Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recently Watched Films

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 178179180181182 256>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Grunge/Post-grunge & Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BitterJalapeno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2021 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

Okay, this is the third Wes Anderson film I've seen and the third that's been bloody brilliant. I'm going to have to pay more attention to this director. 

Yeah, it's brilliant this one. Have you seen The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou? I would recommend it if you liked this.

No not yet. The other two I've seen are The Grand Budapest Hotel and Isle of Dogs. I have The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou lined up on Disney+ to watch. They have quite a few Andersons on there. 

If you're exploring Wes Anderson, I'd recommend The Darjeeling Limited.
Star baby, did you deep fry a piece of the Great Barrier Reef?
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2021 at 6:13pm

Meh. Didn't like. My brother and his missus are in a production of this next month, which I'll be obliged to go and see (I'm a life member of the theatre group, so I don't get much choice!), and hopefully it'll be a bit better than this. There's some great songs, and the retelling of Romeo and Juliet is a decent enough idea, but I just don't like this musical. And some of the men's singing is absolutely dreadful. Yes, I know it's 60 years old, and recorded on the best technology available at the time, but a lot of it is just flat and off key.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 6:59am

They it is fast becoming a cult classic. I say it's just another poor modern horror film. More watchable than most though, but it peaks with its incredibly atmospheric intro and goes downhill from there. It's also nearly 2 hours 20 minutes long, which feels unnecessary. Passable at most with a ton of missed potential. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 7:01am
Originally posted by BitterJalapeno BitterJalapeno wrote:

Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

Okay, this is the third Wes Anderson film I've seen and the third that's been bloody brilliant. I'm going to have to pay more attention to this director. 

Yeah, it's brilliant this one. Have you seen The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou? I would recommend it if you liked this.

No not yet. The other two I've seen are The Grand Budapest Hotel and Isle of Dogs. I have The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou lined up on Disney+ to watch. They have quite a few Andersons on there. 

If you're exploring Wes Anderson, I'd recommend The Darjeeling Limited.

Also lined up. Disney+ is really good for Wes Anderson films. I have Rushmore, Darjeeling and Life Aquatic all lined up plus Fantastic Mr. Fox on either Netflix or Prime. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 12:47pm

I love the convoluted, silly plots to the Jack Reacher books, but they don't necessarily transfer well to film. They did a reasonable job here though. Tom Cruise is still far too small to be a convincing Reacher, but all the other elements aren't far off. Lots of ass kicking, lots of connecting the seemingly unconnected dots, lots of bending the law past snapping point but still getting away with it... Didn't do well when it was released. I don't care. I liked it.
Archisorcerus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 3:11am
Ripley's Game (2002) - Unusual and interesting. IDK why so many things released in that year appeal to me in mysterious ways. I''ve not been hunting for the stuff from that year purposedly, but I may do so from this day forth. Gosh. 8/10

Angels & Demons (2009) - I think they were too complacent with having the audacity to do a mainstream film about Illuminati. I got interested in it also because its duration is very long, so that its plot could be quite labyrinthine. But, alas... I had to stop watching after an hour and forty-four minutes. I didn't want to waste more of my time. 3/10

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 4:32pm

More what I expect from Bond after Live and Let Die, though two movies in I can't say I feel very warm toward Moore in the role. Overall it's a solid movie though, but with some issues that keep it from being great, including the Bond Girl simply being the textbook dumb blonde. It's biggest draw is Christopher Lee as the villain. 

Re-watch. This is the kind of movie where once you know how it ends, you spot the hints you missed throughout the first time. It doesn't lose anything though by knowing what's actually happening. Quite the underrated gem IMO. I could comfortably include this among my favourite horror movies of all time. 
GG2U

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 5:54pm
Taking Lives (2004)
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2021 at 12:10pm

Second watch of this early gem from Park Chan-Wook of Oldboy fame. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2021 at 4:08pm

Another Park Chan-Wook re-watch, though this time it's a rare English language film. It's a solid mystery/psych thriller, but doesn't hold up to his Korean films. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 12:37am

A bit slow to get going, but reasonably good. The story is a bit silly, but the action is good. Donald Sutherland and Jenny Agutter are excellent, as is Larry Hagman as a washed up wannabe military hero.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 2:37am

I haven't watched a Marx brothers movie for years. 85 years on it's still hilarious in parts. And the three of them so multi-talented. I never quite realised how good they were.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 8:34am
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 3:59pm

Re-watch. This is an excellent atmospheric sci-fi, which strays into quite extreme territory sometimes that earns it an 18 rating in the UK. Impressive space effects that are scientifically accurate to our current understanding, including a bloody spaghettification. A must watch film, for my money. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 4:49pm
Sounds like my sort of thing.Smile
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2021 at 2:46pm
A few more re-watches today:

Third time on this one. Just managed to score a copy of the Arrow Video blu-ray after it being apparently out of print for a while. Easily one of my favourite vampire movies. 

Fun as ever. 

Also my third time on this one. Wanted to see if it would still hold up. It does. A very underappreciated comedy. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2021 at 8:41am

Didn't enjoy this one as much as the other Wes Anderson's I've seen so far, but still very good and Bill Murray is a treat as always. 

Long overdue re-watch of this one since when I first watched this it was quite late at night and I was getting sleepy come the end and I think I missed a lot that I didn't realise before. This is a masterpiece. 
GG2U

Archisorcerus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2021 at 8:51am

Tolerable and moderately entertaining at best. 6/10
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2021 at 1:20am

Funny as fuck! Boyscouts. Zombies. Strippers. Zombie boobs. Gardening tools. Zombie penis (really funny, rather than disturbing like it might seem).
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2021 at 1:27am

Must be at least the fourth time I've watched this one. 
GG2U

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 178179180181182 256>
  Share Topic