Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recently Watched Films

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 117118119120121 256>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2020 at 9:27am
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2020 at 1:25am
I haven't been posting every movie here lately but I have gradually been working my way through the Studio Ghibli films on Netflix plus one on blu-ray. The ones I've watched recently are:

Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2020 at 12:49pm

Better than expected actually. At least more worthwhile than the remake movie. 
GG2U

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2020 at 2:28pm
Yes mother...
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2020 at 2:31pm
Actually, I've been listening to a bit of Acid Reign in the past few days. Their song Motherly Love is all about Norman Bates.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2020 at 3:16pm

I actually think all three of these movies were better on second viewing, with Oldboy still the main standout. Love the Arrow Video covers too. Clap
GG2U

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2020 at 2:09am
^The vengeance trilogy is absolutely brilliant. It´s not only the twisted and quite unpleasant stories (which always leave me with a feeling like I´m watching something I shouldn´t), but how they are filmed is a stroke of brillance too. The colors and the settings are incredible...

...and I agree that Oldboy is probably the best of the three, but they are all brilliant.

Edited by UMUR - 18 Apr 2020 at 2:10am
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2020 at 2:34am
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

It´s not only the twisted and quite unpleasant stories (which always leave me with a feeling like I´m watching something I shouldn´t)

I get that feeling with most of the Korean cinema I've seen. Have you seen I Saw the Devil (2010) by Kim Jee-woon? I think that one may even one up these on the twisted front. 
GG2U

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2020 at 2:41am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

It´s not only the twisted and quite unpleasant stories (which always leave me with a feeling like I´m watching something I shouldn´t)

I get that feeling with most of the Korean cinema I've seen. Have you seen I Saw the Devil (2010) by Kim Jee-woon? I think that one may even one up these on the twisted front. 
No but it´s definitely on my list now.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2020 at 2:46am
It's a great but dark and twisted as hell movie. The bad guy is also played by Choi Min-sik who as you'll know is Oldboy's lead and was also in Lady Vengeance. The lead is played by Lee Byung-hun who has also been in a number of other Korean films I've really enjoyed, including A Bittersweet Life and The Good, The Bad, The Weird, both of which also come highly recommended. 

I'm hoping to eventually see Parasite before long. 
GG2U

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2020 at 2:57am

It's a great but dark and twisted as hell movie. The bad guy is also played by Choi Min-sik who as you'll know is Oldboy's lead and was also in Lady Vengeance. The lead is played by Lee Byung-hun who has also been in a number of other Korean films I've really enjoyed, including A Bittersweet Life and The Good, The Bad, The Weird, both of which also come highly recommended. 

I'm hoping to eventually see Parasite before long. 
Thanks I´ve made notes of all of the above.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2020 at 3:04am
Thumbs Up

One Korean film I still want to see is Memories of Murder. Unfortunately it does not appear to have ever been given a UK release. Maybe once the pandemic has calmed the success of Parasite may see it get issued here at last. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2020 at 12:28pm

Tried to introduce my Dad to this movie since A Fistful of Dollars is one of his favourite movies. Unfortunately I think because of that he was bias against this right from the start. Ouch

Love the Dollars Trilogy but personally I rank this movie over the spaghetti western remake. I think for me this is the pinnacle of the samurai movie. I know Seven Samurai is typically regarded higher but although brilliant with its length its quite a long winded movie. This one is packed into just under two hours and is tremendously entertaining from start to finish. Clap
GG2U

Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2020 at 12:46pm

I think for me this is the pinnacle of the samurai movie.

Not only that, but the pinnacle of film in general. North by Northwest is the only film I've seen that has even come close to matching this film's greatness, but even that is second to Yojimbo. I think this is the only movie that I've watched more than twice, it's honestly perfect in my eyes.

Does your Dad not like reading subtitles?
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2020 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by Unitron Unitron wrote:

I think for me this is the pinnacle of the samurai movie.

Not only that, but the pinnacle of film in general. North by Northwest is the only film I've seen that has even come close to matching this film's greatness, but even that is second to Yojimbo. I think this is the only movie that I've watched more than twice, it's honestly perfect in my eyes.

Does your Dad not like reading subtitles?

Subtitles aren't the issue, he actually likes to have them up on anything. But he does seem generally disinterested in anything I suggest to him out of Asian cinema. He only tried this one because it's what Fistful was ripped off from. It's a shame because there's some real gems I've seen out of Japan and South Korea (don't know much about other Asian cinema - yet). It's not a race thing, he'll watch a documentary about those countries and their culture and find it interesting, but he does seem to find the Asian languages grating. 

Each to their own I guess. I might be able to convert him with a newer Japanese movie because he doesn't tend to enjoy older movies anyway (despite growing up with a lot of them when they were first released to cinemas), but my selection of those is rather thin once I discount the anime, samurai, and horror/sci-fi stuff. 
GG2U

Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2020 at 1:39pm
I don't know what your idea of "newer" would be, but Postman Blues is an excellent Japanese black comedy from the late 90's. I highly recommend it if you haven't seen it yet.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2020 at 1:41pm
Never heard of it but I'll certainly keep an eye out. Love a bit of black comedy. Don't always find that comedy translates well with subtitles though. 
GG2U

Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2020 at 1:51pm
A lot of humor comes in the form of exaggerated expressions and ridiculous scenarios. There's more situational and over the top comedy than wordplay or spoken jokes.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2020 at 2:11pm
Sounds promising then though I had a look and unfortunately it doesn't look like it's ever been given a UK release. The only DVDs on Amazon are Spanish and German releases which do not have English subs. 

Edited by adg211288 - 20 Apr 2020 at 2:11pm
GG2U

Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2020 at 2:23pm
My friend and I watched it on some streaming site that had subtitles (Don't know how legal it was though). Sucks that there's no English subtitle DVD release, would've liked to own it myself. Is it on any definitely legal streaming services?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 117118119120121 256>
  Share Topic