Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recently Watched Films

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 207208209210211 256>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2022 at 10:09am

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2022 at 2:20pm

Technically classed as a slasher but has a lot in common with the Italian giallo movies of the day. I really dug this one. 

This one was merely okay as far as 80's slashers go. I've seen this one credited as doing the genre through a feminine lens (opposed to the so called male gaze), but at least the early sequences before the bloodbath starts were still full of lingering gratuitous shots of all the girls. So I guess I just don't understand the politics of all those criticisms the horror genre gets for films like this. 

And Disc 2 of the Louis Malle set:

The Lovers (1958). Out of ten films in what looks to be quite an eclectic boxset, this second film looked like it may be the least interesting (for me). A romantic drama. Turns out like you can't judge a book by its cover you can't judge a film by its genre. This was really quite compelling. The film also provided another example of just how different French film of the day was to the US one which basically had a ball and chain tied to one leg in the form of the Hays Code. This is the first and only film of the 1950s I've seen tits in. Released two years before censors infamously gave Hitchcock a hard time just showing a man and woman in bed together in Psycho. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2022 at 9:13pm
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 12:37am
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 2:29pm

Lacks the charm and style of my favourite vampire films, but it's not a bad venture. 

This one wasn't too bad either, as far as these Shudder exclusives go. The title works on two levels, one of them being that the movie takes place during a blackout. 

Major WTF movie. But I think I may be done giving director Sion Sono's films a shot. While obviously technically accomplished and capable of mashing a multitude of genres together into a package that's surprisingly cohesive, his films tend to end up either annoying me in some manner or disgusting me with how he can't seem to make a film without putting something perverted in it. He did at least make a balancing point with this one that did make me say 'oh' at the end, but the film still feels unnecessarily gratuitous. I get that the actresses in the film were probably actually of legal age (at least I hope they were, but I don't know what Japan's standard is compared to the western world), but when they're portraying school children, this just ends up one big NO. Still, at least it's not on Love Exposure's level. 

Second watch of this Argentinian/Spanish anthology gem.  You need to have a bit of warped sense of humour like me, but I think this is hilarious. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2022 at 3:01am

Meh. Bratty kids, dumb plot and Cage being Cage.
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2022 at 2:14pm

This one is over five hours long, so I watched it in chunks. I kinda wish I could have taken the whole thing in during a single sitting though. Wonderful movie. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2022 at 4:31pm

Double meh. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 4:19pm

I don't like spiders so I was of two minds to even try this one, but it has decent ratings so I took a gamble. It's not a bad movie (indeed, too many actual spiders for me), but I don't think I'd watch it again.

Meh, yet again. I think this Shudder sub has about run its course. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2022 at 3:05am

If you don't mind seeing a hairy punker called Fat mike in a dress, this is a mostly fun documentary. There's a bit of dark shit there, but the music is pretty fucking good.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2022 at 6:29pm

Stephen King adaptations can be a bit hit and miss. This one is mostly hit. Max Von Sydow is excellent as Leland Gaunt. Ed Harris and J.T. Walsh put in pretty good shows too.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 2:22am

Don't shoot up bug powder... I really want to read this book now, because that was just fucking insane!
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 5:07pm
Bit behind on posting here:

Another Jack Hill film. Tarantino credits this one as a big influence on him and you can definitely see it in his more grindhousy stuff. 

What starts as a fairly standard British gangster movie soon takes a turn towards the strange and surreal. A weird but good one. 

Something more watchable found on Shudder. 

Another long one, though not as long as Happy Hour (still over 3 hours long). Like that last one, I watched this in a few chunks, though I'd have liked to have done it in one. Very compelling drama from Turkey. 

Set in 1750, this is kind of a western although far removed from the typical ones set later and is much more the folk horror movie. I can't help but imagine that this may have been an influence on Eggers' The Witch. The film is brought down by dated low budget effects, but the atmosphere is good. 

English title: Zazie in the Metro. Spoiler alert: Zazie never enters the Metro in the entire film. This is the third disc in my Louis Malle boxset and it's a massive change of pace from the first two films. It's absurd and slapstick as hell. Just totally whack from start to finish. 

Watched while going through the parent sitcom again. The film has continuity errors with the series and isn't its finest hour, but it's good fun and keeps the same spirit alive. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 7:15pm

not my favourite, might have liked the theatrical version better

this, on the other hand, is a masterpiece
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 11:41pm

B-movie brilliance!
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2022 at 1:44am

Louis Malle disc 4: The Fire Within. This one is often rated as one of Malle's best films but while it's a solid psychological drama that really gets you thinking, it didn't do as much for me as others in the set. Honestly this movie could make you as depressed as the protagonist. 

A disturbing movie, even more so because this all really happened. The movie itself though managed to be somehow uncompelling. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2022 at 11:40pm

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2022 at 2:04am
I thought I'd seen this, but turns out I hadn't. Love the gunslinging martial arts.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2022 at 1:40pm

I find it hard to say if this was a good film or not: this had to be the worst film quality I've seen this side of pirate VHS. 

Not too bad. Good tension. Better than a lot of what Shudder has served up. 

Disc 5 of the Louis Malle boxset. Like The Lovers (disc 2), I wasn't sure if I'd dig this one but Malle does seem to have a way of making a compelling drama. This one is a coming of age tale (complicated by the titular heart murmur), but it ends up more disturbing than you'd expect. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2022 at 4:25pm

Nice period setting and okay atmosphere, but ultimately pretty dull and ineffective. 

Edited by adg211288 - 28 Jan 2022 at 4:26pm
GG2U

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 207208209210211 256>
  Share Topic