Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recently Watched Films

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 174175176177178 256>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2021 at 5:48am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

My original experience of 2001 put me off ever reading the books. I had all four. They sat around for years and I eventually sold them last year, at the time actively planning never to watch the movie again. 

I gotta admit I resorted to audiobooks for the third and fourth ones.Wink
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2021 at 12:31pm
I might see if I can find summaries online. 

Third time seeing this one. It was my first Bogart movie and endures as one of my favourites even have three watches. It's a classic in every sense of the word. And some random trivia you may not know: the Maltese Falcon statue used in the film is today owned by Leonardo DiCaprio, who apparently paid over $300000 for it. It makes an appearance in Quentin Tarantino's Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, courtesy of DiCaprio. 

I've just upgraded the movie to blu-ray along with some other favourites (cannot get The Big Sleep for love nor money though), which mostly means Bogart movies and a few others of the era. Including this next one which despite being one of the four paired with Lauren Bacall, I don't believe is so well known:

This is one of the few movies of the era to hold a 15 rating in the UK in modern times (almost all movies are either U or PG, with a few 12's), others being Fritz Lang's The Big Heat and the original 1930s version of Scarface. Seems tame by modern standards to me, but it is perhaps a little more daring for the time. This one isn't as classic as some Bogart movies and if playing the ranking game it's probably the least essential of the Bogart/Bacall films, but I think it's pretty good and does some unusual stuff for the time, pointing first person POV for the lead for the first part of the movie. It seems unusual for a Hollywood picture to hide it's lead actor's face for so long (it has plot reasons for doing so, I'm just surprised they went for it).
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Archisorcerus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2021 at 1:32pm

Copy-paste from my post on ProgArchives (I'll provide original content here in the future, for sure.)

Time Trap (2017)

Pretty awesome low-budget sci-fi flick. Some say bad acting (characters), I say there are people in real life that "behave" that way. Some say begins bad, gets better; I say it is a "normal" thing that things get more thrilling as you get further in an adventure.

Bizarre and inventive

9/10

Edited by Aensorcelar - 25 Jun 2021 at 1:33pm
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2021 at 7:29am

Pretty good. For me much more period drama than horror though. Set and filmed on location in my neck of the woods as well. There aren't many movies around where I can see a place and say 'I've been there'.

Expected to like this one a lot more. Instead it fell completely flat and bored me to tears. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2021 at 6:02pm
Hadn't seen this in years. It's somewhat forgotten as a Vietnam War film because of it's more famous contemporaries in Platoon and Full Metal Jacket, which is a shame. It really demonstrates how frustrating and futile the war actually was, and also deals with the heavy concepts of race relations and anti-war sentiment back in the US. Stars pre-fame Don Cheadle, Dylan McDermott, and Michael Boatman.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2021 at 6:04pm

Pretty good. For me much more period drama than horror though. Set and filmed on location in my neck of the woods as well. There aren't many movies around where I can see a place and say 'I've been there'.

The Cathedral song inspired me to check this out, but it's quite different to what I thought. Love Vincent Price in what ever he starred in.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2021 at 10:16pm
Staying reasonably dark with Dalton. He didn't seem to have the knack or comic timing for the one-liners that Moore and Connery did, which makes him a more brooding and less likeable Bond. Still, the action sequences still stack up (lots of exploding petrol tankers!). I would have liked a few more Dalton films, but apparently no one else did.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2021 at 11:42pm

Watchable and that's about it. More of a family drama than a western as it is billed, which isn't a problem in and of itself, but it also feels like several important things are missing from the movie. The plot basically rests on the fact the family's ranch is threatened by a big cat and them having different ideas about what to do about it. 

Main problem: You never see the panther, even once. Only hear a few sound effects. 

Stunning shot film noir. Often held up as one the best, but for some reason this movie was completely blank in my mind even though this was my second watch and barely anything about it rung a bell all the way through. Watching it I'd call it a great film, but lets see if it manages to stick with me this time. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2021 at 1:38am
Amazing movie. I've seen the 1979 TV movie version, but it seems so limp and sanitised compared to this original. Brutal, moving, though-provoking, deserving of the 1930 Best Picture Oscar.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2021 at 1:33am

A bit slow paced but solid neo-noir. 

One of my all time favourites. Third time I've watched it, but first on blu-ray. 

Finally saw it.

Still don't know what the fuck I watched though. Confused
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2021 at 1:50am

Finally saw it.

I have a 2 disc DVD I have never got round to watching. I have also read the book, which is quite short and just as bewildering.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2021 at 9:56am

RYM Satire time. Haven't done one of these for a while.

To Have and Have Not: World War II, Fort-de-France, French colony of Martinique, controlled by Vichy France, an ally of Nazi Germany. A fishing captain is approached to aide the French Resistance. 

RYM Genre Police: This is not a war film. It's a romantic drama. 

In actuality terming To Have and Have Not as a romantic drama, like Casablanca before it (the two films makes a fine unofficial pairing both in theme and male lead), does it a disservice. Even more so than with Casablanca, any romantic plot plays second fiddle to the actual plot outlined above, in the way many stories that don't belong to the romance genre have love interests. I wonder if the fact that Bogart and Bacall actually became involved and got married after meeting on the set of this film has altered perception of what it actually is. Not quite as classic as Casablanca, but very worthy follow-up viewing. 
GG2U

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2021 at 11:14am
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

Finally saw it.

I have a 2 disc DVD I have never got round to watching. I have also read the book, which is quite short and just as bewildering.

The book is a hard read (especially for us second language English readers/speakers). It´s not always obvious what the sentences mean because of all the odd slang words thrown in. I had to constantly check the word explanations in the back of the book.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2021 at 12:24pm
Yeah, don't think I'm going to bother with the book. Don't see the film as a common re-watcher either, but I'm glad to have finally seen it. Bit of a jump for Kubrick to go from 2001 to this eh? 

Neither is my favourite Kubrick movie, that's probably The Shining even though I originally didn't like it for book reasons. Still have a few of his to see including Barry Lyndon which I have ready to go. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2021 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

Finally saw it.

The book is a hard read (especially for us second language English readers/speakers). It´s not always obvious what the sentences mean because of all the odd slang words thrown in. I had to constantly check the word explanations in the back of the book.

It's not always obvious for those of us with English as a first language!LOL A lot of the slang terms were Anglicized Russian words, or completely made up.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2021 at 12:28pm
A kung-fu movie for when you don't really want to watch a kung-fu  movie. Big dumb fun.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2021 at 2:44pm

A kung-fu movie for when you don't really want to watch a kung-fu  movie. Big dumb fun.

I watched this a hundred times as a child and loved it. Re-watched it a couple of years ago, and it´s still great fun...
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2021 at 2:53am
Semi-silent slapstick comedy about two hapless builders buying a plank. Simple as that.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2021 at 3:16am
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

I watched this a hundred times as a child and loved it. Re-watched it a couple of years ago, and it´s still great fun...

Only seen it once myself and not until 2018. John Carpenter is among my favourite filmmakers so I really must watch it again. 
GG2U

666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2021 at 6:42am

One of the few old classic movies I have actually seen before, but I'd glad to see it again. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 174175176177178 256>
  Share Topic