Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recently Watched Films

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 229230231232233 256>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2022 at 12:59am
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

I knew nothing about this movie, but it's quite the feel-good story. That it's based on a true story is both really cool and really sad, because racism like that demonstrated here is such a stupid, evil, simple-minded attitude.

A lot of people shit on this for winning Best Picture. I found it really compelling though. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2022 at 2:51am

No one does the Cold War quite like le Carre. Richard Burton is excellent, and probably didn't need a lot of practice for the drunk scenes.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2022 at 4:17am

If you've seen The Cannonball Run then you know the premise of this movie. It came the year after David Carradine had done the campy Death Race 2000 but this just isn't in the same class. There's some nice car stunts, but there's no comedy or fun.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2022 at 6:57pm

Really trashy and dumb. There's supposed to be a plot somewhere, but I think it disappeared the same place as most of the female wardrobe. Most notable for showcasing an early incantation of Vixen (pre-glam metal and fully clothed) as a band called Diaper Rash...
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2022 at 11:15pm

Just my sort of stupid. A lot of really juvenile laughs to be had here.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2022 at 4:47pm

Pretty solid dark comedy from Iceland. An argument between neighbours gets out of control. 

Columbia Noir 5 is here. Disc 1: Dead Reckoning

I've actually seen this one before (a first in this boxset series), but I liked it more this time around. This entire volume of the collection (the last one before the label turns onto Universal Noir) is Bogart themed, so I'm expecting this to be the strongest set overall. There are no Three Stooges shorts on this one though.

Disc 2: Knock on Any Door

This one was good, but it is made by Bogart's big speech at the end. 

Excellent Spaghetti western from the director of Django and The Great Silence. 

Also excellent spaghetti western. There are a lot of unofficial Django films (many of them, including this, include no character called Django) but this is surely one of the better ones. Often brutal, some aesthetic elements may not be out of place in a horror movies. 

Speaking of horror, I gave this one a look. Unfortunately it wasn't good.

Good cast but I only watched this today and I can already barely remember anything that happened. It just wasn't involving at all. 

It wasn't that long ago I watched this last, but I found a cheap blu-ray copy I needed to test before getting rid of my DVD copy and I did want to see it again having recently read the book (and the book's sequel). I thought the film might be diminished having read the book but I still really like this version. I kinda wish though they'd kept some more of the brutality of IOI in the film, such as the film keeping certain characters alive who are killed in the book. 

Been meaning to watch this one again for a long time. Really don't know why it took so long.

Like Ready Player One, it wasn't that long ago I last saw this, but it was another blu-ray find to much sure it worked. Also, I think this film gets better on every viewing. I actually consider it the 2001 of its generation. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2022 at 4:11am

Truly lives up to it's tag line in the best possible way. Don't expect anything witty and you won't be disappointed.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2022 at 4:20am

A priest who can turn into a dinosaur and kills bad people and fights ninjas. No, it's not actually as good as it sounds.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2022 at 10:57am

Never seen these before. The first one was a big deal when it was released if I recall correctly. Don't see them talked about much now; might be because the first one would never get made the way it is today with Maggie Smith's character's racism in the early part of the movie constantly being used as humour. As well as a fact that out of all these people in the retirement hotel, the only one who 'checks out' (read: dies) is the one gay character, which of course is seen as problematic these days. 

If you can look past its issues, it's a very funny film and the second is solid, with a cast primarily made up of veteran Brits who are more or less delightful outside of the casual racism issue. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2022 at 4:52pm

Columbia Noir 5 disc 3: Tokyo Joe.

Pretty solid, even underrated Bogart outing. I just wish it subbed the Japanese dialogue. I can follow the gist of what is said based on context of the scene, but this is becoming a pet peeve of mine in movies. The ending could have been better but is very 'Hollywood' in the way it resolves things. 

This is a pretty weird anime film. As great as I'd expect a Satoshi Kon film to be though. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2022 at 2:15pm

Very good Brit-Noir. Might have even rated this one 4.5 but it makes a big mistake in its very first scene by revealing who the real killer is, so the audience isn't really along for the ride in trying to solve the mystery. The end is powerful though. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2022 at 4:26am

A very simple story well told. There seemed to be great chemistry between Bill Murray and Scarlett Johansson despite their age gap, and that's what really makes the movie work.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2022 at 2:34am

Interesting to rewatch after having seen it years ago. Sadly still relevant today.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2022 at 4:49am

Some parts of this are as funny as fuck, but I don't think it's as consistently funny as his other movies.
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2022 at 12:18pm
^ it’s one of those films I always meant to see but never did. I guess I’ll have seen the highlights in TikTok or whatever, anyway.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2022 at 12:02am

So damn glad I didn't have to live through WW2. Not exactly a POW tale, but not exactly not. While not a true story, it's based on true events. The cruelty and complete disregard for people seen as unimportant is brutal but not graphic. And there's a little casual racism, but it's got to be judged by it's time, not modern standards.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2022 at 2:07am

Quite a gut punch. And an unusual role for Robert De Niro.

Such an insanely talented cast for such an insanely meh movie. 

Columbia Noir 5 Disc 4: Sirocco

I actually owned this one on DVD already so it's a re-watch. A little known gem of Bogart's filmography.

Columbia Noir 5 Disc 5: The Family Secret

The only film in the set Bogart isn't in: it was produced by this production company. Very little known film that turns out to be pretty solid. 

It's supposed to be satire, but mostly it's just a cringe movie that isn't as funny as it thinks it is. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2022 at 4:20pm

Really very entertaining!
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2022 at 4:57pm

Michael Crichton created some great techno-thrillers. This isn't one of them. People in gorilla suits and magic diamonds are silly at the best of times. Laura Linney does her best, but Tim Curry's character is complete cringe, and having Bruce Campbell in such a minor role is criminal!
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2022 at 4:37pm
Columbia Noir 5 Disc 6: The Harder They Fall

Had this one on DVD as well, but the blu-ray in the set is 4k restored and looks fantastic. Big shame the other movies in the set didn't get this treatment: it was disappointing in that respect. 

Anyway, this one has the sad distinction of being Bogart's last film, but he went out on a high. 

Not horror, but this sure brings the chills. Also the first film appearance of Billy Connolly. 

A mere 7 people including me on RYM have rated this film and that is more criminal than the heist these guys wanna pull. Absolute gem of a film.

From a former Studio Ghibli animator, this is a solid little anime film. Though only PG rated it touches on more mature themes as well. 

Edited by adg211288 - 04 Jul 2022 at 4:37pm
GG2U

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 229230231232233 256>
  Share Topic