Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recently Watched Films

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 115116117118119 256>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 10:41am

This film, for example! Excellent historic drama

For those interested, here's my list of good russian films: https://www.imdb.com/list/ls056018940/

Edited by Tupan - 24 Feb 2020 at 10:47am
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 12:27pm
^Great film, probably one of the best historical films I've seen. 
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2020 at 9:44am

80's comedy and early Tom Hanks role. The plot is a bit dumb and far fetched, but Hanks is good. 

My first 2020 movie and it's a weird as fuck one. I was engrossed by it but can't really make head to tail of what was real or what wasn't. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Tupan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 6:02am

Not only the best thing Eddie Murphy made in the last years, but probably this is one of his top 3 films! To be honest, all the cast is awesome - Wesley Snipes is specially funny here.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 12:59pm
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

I enjoyed this a little more but I'd still say it's not a great movie by any stretch of the imagination. It's also made in that same plodding along way as Solaris. Might be better drama if in English to be honest. These are the first times subtitled movies have made me wish that. I normally don't notice once a movie gets me engrossed within it. These just left me wondering why I wasn't just reading a book. #8 movie of all time on RYM? Fuck no. And considering that this was a movie I'd been excited to see for a long time now, I'm bitterly disappointed by it. 

Is this plodding pace and little plot a Russian thing? Or just this director? I don't think I'm going to touch any of this man's work ever again after these two. 

honestly my favourite movie of all time
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 11:46pm
So my question to you Colin is a simple one: why?
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 11:55pm

B Movie sci-fi horror. Very much a product of its time. 

This is one of the best DC movies I've watched. Such a different tone to most comic book movies (it really does feel as if it could have been a Scorsese movie) and Phoenix is brilliant. 

This is the first Conjuring Universe movie I've felt really sucked. Just, very, very boring from start to finish. At least The Nun had some real creepy atmosphere. 

Another great anime movie. Starting to run short on Netflix now, at least with the Studio Ghibli ones.

Another 80's very much a product of its time movie, but I found this animated anthology more entertaining that Galaxy of Terror. This was obviously the inspiration for Netflix's Love, Death & Robots series too. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2020 at 12:32am

I like the atmosphere and the mystery of it.  Not every detail in a story has to be handed to you on a plate.  I think it's more compelling if you have to make some assumptions on your own

also the cinematography is just fantastic
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2020 at 12:36am
Also the source material is a very good book, and I like Tarkovsky's total opposite approach to it (no explicit scifi/paranormal content)
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2020 at 3:14am
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

I like the atmosphere and the mystery of it.  Not every detail in a story has to be handed to you on a plate.  I think it's more compelling if you have to make some assumptions on your own

also the cinematography is just fantastic

I agree that it has a good atmosphere. It probably have looked better if the film has been in HD when I saw it. Unfortunately bugger all channels are in HD on Freesat. Price you pay for cheaper TV. I'd even agree that it has intrigue and mystery about it. I did keep watching it after all. 

My biggest issue with it is that it probably could have accomplished everything it did without losing a damn thing and comfortably shed an hour or more of the running time. It's over 2.5 hours long and that feels really unjustified to me. That the director pandered about with the shots, drawing them out far more than was necessary, instead of keeping the film moving. I do get that it is supposed to be contemplative, but personally I think it overdid it. For me it all proved more of a distraction than a complement to the narrative, which also made me constantly feel like I'd much rather read a book.
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2020 at 8:30am

Easily the darkest and most disturbing anime I've watched yet. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 5:58am

Pretty great. Sci-fi meets noir. 

Possibly the best anime movie I've watched yet. Surprisingly graphic on the blood details for an animated PG title (Japan, eh?). 
GG2U

Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2020 at 12:44am
Thanks to a new Cinemassacre video about his films, watched a few Jan Švankmajer short films. Absolutely amazing stop-motion, claymation, surrealism, and at times brutal absurdist comedy. Manly Games from 1988 is probably my favorite so far, both hilarious and disturbing, highly recommended to anyone who likes claymation and black comedy:

Tupan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2020 at 12:09pm

Excellent film, deserved all the hype. Not only a commentary about racism (and envy) but a damn good horror/thriller production.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2020 at 12:15pm
^ One of the few hyped movies I felt actually lived up to it. His next film Us was good too but I still prefer this one. 
GG2U

TheHeavyMetalCat View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Black and Death Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHeavyMetalCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2020 at 2:35pm

Possibly the best anime movie I've watched yet. Surprisingly graphic on the blood details for an animated PG title (Japan, eh?). 

Easily one of the best movies ever made.

Princess Mononoke is also much the same on the gore. Worse, actually, yet it's still a PG in spite of featuring graphic dismemberments. I don't think UK sensors really watched some of the Ghibli films that well.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 7:33am
^ Speaking of which:

Brilliant movie. 

Also I finally watched Jaws. 

Funnily enough this was released in 1975 and was the 1975th movie I ever watched. Not planned it that way at all, just completely random coincidence. 
GG2U

Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 5:41pm
Sonic the Hedgehog. I liked it! Looking forward to a sequel.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2020 at 11:18pm

Finally got around to watching this. I love the claustrophobic vibe that comes with everything taking place in one small area, makes it that much more suspenseful.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 115116117118119 256>
  Share Topic