Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recently Watched Films

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 228229230231232 256>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2022 at 11:43pm

This has it's moments. It's several very loosely related stories all linked by the location of the hotel (Think Four Rooms for a more modern version). Loved Lionel Barrymore's Kringelein. It's also the first movie I've ever seen with Joan Crawford and Greta Garbo in. I can now see why they were considered such stars of their time.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2022 at 2:13am
I've seen a few with Crawford. She was in Mildred Pierce, Johnny Guitar and What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? which are all recommendable. Never seen any Garbo movies though.  
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2022 at 11:15pm

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2022 at 2:56pm

Last movie in the John Ford set and it's also a pretty good one. Political satire this time around. 

I could barely watch this. A random pickup from a second hand shop, but what a bad pick this turned out to be. Not only a crap film that wastes any and all potential the idea may have, but as a massive arachnophobe, I spent a lot of the time having to look away from the pure nightmare fuel that this movie turned out to be. I'm usually okay with spiders to look at on film when I'm expecting them, but this film is about an arachnophobe, and they used the foulest, creepiest looking spiders they could find for this with lots of close up shots. I don't know if they were in fact CGI or real but it didn't matter. For me, it was too much. And I wish the blu ray case had given some indication about how important the spiders were to the plot. All it has is two tiny ones on the cover where you can barely see them (also as part of a scene they're not even used in, as well as being much more normal looking ones than actually appear in the movie). Makes me think content advisory labels should be made to mention when a film heavily exploits a common phobia like this. I actually feel attacked by this movie. Fuck spiders and fuck this movie. It's become only the second film I've rated 0.5 that I did (kind of) make it to the end of. The rating usually reserved for crap I can't finish. 

Went classic and old school after the train wreck that was Rupture. Sadly this one is missing some six minutes of footage that has to be pieced together with the audio track and production stills every so on and the quality of some material that was previously missing takes a dive, but mostly this has been made to look really great for a 1930s film. It's not the best I've ever seen but it was enjoyable. 

Wasn't sure about this at first but it gradually got more and more twisty. I enjoyed it. 

Yeah, kinda meh. Bond without the iconic theme turns out to be just plain weird. Connery is clearly past it to play the character convincingly (even more so than the too long in the role Roger Moore) and after a while I found I just couldn't care less. I mean what actually is the point when Thunderball exists? It's not all bad though. Bond has a fight with Bomber from Auf Wiedersehen, Pet and gets to meet Mr. Bean. 

Re-watches:

Even better on the second watch. I promised myself last time that the next time I saw this I'd watch it in one sitting. Well I failed that again due to getting distracted by something. But next time I'm going to make extra effort to watch this right. I expect it will get better again when I do. Probably Ceylan's best film.

A very long overdue re-watch. In fact it's been so long it was mostly like seeing the movie for the first time. 

I still want District 10. 

I've only seen this version once before. I prefer the Swedish one, especially the extended cut that turns all three into a six episode miniseries. But I think this one is a rare case of an English language remake of a foreign film that is actually worthy. I found a blu-ray copy for only £1 today, so decided to upgrade my old DVD copy. Moreso because Fincher is one of my favourite directors (I also got Gone Girl on blu-ray for the same price) than because of what the film is. I'm still most likely to go for the Swedish versions when I want this story. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2022 at 4:41am

As far as random second hand shop pickups go, this one was pretty decent. It's not ever going to be thought of as a 'great' movie, but it's worth your time for an under 90 minute thrill ride. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2022 at 2:56pm

This movie ticks so many of my personal boxes it may just have got one over on The Dark Knight for me. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 3:14pm

Not 'great' but also not as worthless as some would have you believe. An intriguing supernatural mystery. 

Had this on my shelf to watch for a while but never seemed to get around to it. I was missing out. An artful, beautiful film (not without it's tragic moments). 

Latest re-watches:

I think the story of Gone Girl is one of those that loses something once you know the plot twist, but it's still a very watchable film and a solid adaptation of the novel. 

Started to go through the Bourne series again. The original trilogy is one of the most consistently solid ever made. I'll be skipping over Bourne Legacy since I didn't keep my copy of it (so unnecessary and boring), but will go onto Jason Bourne afterwards. That one's better than some give it credit for.

I have only seen the much shorter, theatrical cut before. This time I watched the almost three hour long director's cut. It gives a lot more resolution to the story and has elevated this to one of my favourite movies. It is equal parts beautiful and heart-breaking, with some elements of comedy. If you love cinema, then you need to see this film. It's basically a love letter to the art. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2022 at 10:51pm

Greatest Show On Earth? Maybe not, but it's a hell of a spectacle. This is one of those movies which would really benefit from seeing it on the big screen to truly appreciate the scale and scope. It's a movie that really couldn't be made now, because it has real live circus performances mixed with scripted performance, and these circuses just don't exist any more, and there's no way you could do those animal tricks any more. Betty Hutton and Gloria Grahame really shine here, outdoing their male counterparts (this was Charlton Heston's break-out role so he was lesser known than the other leads, And Jimmy Stewart wears clown make-up for the entire movie), and the pair, along with Cornel Wilde, had to learn genuine circus skills for their roles.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2022 at 3:36am

Based on actual events, so this is an extra harrowing picture of war, which also got Brian de Palma accused of treason from some Americans. 

Another in the trend of horror sequels that bear exactly the same name as the first film of their franchise. This one is watchable, but it doesn't hold a candle to the original film. 

Meh. Was expecting more horror than it turned out to be. Definitely not Michael Caine's finest work. 

Re-watches:

The rest of the Bourne series, minus Legacy. The last film is perhaps unnecessary but solid all the same. 

Last film of the Nuri Bilge Ceylan boxset. I really like this one and it seems like it went under the radar a bit more than his previous two movies. Looking forward to seeing what he does next!

Very re-watchable in spite of it not being the Christmas season. This is basically a riff on the old John Wayne western 3 Godfathers. It's rare on UK blu-ray but I was lucky to score a copy off of ebay this week. Essential viewing for anime fans.

I've watched this one quite a few times. It's a favourite and an underseen film. Shia LaBeouf, Tom Hardy and Jason Clarke play a trio of bootlegging brothers during Prohibition, leading a great cast which includes Gary Oldman as a local gangster, Guy Pearce as a villainous lawman and Jessica Chastain and Mia Wasikowska as two of the brothers love interests. It's all based in fact as well. 
GG2U

Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2022 at 10:24am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Yeah, kinda meh. Bond without the iconic theme turns out to be just plain weird. Connery is clearly past it to play the character convincingly (even more so than the too long in the role Roger Moore) and after a while I found I just couldn't care less. I mean what actually is the point when Thunderball exists? It's not all bad though. Bond has a fight with Bomber from Auf Wiedersehen, Pet and gets to meet Mr. Bean. 

I've got to make time for this one just for the hell of it. I read Rowan Atkinson's autobiography years back, and remember him bringing up his role in this movie. I can't recall what he said about it, but I doubt it was glowing praise. LOL
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2022 at 7:41pm

Maligned for it's poor special effects, and overshadowed by the 1980s TV series, this is still a pretty good horror movie. Being a British horror rather than American, the budget isn't what it could be, but SFX aside it's very well done.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2022 at 10:08pm

Not big or clever, but it made me laugh and made me hungry, and I'm not even a stoner.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2022 at 12:36am

The original version (which was made by the same director) is better, but this one is also a decent watch. Or re-watch as this was. 

Decent WWI movie. An account of the Battle of Messines. 

Pretty good. Moral of the story: don't fuck with the CIA. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2022 at 11:06am

A gritty tale of corrupt cops in the NYPD. The film was originally supposed to be made earlier with different stars (though the final cast is solid), but was shelved due to no one wanting to touch the script after 9/11 when it paints the NYPD in such a negative light. Not hard to see why. Surprised it got made less than ten years after to be honest. Solid film though. 

I have a few takeaways from this one:

1. Stephen Graham is a massively underrated actor. In fact the entire cast deserves heaps of praise as the movie is shot entirely in one take under pressure of the very first Covid lockdown looming (which meant they could only do half the attempts they had planned).

2. I never want to work in a restaurant. 

3. Fuck the guy at table 7. 

A female astronaut prepares to go to space for a year, leaving her daughter behind. It's a very sentimental movie, but compelling enough. However they take the sentimentality too far in the climax of the film which turns Eva Green's protagonist immediately from a character you're rooting for to someone much less sympathetic: a moment which is obviously supposed to be heartfelt and charming but actually kills the movie, especially in a world that's had to deal with Covid (this came out in 2019). 

This anime film's visuals are good and it has an interesting concept, but the actual storyline is too thin and some of the action sequences make me feel like I'm watching a level of Sonic the Hedgehog. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2022 at 4:45pm

It's better than some say it is, but it's not great either. The protagonist is on the spectrum, portrayed as trying to help himself function better, but is inadvertently creepy in his methods. Then he gets caught up in a murder. Worth a watch but not a re-watch. 

Genuinely thought this would suck. Instead it was the most fun I've had with a comedy film for a while. As a metalhead, it's very relatable. The character of Hunter (he's the one in the corpsepaint on the poster) can be cringe and engages in gatekeeping, but given his age that's pretty accurate. He grows as a person during the movie (which includes cameos from Scott Ian, Tom Morello, Kirk Hammett and Rob Halford), but I guess any metalhead who hasn't matured enough may feel attacked by his character. Musically it pays its dues to both the classics and modern heavyweights. It's biggest mis-step is the genre of music the trio ultimately play, which is referred to alternately as post-death metal or post death-doom metal, but actually sounds more like thrash come the finish. Some of the humour is tongue-in-cheek like them being forced to change their band name from Skullfucker to Skullflower to be let on stage at the battle of the bands and then sticking with it afterwards. 
GG2U

666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2022 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Genuinely thought this would suck. Instead it was the most fun I've had with a comedy film for a while. As a metalhead, it's very relatable. The character of Hunter (he's the one in the corpsepaint on the poster) can be cringe and engages in gatekeeping, but given his age that's pretty accurate. He grows as a person during the movie (which includes cameos from Scott Ian, Tom Morello, Kirk Hammett and Rob Halford), but I guess any metalhead who hasn't matured enough may feel attacked by his character. Musically it pays its dues to both the classics and modern heavyweights. It's biggest mis-step is the genre of music the trio ultimately play, which is referred to alternately as post-death metal or post death-doom metal, but actually sounds more like thrash come the finish. Some of the humour is tongue-in-cheek like them being forced to change their band name from Skullfucker to Skullflower to be let on stage at the battle of the bands and then sticking with it afterwards. 

I watched this and yeah, it was surprising, although it nearly lost me with the way Hunter treated Emily at first. 
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2022 at 3:24pm

This has some missed chances and misteps in some ways, although I think I may actually admire it for just not completely giving into fan service. Otherwise this is quite a wild ride and for me one ups the first Doctor Strange movie (which I actually can barely remember). 

I'm really hoping though at some point the MCU (and we start calling it the MCM now, seriously) addresses why some people in different universes seem to always look the same (Doctor Strange and everyone who has more than one version in this movie) and why some are played by different actors (Spider-Man, Loki), who may exist in different times to each other (Spider-Man, again), other than just being fan service. 
GG2U

DippoMagoo View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Power & Neo, Goth & Symph, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2022 at 11:01pm
^Just watched it. I also thought it was excellent, and one of the better MCU movies. I don't really care either way for cameos or the like, so that didn't effect my enjoyment much (though one cameo in particular was really cool to see after all this time.) I liked the that movie just as weird, dark and silly as I had heard it was, while still having some excellent character moments, and excellent action as always. Some of the stuff near the end sure was way out there, but in a really awesome way, lol
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 1:14am
There was a lot of speculation of who was going to appear in this as they go through the multiverse, but it's probably a good thing they didn't go overboard. 

The biggest issue is how they used the cameos they did include. 

One alternate character in particular, based on how overpowered their 616 version is, feels like they shouldn't have been killed so easily. And in general I'd have liked to have seen that team stick around longer. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2022 at 12:26am

I knew nothing about this movie, but it's quite the feel-good story. That it's based on a true story is both really cool and really sad, because racism like that demonstrated here is such a stupid, evil, simple-minded attitude.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 228229230231232 256>
  Share Topic