Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recently Watched Films

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 231232233234235 256>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2022 at 3:34pm

Based on a true story. Personally I struggle a bit with modern war films since the the events still feel too recent to watch the same way as WWI or WWII movies. This one was okay, but I think does show that something that should be inspiring doesn't necessarily make the most compelling movie: this is basically just the soldiers moving from one site to the next, doing the same thing, with quick breather parts in between that allow for minimal character development before the cycle continues, leading up to the final, highest stakes battle. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2022 at 3:58pm

Wanted something to just chill out to that I didn't necessarily need to concentrate on that much and picked this horror movie off of Prime. Well mission over-fucking-accomplished because this was so shite I just completely zoned out to it. 
GG2U

Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2022 at 10:16pm

pretty weak
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2022 at 12:49am
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2022 at 4:50am

Roddy Piper, scantily clad women and mutant frog people. What more could you ask for?
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2022 at 6:32am
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

Roddy Piper, scantily clad women and mutant frog people. What more could you ask for?

I´m not sure Patrick...I think I could come up with a few things LOL.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2022 at 1:33pm

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4123432/
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2022 at 1:07am

I don't care what anyone else thinks. I still think this is funny.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2022 at 5:26am

So bloody boring in sixth form English class, but compelling and understandably a story for all time in this version. The only disappointment is no Rosencrantz and Guildenstern, removed to shorten an already long story.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2022 at 1:23am

Clint being Clint. Not as moody as his spaghetti westerns, but a great western.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2022 at 5:45am

The rugby was a disaster tonight, so I needed a disaster movie, but got a disaster of a movie. Silly but exciting premise made flat and boring, and a wonderful supporting cast woefully underutilised. The original and Airport '77 are far superior.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2022 at 10:07pm

This might not stick exactly to the letter of the story, but it keeps to the spirit of it. Liked this a lot.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2022 at 2:18am

There's nothing like a mindless war movie for a Sunday afternoon. Lee Marvin didn't like this much because it was so implausible, but I enjoyed it. Loved Telly Savalas playing unhinged so well, Charles Bronson doing brooding, and Donald Sutherland playing stupid.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 3:21pm
Got some catch up with my posting here to do:

I'm not sure how much of this has a grain of truth and how much is just speculative bollocks, but I quite enjoyed this one. 

It's official: there are simply too many of these survival films now for any of them to be remotely compelling. 

Futuristic war movie from Sweden. Watchable but not great. I was never sure exactly who Sweden were supposed to be fighting in the film. 

Quirky little puppet animation anthology from Netflix; three stories set in the same house across three different eras of (alternate) history that first sees anthropomorphic rats replace humans in the modern era, before the cats take over in a flooded, apocalyptic future. 

Actually I don't know if the three stories are really supposed to have any sort of linked continuity but either way it's very much worth a watch. 

This was never going to be as good as the first time around, but it's still the same kind of big dumb fun. 

An inspirational war story. The film's pacing could have used some work but overall it's good. Apparently it has a very unnecessary sequel with almost none of the cast and crew involved, but I think I'll be passing on that. 

Three Rush Hour's might be too many according to some, but this series stops here before it gets too old and it's still all good fun viewing. 

And now we have what has been for a while my most anticipated film and it did not disappoint. Directed by Robert Eggers who did The Witch and The Lighthouse before this, this one has him setting horror aside for a Viking epic, though it isn't without his sense of weird. If his previous films are anything to judge by this one will hit even better on repeat viewings.

This was really good. Great mystery plot and few films would put so many top actors of the day in disguise the way this does. 

Now for re-watches:

This one really opened up to me the second time around. Told in more or less real time on one fateful evening a boxing match is going on, but the real story is the titular set-up, and how the boxer who was supposed to take a fall, didn't. Because no one told him it was expected, so little faith his own people had in hit winning the fight. 

Very brutal film from Indonesia (by way of a Welsh director). Brilliant martial arts action. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2022 at 12:11am

the ending was too much of a cop-out
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2022 at 6:26am

Lacks the majestic feel of 2001 but overall I find it fair expansion on that film. 

High Noon on Jupiter's Moon. 

This kind of giant monster movie is obviously very dated now, but these effects were considered pretty special back in the day. All in all quite a good fun movie. 

Edited by adg211288 - 20 Jul 2022 at 6:26am
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2022 at 1:24pm

Peckinpah's second western isn't the best film of its genre around and certainly a way off his own best works in the genre, but it's an important one being the final outing of genre star Randolph Scott, as well as one of the last few for Joel McCrea. It's also set right at the end of the western period, so there are a few modern elements starting to appear.

One of the big three 1930s gangster films. The story is a basic 'rise and fall' narrative, laying groundwork for many to come along with Scarface and The Public Enemy. 

A gothic, moodily lit vampire tale that includes David Bowie among its cast. It's not excellent due to too much style over substance, but altogether it's solid.
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2022 at 5:02am

Mad is fucking right! A last hurrah for a few big comedy names, and a tribute to a number of others. Crazy slapstick from beginning to end. This movie took up 80% of the stuntmen (they were all men back then) in Hollywood at the time, and some of the stunts are rather impressive. There's also a number of blink-and-you'll-miss-them cameos, which are a lot of fun.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2022 at 12:49pm

decent, but does every Kurosawa movie have to be about how lonely he is?
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2022 at 4:31pm

A nautical gem. Apparently this was quite popular back in the day, but it seems like it's been largely forgotten today. 

Solid film noir dealing with mental illness. Joan Crawford perfectly cast as the lead. 

Very funny, though some elements are very dated, especially a scene that involves Aykroyd donning blackface. 
GG2U

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 231232233234235 256>
  Share Topic