nothing if you get what I mean). Once it gets serious it gets a lot better. I'm unconvinced of Audrey Hepburn passing as a supposed Native American though. 

I was interested in this a decade ago while it was still quite new and maybe I would have enjoyed it more then. Seeing it now and I found it to be a really crap movie, hiding thin plot behind a ton of action scenes. 

I know this one is generally rated as being a step up from Hannibal, but I lost track of it part way in and only watched the bulk of the movie casually while using my PC. It's a film I'd give another go sometime, but my initial impression is that's it's safe to treat The Silence of the Lambs as a standalone. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2019 at 8:51am
^The book is great though Smile
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2019 at 11:34am

Lesser known western gem. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2019 at 2:48pm

A gem that blends western with film noir that I would have enjoyed even more were the only way I could find to get to see it were not a website upload with foreign subtitles plastered over the picture and the audio not properly synced with the picture. 

This is a well regarded film - it's really sad that there is still no UK DVD release beyond the HMV exclusive Blue-Ray/DVD Combo pack which is pointless at best if you do own a blu-ray (because who's going to use the DVD version if they do?) and extortionate at worst if you don't own a blu-ray (because they sure as hell change blu-ray price!). 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 7:39am

The law's side of the Bonnie and Clyde story. Not as good as the 60's film focusing on the crooks, but pretty solid. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 1:36pm

Really fun 1930's western comedy. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2019 at 1:20am
Mini film noir marathon last night:

GG2U

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2019 at 1:46am
I know there are very different opinions regarding a movie like this, but to me it´s art for art´s sake. Slow, creepy, and confusing, with an emphasis on odd camera Work and colors, and not much emphasis on dialogue and story. Kubrick and Cronenberg er obvious influences.
Beyond the Black Rainbow (2010)

Edited by UMUR - 06 Apr 2019 at 1:47am
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2019 at 1:56am
[QUOTE=UMUR]Viggo Mortensen and Kodi Smit-McPhee in The Road (2009)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0898367/[/QUOTE]

I´ve had some time to think about this one, and while I definitely liked it, and it probably portrays very well what will happen a few years Down the line after an apocalyptic event, where all animal and plant life are extinct, which leaves the few remaining humans without animals and crops to eat, it´s also fairly predictable, and I had hoped for more surprising twists to the story (I haven´t read the book, and of course it needs to be true to that, but still...). It´s dark, grey, and bleak, and there are some pretty damn gruesome scenes (the food cellar scene with amputated prisoners is pretty scary and nasty). So it´s the human relations and the tiny, tiny hope that there is still somewhere in the World to flee to which drive the movie.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2019 at 8:11am

Top tier noir.

Solid spy thriller. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2019 at 12:24pm

Some quite sinister moments in this one for a 50s western. 

Enjoyable action thriller sequel.
GG2U

MorniumGoatahl View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MorniumGoatahl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2019 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

I saw this once a few years ago. Went around singing Put the Blame on Mame for over a week.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 12:09am
^ Glad it's not just me.

A brilliant neo-noir. This one definitely channels Tarantino too.
GG2U

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 2:45pm
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 3:24pm

Solid family friendly western. Took my rating down a notch because of how annoying the kid gets.

Best Kubrick I've seen so far. Very entertaining. 

Very good historical drama. 
GG2U

Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 3:29pm
Eh, not a fan of that movie! Like most video game-based movies it falls apart, not staying true to the source material.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 1:00am
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 6:09am

Pretty decent but I don't find that horror movies age that well in general compared to more 'grounded' film genres. 
GG2U

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 9:43am
Originally posted by Psydye Psydye wrote:

Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

Milla Jovovich and Michelle Rodriguez in Resident Evil (2002)

Eh, not a fan of that movie! Like most video game-based movies it falls apart, not staying true to the source material.
I haven´t played the game, so that didn´t bother me. It wasn´t mindblowing in any way, but still a fairly entertaining zombie type movie. I´m in the process of watching the sequel.
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 11:06pm
I saw 'Justice League' the other day. Didn't hate it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 100101102103104 256>
  Share Topic