Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recently Watched Films

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 224225226227228 256>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Power & Neo, Goth & Symph, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2022 at 9:57pm
This one was quite interesting. I've always loved Benedict Cumberbatch, so I figured I'd be a fan of him in an MCU movie, and he certainly did not disappoint! I also found the action to be quite unique, due to how the magic works, which is quite unusual. I'm not sure how I feel about a few things (the ending in particular felt kinda anticlimactic, imo), but overall it was a lot of fun, and one of the better origin stories, for sure.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2022 at 2:21am

More than 70 years old and so much of it still rings true. Mercedes McCambridge won Best Actress in a Supporting Role, and later went on to be the voice of the Demon in The Exorcist.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2022 at 4:20am
Only one first time watch in the last few days:

This is the last Nuri Bilge Ceylan film I had to see (three more from the boxset to re-watch still) and it turned out to be the hardest for me to get into, though I ultimately found it a solid film. 

Re-watches:

A great Spanish language supernatural mystery. 

The original and best. 

A long time favourite of mine, though the older I get, the more I interpret this in a more realistic way from the fairy tale fantasy it appears to be: that it may just be all a child's imagination used as a coping mechanism for the harsh reality she lives in. Which makes the ending all the more darker. 

This is a very good sequel. 

Hunted down the 4K restored version of one of my favourite films, complete with a collector's booklet and letter from Scorsese about the film. Looks glorious and as ever so rewatchable. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2022 at 9:41pm
DippoMagoo View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2022 at 10:07pm
Surprisingly, I  think this is my new favorite MCU movie. It has the same amazing comedy and action as the first movie, along with fantastic character interactions and story-telling, except if anything I found everything to be even better than before, and the ending actually made me cry, which no Marvel movie had ever done before. A legit 5 star movie for me, tbh. I guess Vol. 3 is now my most anticipated MCU movie ever!
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2022 at 10:20pm

This was excellent.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2022 at 8:11am

This less well known movie is what Dennis Hopper did after Easy Rider. Unfortunately it is nowhere near as good and probably forgotten for a reason rather than be an overlooked gem. First blind buy from Indicator which hasn't hit the mark for me. 

One of the greatest sequels ever made. I do prefer the slow burning horror atmosphere of the original, but this action follow-up is also so damn good. 

Next come the tricky ones though. Confused
GG2U

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2022 at 11:45am
I usually don´t like Cronenberg movies, and this one was no exception. Completely ameturish:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076590/

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2022 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

I usually don´t like Cronenberg movies, and this one was no exception. Completely ameturish:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076590/

Yeah I'm not a huge fan either, especially of his earlier works. I'm watched this, The Brood, Shivers and Scanners and I didn't care for any of them.

He's made some really good movies after all of those though including The Fly, Videodrome and also A History of Violence and Eastern Promises, both of which are really good crime films. 

Edited by adg211288 - 22 May 2022 at 3:20pm
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2022 at 3:24pm

The underrated one and where the series should have ended. 

I haven't seen the new Scream (and it's fucking dumb it's just called Scream and not Scream 5), but the most I remember of Scream 4 is how much it sucked. 

I will probably Watch Scream 2022 eventually but I have zero expectations. But since they're going whole hog with a Scream 6 already I'm going to say it now: the identity of Ghostface in Scream 6 should be Sidney Prescott.
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2022 at 10:03pm
Mixed feelings on this one. I like Tom Holland, and Michael Keaton was an excellent villain, but I found the overall tone of the movie to be somewhat annoying, and man, Ned was just unbelievably annoying, and some of the comedy was just dreadful. I really don't get my sense of humor sometimes, because I find a lot of the Avengers humor funny, and I clearly love Guardians of the Galaxy humor, but then stuff like this and Ant-Man comes around and just drive me insane, lol The movie itself was still decent enough, with some good action and I like this version of Peter a lot so far, but the school parts are not impressing me at all.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 4:36am
^ I actually liked that one better on the second watch. I was a bit disappointed the first time around, especially given the hype. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 4:43am
Columbia Noir 4 Disc 4: A Bullet is Waiting

This isn't an especially great film, but it is an oddball in the Columbia Noir series since its the first and only film in colour and in truth is actually more of a neo-western, especially in setting. 

And the Three Stooges:

Okay, this is a rare instance of a Stooges short which has aged so badly that it actually got banned from reruns. It's not paired overly well with the feature either beyond each having a remote setting, and it's a surprise Indicator picked this for the Columbia Noir series given its content. The first half is pretty standard Stooges slapstick but it culminates in them murdering Japanese-Americans who have escaped from the US 'Relocation Centres' during World War II. 

Actually found this one really solid and fun. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 3:45pm

Okay so this actually went quite well. I do think you have to watch the longer version to get the most out of this movie though. 

Alien 3's biggest problem is the massive middle figure it gives to Aliens (a masterpiece that this doesn't get close to). But once you get past that, it's a solid film in its own right. The few shots of a CGI Alien are bloody awful though. 

Still a better film than Covenant though.

Didn't resonate as well as A View to a Kill did yesterday. I actually found it dragged a little and wasn't too impressed by Dalton as Bond. I know some rate Dalton highly and maybe he's better on his second and final one, but I found his performance here kinda soulless. 

There's a lot going on for a slow cinema film here. Quirky parts, emotional parts, and very light on dialogue not counting the screening of King Hu's Dragon Inn in the background. In fact over 40 minutes of the film have passed before anyone even speaks. There are supposed to be ghosts in it, but I'm left feeling unsure who the ghosts were supposed to be since it doesn't use any effects. In a way I think everyone in the film was a ghost of sorts, living but unseen. Anyway, this was really good. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

^ I actually liked that one better on the second watch. I was a bit disappointed the first time around, especially given the hype. 
I wouldn't say I was disappointed, since I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact nothing is likely to top the first two Tobey Maguire movies, at least for me. I'm actually at a bit of an awkward spot for my MCU run, though, which could derail it, because next is Ragnarok, which I fear will be even cringier than this was from what I've heard about it, then the second Ant-Man movie is two movies away, I think? (Is that one skippable, btw? I will watch Ragnarok and hope for the best, since I'm invested in Thor at this point, but I really couldn't care less about Ant-Man, so unless it's super important, I may just skip it for now, lol)
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 7:08pm

Alien 3's biggest problem is the massive middle figure it gives to Aliens (a masterpiece that this doesn't get close to).

that's actually the best thing about the movie, after the massive middle finger Aliens was to Alien
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 9:13pm

"I even named them Des and Troy. You see, when you put them together..... They destroy!" LOL 

And once again, my sense of humor continues to be confusing, because this was actually one of my favorites so far, easily the best Thor movie. I found the Grandmaster annoying, but everything else was near perfect (especially Skurge and his cheesy one liners, LOL) 
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2022 at 3:33am
Glad you enjoyed it Travis. I've somehow only seen Ragnarok once, but it easily ranks among my top MCU movies. Thor works so much better as a less serious character. 

I have a massive hype for the fourth one coming out this year. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2022 at 3:36am
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Alien 3's biggest problem is the massive middle figure it gives to Aliens (a masterpiece that this doesn't get close to).

that's actually the best thing about the movie, after the massive middle finger Aliens was to Alien

Okay, I'll bite. Exactly how does Aliens give a middle figure to the first one?

To me, it's pretty much the perfect sequel. It does zero harm to the first movie's plot (unlike Alien 3 which makes everything Ripley does for Newt worthless) and doesn't try to completely emulate its style, making it a rare case where a sequel is not a total rehash. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2022 at 9:16am

I don't explicitly hate this, but out of all the Alien films outside of the crossovers with Predator, it does feel the most unnecessary. Okay so you could say the same about the prequels as well, but for however much the prequels lost their way in Covenant they at least set out to tell a different chapter of the Alien universe. This is pretty much just the fourth film of a trilogy. And I really hate the final alien and its whole puppy dog eyes thing going on. 
GG2U

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 224225226227228 256>
  Share Topic