Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recently Watched Films

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9899100101102 256>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2019 at 3:47pm

Pretty good, even though I continually questioned why the guy kept fucking driving after the trucker really starts to mess with him. I know he was on a business trip and wanted to make his meeting, but he actually said early on that he was never going to make it because of the trucker's actions up until that point. I think that after the stop with the caged snakes et al and the trucker destroys the phone booth and afterwards he hides and falls asleep for a while...it's obvious he's not making that meeting by then. Why the fuck did he not turn around and go home? I know that wouldn't make much of an ending, but narratively it makes no sense. Neither does the trucker continuing to drive off a cliff at the end for that matter. 

I did greatly enjoy the movie, but it's so full of plot holes.

It's a entertaining enough action western, but to me the style of how the movie was made felt really off for a western. The music seemed inappropriately modern and some of the scenes ranged from cheesy to unrealistic. The scene where the group is deputised and the shot of them all together afterwards...I almost expected them to morph into bloody power rangers. I might forgive some of the unrealistic stuff in an earlier western, but this was made in the 80s. Definitely the weakest Billy the Kid film I've seen. 

Edited by adg211288 - 28 Feb 2019 at 3:48pm
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2019 at 1:21pm
Ok, this one was a bit over the top, but still pretty funny:
Idiocracy (2006)
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2019 at 3:34am

A brilliant war film though too long for me to do in a single sitting, being the 3 hour, 20 minutes director's cut version (which isn't even the longest one out there). 

The premise of this movie didn't sound too interesting to me but I like Paul Thomas Anderson's work and was able to pick this up for just 20p yesterday. Pleasantly surprised by it actually. More psychological and twisted that it appears on the surface. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2019 at 11:22am

Not a comedy that made me roar with laughter but a solid, entertaining movie.

Another average western. Kinda regretting picking up the whole Magnificent Seven series after this and the last one. Hoping that Lee Van Cleef can save number 4. 
GG2U

Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2019 at 11:50am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Ah, one of my favorites!Tongue
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 2:54am
Originally posted by Psydye Psydye wrote:

Ah, one of my favorites!Tongue
That´s the one where they constantly smoke weed right? I´ve seen it, and wasn´t too thrilled either.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 9:45am

Better than the previous one, which bored me.

Very odd movie.

Satisfying enough end to a trilogy but I can't say that I was overly enthralled by the series as a whole, even as far as the young adult dystopia trend goes. 

It was titled The Bunker instead on the copy I picked up. One of those DVD's with a completely misleading cover that had nothing to do with the movie. Despite that it wasn't too bad, but some poor acting from some of the supporting characters dragged it down throughout, as did some of the stupidity written into all the characters in the first place that went with it which by the end affected even the protagonist who escaped the terror she was in only to make a fucking terrible last minute decision which resulted in the movie ending really badly for her. Kind of ending that makes an already mediocre film fall completely apart. Frustrating movie in other words. 

Also I'll never watch Storage Wars the same way ever again. 
GG2U

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 2:45pm

Better than the previous one, which bored me.

I´ve watched the full series of movies a while back, and the only one which I enjoyed partially was the first one.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 1:20am

Pretty solid action movie.

A weaker Hitchcock, but I enjoyed it more than it's reputation implies I should. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 2:15pm

Very good pair of WWII films. 

Top tier noir. Actually hard to believe this is only a PG movie. 
GG2U

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2019 at 3:06pm
My son wanted to Watch these, so I´m rewatching the Whole series with him:

Jennifer Lawrence in The Hunger Games (2012)
Jennifer Lawrence in The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (2013)https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1951264/?ref_=tt_rec_tti
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2019 at 6:43am
Last 10 Movies Seen For the First Time:

The Glass Key (1942) - 4/5
The Far Country (1954) - 4.5/5
The Lady From Shanghai (1947) - 4.5/5
The Big Heat (1953) - 5/5
Groundhog Day (1993) - 4.5/5
Key Largo (1948) - 5/5
White Hunter Black Heart (1990) - 4.5/5
In a Lonely Place (1950) - 5/5
Absolute Power (1997) - 4.5/5
Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World (2003) - 4/5
GG2U

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 3:55pm
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 4:27pm
Last 10 Movies Seen for the first time:

Hacksaw Ridge (2016) - 5/5 - One of the best war movies I've ever seen.
Halloween II (1981) - 4/5 - Better than expected.
Wyatt Earp (1994) - 4/5 - A solid biopic, though did feel too long at just over three hours.
Polar (2019) - 4.5/5 - Not getting the hate here. A very solid darkly comic action movie.
Fish Tank (2009) - 3.5/5 - Not really my kind of movie, but had some enjoyable moments. 
Play Misty For Me (1971) - 4.5/5 - Excellent directorial debut from Clint Eastwood.
Coogan's Bluff (1968) - 4.5/5 - Probably the closest Eastwood came to starring in a neo-western. The city setting precludes it from really counting, but the elements are all there in his character.
The Beguiled (1971) - 5/5 - Very different for Eastwood. A well done movie that by it's conclusion there's few characters you can fully sympathise with.
The First Purge (2018) - 3/5 - A solid enough entry in the franchise but after four films it all's been there, done that; ironic considering it's the prequel.
House by the River (1950) - 3.5/5 - A weaker Fritz Lang noir. 
GG2U

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 10:16am
...and Thus ends me and my sons viewing of all four Hunger Games movies:

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 2:21pm
I thought it would be awful, but although it´s definitely tacky and pretty badly acted, I was actually pretty well entertained:

Pamela Anderson in Barb Wire (1996)
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 3:51pm
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 9:21am
Fairly entertaining virus outbreak movie, but nothing too special:
Containment (2015)
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 4:51pm
Last ten movies seen for the first time:

Sunset Boulevard (1950) - 4.5/5 - wouldn't rate it as the best noir like it is on RYM, but very, very good.

Triple Frontier (2019) - 4/5 - a solid heist film with a strong cast, but somehow it never manages to reach being excellent.

Changeling (2008) - 5/5 - probably the best Clint Eastwood directed movie that he doesn't star in and I say that as a big fan of Mystic River. This true crime movie was one of the most horrifying I've seen. 

Dead Reckoning (1947) - 4.5/5 - It's film noir starring Humphrey Bogart. What's not to like?

Broken Arrow (1950) - 4/5 - This James Stewart western is solid enough and tells an important tale, but it never reaches the heights of the ones he did with Anthony Mann. 

Ghost in the Shell (2017) - 3.5/5 - I've never watched the anime of this. Basically I only watched it for Scarlett, even though I know her casting was considered controversial (except for in Japan apparently and ironically - isn't it always the way whenever politically correct issues are raised that the ones supposedly offended are the least bothered by something?). It's a stylish sci-fi movie with some good action scenes, but the plot itself didn't compel me too much.

The Arrival (1996) - 4.5/5 - Very good lesser known sci-fi gem. 

Locke (2014) - 4/5 - For a movie which takes entirely inside a car during one long nighttime journey, this is actually quite compelling. Of course it helps that the one actor on screen is the excellent Tom Hardy.

Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom (2018) - 4/5 - People hyped the last one which I found essentially a rehash of the original. This one actually felt a bit more fresh.

Gone Baby Gone (2007) - 3.5/5 - Nowhere near as compelling as I'd expected it to be, based on it's good reputation. I disliked the end as well, though I guess it was at least a realistic conclusion. 

Edited by adg211288 - 16 Mar 2019 at 4:53pm
GG2U

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2019 at 3:23pm
Hmm...this one could have been so much more, but it was overlong and a bit boring. I am told the book should be really great and tell in great detail how people in the Sovjet lived in fear and paranoia: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1014763/?ref_=nv_sr_1
Gary Oldman, Tom Hardy, and Noomi Rapace in Child 44 (2015)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9899100101102 256>
  Share Topic