Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recently Watched Films

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 133134135136137 256>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2020 at 8:14am
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 8:20am
Done a few more out of my Hitchcock boxset that I've been working my way through for ages:

Marnie's a solid film though far from top tier Hitchcock. There's a few things about how Connery's character behaves that feel really awkward in 2020, though not as much as Jimmy Stewart's in Vertigo. 

Torn Curtain on the other hand I was hoping would open up on a second viewing, but it just felt like even more of a snoozefest and I ended up only idly watching it while gaming at the same time. Such a shame that Hitchcock's only film with Paul Newman (one of my favourite actors of that time) is such a bore.

Topaz is the only one from this set I hadn't seen before and I found it an improvement on Torn Curtain even though many seem to say that this is an even worse film. It's a bit slow and far from the best work of Hitchcock but it's good and has some decent sequences that throwback to why he was called the master of suspense. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 4:25pm

I am seriously considering starting a satire thread on RYM. Those guys are real nuts sometimes. Entry for this movie would be:

In This Corner of the World, set in Japan, primarily during the final years of World War 2, featuring characters constantly under threat of air raids, deals with the unimagining hardship that innocent people went through during that time including families being ripped apart (right up to the loss of a child due to an unexploded bomb) and climaxes with the dropping of the atomic bombs Hiroshima and Nagasaki and their aftermath on the characters.

RYM (in full genre police regalia blowing a whistle and pointing an accusatory finger): This is not a war film. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2020 at 9:22am

Pretty damn weird, but more compelling than many weird films are. Not one to re-watch often though. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2020 at 1:06pm
I've set myself a little Halloween challenge of watching one horror movie a day from a pre-set list. Some of the list are actually giallo, but close enough eh? So Day 1 & 2's movies were:

GG2U

TheHeavyMetalCat View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Black and Death Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHeavyMetalCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2020 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

I am seriously considering starting a satire thread on RYM. Those guys are real nuts sometimes. Entry for this movie would be:

In This Corner of the World, set in Japan, primarily during the final years of World War 2, featuring characters constantly under threat of air raids, deals with the unimagining hardship that innocent people went through during that time including families being ripped apart (right up to the loss of a child due to an unexploded bomb) and climaxes with the dropping of the atomic bombs Hiroshima and Nagasaki and their aftermath on the characters.

RYM (in full genre police regalia blowing a whistle and pointing an accusatory finger): This is not a war film. 

LOL

An RYM satire thread is probably out of line but could be so funny.

This is a great anime movie. A great war anime movie. A definite spiritual kinship to Grave of the Fireflies.

Edited by TheHeavyMetalCat - 02 Oct 2020 at 2:57pm
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2020 at 9:48pm
Luccello dalle piume di cristallo (1970)

great creepy atmosphere 

Edited by Triceratopsoil - 02 Oct 2020 at 9:49pm
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2020 at 10:49pm
Creepy, campy, a little bit sexy, and darkly funny. Nothing like a bit of Vincent Price for a Saturday afternoon!
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 12:14am
Sorcerer (1977)
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 3:34am

Reasonable decent South Korean movie. A little dragged out I thought and could have been more compelling with some editing down, but overall good. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 11:52am
Day 3 of my 31 days of horror re-watch project, which also finishes up my Argento blu-ray re-watch project:

GG2U

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 3:59pm
I liked this one. Lite entertainment, but that´s alright sometimes:
Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga Poster
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 12:49pm
Days 4 & 5 on my 31 days of horror project:

I thought that Hereditary was better on the second watch but Midsommar dragged out a little, but I do have the near three hour long directors cut version of it. 

New films seen:

A lesser giallo. It's biggest issue is that it reveals the killer before even half way into the movie, which destroys all the mystery. It still had a twist to come, but this is far below the usual grade for the genre.

Better than some claim it to be, felt a bit Hitchcockian to me and in some ways could be seen as exploring ideas similar to Rope. 

This rather well known Yakuza movie was surprising, in that after a while much of the film devolves into the gangsters just goofing around at the beach. It was good, just not as expected. But that may be why its good. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 4:29pm

Well that movie was just completely batshit insane. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 9:16am
My one a day horror re-watch project continues:

Some of this lot, The Girl Who Knew Too Much especially, are technically giallo rather than horror, but they have some ties to the genre to fit the Halloween marathon I've got going on. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 10:24am
Next two days of the horror re-watch project:

Surprised that I'm managing to keep this project up. I don't normally re-watch so many movies in such quick succession. 

New films seen recently:

An OK Japanese B movie. 

An early Brian de Palma with Robert de Niro. Unfortunately it was crap. 

Pretty good comedy movie, but it ended so abruptly that I'm left feeling that the last half hour of the movie is missing. 
GG2U

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 3:21pm
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 12:29pm
Horror re-watch project day 12:

Watched as one long movie with only minimal breaks for the bathroom and to prep lunch. Honestly a bit of a slog to do (can't see it happening ever again). Chapter Two was never as good as the first one and I didn't feel that held up to a second viewing as well as expected. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 9:29am
Where Does a Body End? (2019)
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 1:50am
Horror re-watch project continues, I haven't dropped it yet:

Plus one non-horror re-watch:

New movie intake is slower right now, but here's a few I've seen recently:

GG2U

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 133134135136137 256>
  Share Topic