Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recently Watched Films

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 205206207208209 256>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2022 at 1:03pm
^Yeah I´m sure you are right, and that´s what makes it so great Wacko...and scary Unhappy....but also pretty funny Cool. "She´s gonna come back"..."She´s gonna come back" he he that´s brilliant. I love the closing scene too.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2022 at 3:38pm

Mixed feelings on this one. It's intriguing enough, has some good scenes too, but overall I spent most of the movie with my attention wandering. 

Robert Altman impressing as usual. I never know what I'm going to see when I pick one of his films to watch for the first time. I've yet to see a bad one from him or two that are completely alike even if they technically share a genre. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2022 at 6:35pm

What a movie! I can see why it's so highly rated. Bette Davis and Anne Baxter are excellent. There's also a young Marilyn Monroe in a bit part, but even then it was obvious she was destined for bigger things.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2022 at 9:20pm

Didn't know what to expect from this, but it's excellent. I didn't realise it was Natalie Portman's first movie either.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2022 at 9:43am
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2022 at 1:09pm

This having its 20th anniversary last year makes me feel old. Been a while since I watched it. It's probably my favourite one of the three. 

Oh boy where do I even fucking begin with this one? A contender for the most absurd movie I've ever seen. It's part Mad Max, part Western, part Samurai and 100% off the wall. I feel like it should be crazy good with that genre mix but it's really just crazy... meh, I guess. A movie that simply, exists. I feel like it should have been completely played for comedy and then it might have worked better. Instead it feels like a silly film that seems to want you to take it seriously, which is impossible. I don't expect much of this one will have stuck with me a few weeks down the line, except that one memorable scene where Nic Cage gets his testicle blown off. 

I've struggled with director Sion Sono's work before, and I guess this one was at least watchable in a turn your brain off kind of way without being too problematic (one has to raise an eyebrow at this Japanese directed, Japan set film where the leaders of all factions seen are all white dudes, as is the unnamed Hero). I guess I'll take this over Love Exposure any day of the week. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2022 at 3:50pm

A Quiet Place was the sort of movie where it kinda felt like they couldn't pull off the same thing twice, but they actually managed it with this. Enough of the first movie's style with some reinvention of the formula including more dialogue and action. The opening scene set on Day 1 is excellent. Arguably the movie peaks too early there, but it remains enjoyable with some really tense encounters. In this one, humans also pose a threat to the family, not just the aliens. Like with the first one, the adult actors get upstaged by the kids. If there's a complaint about the film its that the end is extremely abrupt. There's obviously supposed to be a third part to follow, which doesn't seem to have been greenlit yet (if you Google A Quiet Place Part III all you seem to get is talk of a spin-off movie, not a sequel), which is slightly concerning given the ending. They really can't leave it here...
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2022 at 7:51pm

No wonder this one did so well. It's my favourite too. Love the digger on the train and motorbike chase scene.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2022 at 12:10am

I thought I'd seen this, but I'm not sure I had... Anyway, I have now. All good clean fun.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2022 at 3:14am

Watched this thinking it was the TV series, but it's actually the movie version. Anyway, funny as fuck! Loretta Swit as US president, Peter Cook as British Prime Minister, Michael Richards as a global terrorist, and best of all Rik Mayall as a sweary SAS commander.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2022 at 11:03am

Always thought this was the weakest of the trilogy, though weak isn't really a word that should be used to describe the series. I'd still rate it a 5/5. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2022 at 3:22pm

The Invisible Man gets a modern update. While the 1933 film was considered to be part of Universal's Monsters franchise, it sits most firmly in the science fiction realm than horror. This, in spite of being more high tech, really ramps up the horror of The Invisible Man, as he unleashes a stream of psychological torment on the woman he was abusive to who ran away from him. 

And that restaurant scene... Shocked
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2022 at 8:03pm

I really hated this
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2022 at 8:36pm

(Used this picture because it's got the Aston Martin in it, and the release date is woefully wrong!) But anyway... Not a typical Bond movie at all. Except for the mad plots, the evil geniuses trying to destroy the world, the insane stunts, and the wacky gadgets. But besides all that, this is a Bond who's still effortlessly cool, but more vulnerable than he's ever been before. A great place for Daniel Craig to end his run.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2022 at 8:41pm
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Mad Max Fury Road

I really hated this

Finally, my friend and I aren't alone. Actually the worst movie I've ever seen.
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2022 at 9:35pm
I love all 3 actual Mad Max movies but this one is literally just CGI and weird sped up shots for 2 hours straight.  The score is really bad.  And the guitar guy doesn't even know how to play guitar!
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2022 at 9:57pm
Yeah, exactly. Even ignoring the complete lack of a plot or characters, the action is terrible. Were they trying to go for some weird reverse bullet time with the random speeding up and slowing down of shots? It's so bad and disorienting.
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2022 at 1:31am

Dumb but fun. A great cast, and some really funny set-pieces with a pretty decent rocking soundtrack.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2022 at 4:09pm

As with a lot of these old silent films, it's overly melodramatic and the story is none too complex, but I love the look of this movie. All done on the cheap, so some of the sets are just painted paper, and electricity was rationed too. Some people consider this the first horror movie ever made.

Edited by Vim Fuego - 08 Jan 2022 at 4:11pm
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2022 at 4:19pm

And so the six day revisit to Middle-Earth concludes with Return of the King in all its extended four hour glory. Loved going through these again, but due to length it probably will be a while before they get another airing. 

Not the best anime I've ever seen, but pretty intriguing. Bleaker than anticipated as well. The end is pretty shocking. 
GG2U

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 205206207208209 256>
  Share Topic