Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recently Watched Films

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 236237238239240 256>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2022 at 11:28pm
Zulu is still regarded as a great movie, this isn't. This covers the battle of Isandlwana, which occurred a few hours before the battle at Rorke's Drift, and in this case the British army got massacred. The battle scenes are excellent, but they are somewhat unfocused, because it's hard to know where all the main players and forces are actually situated. The movie has a very strong cast, although there was criticism levelled at casting Burt Lancaster because he was shit at accents. I think this is thought of as the far lesser movie because Zulu is so fondly remembered, and in this one the British lose. Also, they are portrayed as less sympathetic to the Africans which is more realistic but might be hard to stomach.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2022 at 9:33am

I enjoyed this director's last film, Penguin Highway, a lot. This one didn't work on a lot of levels for me. I found the plot rather poorly explained so I'm not sure of exactly how what happened was supposed to have happened. The main characters (who are all kids) really weren't sympathetic and can be reduced to high school stereotypes, while the supporting characters (also all kids) and generally bland foils for their more important friends. 

If you want a movie about people in a world that is completely flooded, you'd do better to watch Waterworld. 

Darkly comic Irish crime antics. Amusing throughout even if hardly revolutionary. I'd call it underrated. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 2:11pm

Not horrible, but a good thriller should have more tension. 

Also not horrible, but too like the much better movie The Autopsy of Jane Doe. 

Neither of these turned out to be really worth watching. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2022 at 10:16pm

Based on James Clavell's own experiences in a Japanese POW camp. Interestingly, there's not much Japanese presence through much of the movie (compare it to Bridge on the River Kwai), just that sense that they are always there. There's also the clash of cultures, between the British and Aussies vs the Americans.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2022 at 1:44am

OK, I admit I watched this purely because it has Lemmy playing a bit part as a water taxi driver. He plays Ace of Spades in his cab too. And Iggy Pop is a radio DJ. There's also a snippet of Ministry, which curiously has a GWAR video playing in the background... But anyway, it's a good looking evil robot movie. It's like Blade Runner without the noir and the compelling story, but once you know it's an evil robot story, that's about all there is to it.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2022 at 2:46am
I got behind here again:

Meh. Some similar vibes to The Descent, which is a much better film and should just be watched instead.

This was good, although it's apparently very far from the book upon which it is based. Not always the best paced film, but Edward Norton (who also directs and screenwrites) gives a compelling, committed performance as the Tourettes suffering protagonist. The supporting cast is strong too. 

A quite bleak film from South Korea. I noted this one as being from the same director as New World, which was brilliant. Sadly this one is less so, as it drags somewhere in places, particularly in the middle. The ending though is surprising and brutal. 

Finally got around to watching this one which has been on my radar for a while. It's not as good as I'd hoped, but I enjoyed it. I feel like they could have done more with the idea than they did, especially considering it's 2 hour plus runtime. 

This was okay. A slow burning psych horror from Ireland. 

Piss-poor, sadly. 

The first TV movie or as they call it, 'special presentation' of the MCU (it's only just long enough to qualify as a film). A massive departure for the franchise, since until the final scene it's in black and white and made to feel like an older horror movie from the 1930s to 1940s. 

Now this was good, especially for a 'slasher', although I'm struggling to completely accept this in slasher canon, since it takes just about an entire hour to feature a kill. It certainly turns into one at that point though. The lead actress, Mia Goth, plays dual roles as both the protagonist and antagonist. 

Whatever you want to call it, X is certainly among the best modern horror movies and it's prequel, Pearl, filmed in secret at the same time, is supposed to be even better. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2022 at 4:43pm

Similar message to Westworld - don't be mean to sexy androids.

Edited by Vim Fuego - 08 Oct 2022 at 10:01pm
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2022 at 10:01pm

Still silly, but still fun. The second biggest movie of 1977 after Star Wars.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2022 at 11:01am

A fun sci-fi romp that I'd probably have loved had I seen it when I was younger, rather than this being the first time. 

The best thing I can say about it is that it's very 80s. Otherwise one big pile of meh. 

The first of two of what I'm calling not-biopics that I watched today. I didn't find this as messy as some are saying (but it's totally as exploitative as they're saying). It's most questionable aspect is the running time. This doesn't feel like it needs to be a near three hour movie. It gets an extra half star though for Ana de Armas' performance. 

This one though was bloody brilliant. It's not the most sympathetic portrayal of the British Royal Family, but this is supposed to be the most accurate portrayal of what Diana was actually like. But again, I'd call this a 'non-biopic' since it's even more fictional than Blonde. Actually, this is not unlike a horror movie in some respects. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2022 at 9:32am

Art the Clown may just be one of the best modern slasher killers, but this first feature outing for him isn't all that good. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2022 at 7:14am

Genuinely disturbing British thriller from Hammer. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2022 at 3:30pm

That was brilliant. Great thriller, but also very funny. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2022 at 3:44am

Not sure what I was expecting, but it probably wasn't that. Great performance from Daniel Day-Lewis though.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2022 at 2:26pm

This one was controversial when it was released. It's quite violent for a 1940s movie, something it actually managed to get by the British censors. Obviously tame compared to some of the stuff they make today of course. Some critics actually call it one of the worst films ever made, but I found it really quite solid. It's dragged down a bit by sometimes poor acting, including the fact that it's a British film with a British cast trying to do something set in America and not always convincingly. 

Fantastic film. Ending's a right downer though. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2022 at 3:13am
Working my way through the Samuel Fuller at Columbia collection from Indicator films. 

Comedy set at the transition from silent films to talkies in Hollywood and how actors could get left behind, with a subplot about a sick kid who just wants to spend time with his favourite western movie star. It's all a bit feelgood, perhaps a bit too much so considering how so many stars of early Hollywood basically had their careers flushed down the shitter when talkies came along, but it's not a bad movie per se. A scene where they put on a party for the kid and bring in lookalikes for many famous faces of the day (including Charlie Chaplin and Mae West) is quite amusing. The actual film's biggest claim to fame is probably that it has Fay Wray in it, who played Ann Darrow in King Kong. 

Very short, doesn't even hit one hour. Not bad but throwaway. The film is an early example of a 'ranking military man on a power trip over his men' narrative, although the much more essential Mutiny on the Bounty predates it. 

Made during wartime and obviously intended as propaganda. Best one on the first disc of three shortish features though. It deals with corruption in the press. 

For the rest of the series we're in film noir territory. This one is an example of a romantic noir, which were comparatively rare. The plot requires a bit of suspension of disbelief at times due to the amount of coincidences and ironies during the final sequence, but it's overall quite solid. 

The best one so far with two more to watch. This one starts out seemingly like another film about the press like Power of the Press, but quickly turns into a story of murder. Broderick Crawford, an actor I've seen in a few lesser known noirs now, stars. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2022 at 6:18am

I thought I'd seen this, but watching I realised I hadn't. But I have now.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2022 at 11:12pm

A 1934 exploitation film, rated one of the worst movies of all time. You've seen better acting in primary school plays. There's also a surprising amount of nudity. And it steals footage from Haxan. Weird all round, and not in a good way.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2022 at 11:45pm
And Maniac was from this list of awful movies:

I've now seen 16 of them.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2022 at 12:40am
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

I've only seen 3. The fifth one on the list is actually pretty good. 

I wrote about it in my Quora Space recently.

GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2022 at 2:00am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

I've only seen 3. The fifth one on the list is actually pretty good. 

I wrote about it in my Quora Space recently.

Some of them arequite entertaining. I just finished watching another one. It helps that they aren't very long, and the first few are on YouTube.

Everyone in the cast was under 4 foot 8 inches. This leads to some silly visual jokes, like characters walking under saloon doors and hitching rails, and Shetland pony horse chases. A fairly plain Western story, but the cast makes for a bit of a novelty (I feel a little dirty for having watched such an exploitative movie...) and there's a lot of very good but squeaky singing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 236237238239240 256>
  Share Topic