Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recently Watched Films

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 105106107108109 256>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 11:40pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Crap.

Yeah another King story ruined on film. Out of the many, many stories of his which have been made into eitehr movies or TV-shows, only a small handful are worth watching.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 11:43pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Never seen it before, believe it or not. It proved an elusive one to find on DVD. Finally popped up on Netflix recently. Hoping they add the second one too soon. 

It probably felt a little "old" watching it the first time now, but I can assure you that watching this as a child in the eighties, was a pretty scary experience. It´s only as an adult I was able to fully grasp the time travelling concept and the scale of the impending apocalypse. I love this one. The sequel is great too, although they´ve turned the comedic element up a bit, which can be slightly annoying. I recommend staying away from the VERY long director´s cut, which is filled with unnessary scenes. The cinematic version is perfect as it is.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2019 at 11:21am
I liked the first part of the movie, right until the hero freed the heroine. It went South from there:

Clara Lago and Álex González in Órbita 9 (2017)
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 1:59pm
Nice post-apocalyptic sci-fi. I was pleasantly surprised:
Hilary Swank and Clara Rugaard in I Am Mother (2019)
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

Nice post-apocalyptic sci-fi. I was pleasantly surprised:
Hilary Swank and Clara Rugaard in I Am Mother (2019)

That robot looks like Chappie without the ears.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 2:16pm
^ I thought more if GLaDOS (from the Portal games) had legs.

Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2019 at 9:59am
I'm well behind on this again even though my intake of new movies has slowed since I hit 1500 total movies seen. This is my most recently posted Last 10 List Challenge, if you want to see posters. 

If you don't want use LC, the last full ten were:

The Haunting in Connecticut (2009)
Angel and the Badman (1947)
Stoker (2013)
Wise Blood (1979)
Hummingbird (2013)
Kill Katie Malone (2010)
Faust (1926)
Heathers (1988)
The Night of the Hunter (1955)
Day of Anger (1967)

Of these the two horror movies (Haunting and Katie Malone) were both pretty poor. I also wasn't too impressed by the John Wayne western Angel and the Badman - much more of a romance tale than his usual westerns. A weaker entry in his filmography IMO. I enjoyed the rest a lot, especially Day of Anger which is a Lee Van Cleef western that easily stands up to those of The Man With No Name films. I was a little dubious going into Heathers knowing it's 'teen movie' status (a genre that at 30 I try to avoid) but it's black comedy wins through IMO. Stoker by Park Chan-Wook (of Oldboy fame) was also a gem. 

I've seen more since these, plus re-watches, but I'll post with every ten from now on I think. 

Edited by adg211288 - 06 Jul 2019 at 10:00am
GG2U

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2019 at 10:53am
I enjoyed this one a lot. Definitely not another average slasher horror teenage movie:

The Cabin in the Woods (2011)
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2019 at 1:44pm

I enjoyed this one a lot. Definitely not another average slasher horror teenage movie:

The Cabin in the Woods (2011)

Yeah it's a pretty weird movie and not what you'd expect at all. I've only watched it the once but it's left a lasting impression.

The director's new film Bad Times at the El Royale is also very good, though obviously a completely different beast to this. I've already watched it twice. It's probably my favourite 2018 movie actually. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2019 at 5:16pm
My most recent ten first time watches: https://www.listchallenges.com/the-last-10-movies-adam-saw-for-the-first-time-40

The Friends of Eddie Cotle (1973)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
Nightmare Alley (1947)
Dog Soldiers (2002)
The Cook, The Thief, His Wife & Her Lover (1989)
Antichrist (2009)
A Walk Among the Tombstones (2014)
The Number 23 (2007)
The Iron Horse (1924)
Unknown (2011)

A fairly mixed bunch here. The two 70's movies were both excellent and I think I'm firmly in the camp of preferring that Body Snatchers. I did enjoy the 50s one as well though. Nightmare Alley is a great and very dark noir. The two Liam Neeson thrillers were both good, though I'd worked out the plot twist in Unknown quite a bit before it actually happened. The Cook, The Thief, His Wife & Her Lover is a pretty weird black comedy, while I'm still not sure what I watched in that Antichrist. Holy shit some of the things the woman does in that make Kathy Bates in Misery look like Florence Nightingale. Shocked Out of the rest Dog Soldiers was an entertaining enough werewolf movie, while The Number 23 started intriguing but gradually lost me. The Iron Horse was my first taste of a silent western and ultimately quite enjoyable, though maybe overlong. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 4:55pm
Last 10: https://www.listchallenges.com/the-last-10-movies-adam-saw-for-the-first-time-41

Terror in a Texas Town (1958)
Rififi (1955)
The Red Queen Kills Seven Times (1972)
Tenebre (1982)
Deep Red (1975)
Audition (1999)
Bicycle Thieves (1948)
They Came to Cordura (1959)
Howl (2015)
Wake in Fright (1971)
GG2U

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 1:57am
One of the better sci-fi movies I´ve seen in a while, although the plot was ultimately very familiar. The combination of real actors and animation Works really well. Visually it´s a beautiful film. I´m looking forward to the sequel:
Rosa Salazar in Alita: Battle Angel (2019)

Edited by UMUR - 14 Jul 2019 at 1:59am
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 1:25pm
Watched a fair bit this weekend. Another Last 10 already up: https://www.listchallenges.com/the-last-10-movies-adam-saw-for-the-first-time-42

Phenomena (1985)
Yellow Sky (1948)
Wonder Woman (2017)
Bad Lieutenant (1992)
Fury (1936)
Union Pacific (1939)
Cast a Long Shadow (1959)
Night and the City (1950)
Contagion (2011)
What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? (1962)

From these, Wonder Woman is the first of the current run of DC films that has kept me entertained throughout it's duration. 

Phenomena is a great giallo/horror plus it has an Iron Maiden song used twice in it. Tongue

Yellow Sky was the best of the westerns. Cast a Long Shadow was solid for the most part but like many movies of the time, it ended far too abruptly, feeling like a lot was left unresolved. 

Fury is another Fritz Lang and like most of his it's high quality. Had to watch this one through an internet upload though: not sure why this movie seems to have no official DVD or Blu-Ray release over here.

Weakest of the rest was Contagion, but I still enjoyed it to a certain degree. 
GG2U

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 10:36am
Pretty much as bad as its reputation, and I haven´t even read the comics, so I´m not biased:

Ultraviolet (2006)
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 10:38am
Damn this was the weirdest movie I´ve watched featuring Scarlett. I can´t say I enjoyed it. But dark and creepy it was:
Scarlett Johansson in Under the Skin (2013)
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 10:41am
This one was a home invasion movie masked as a sci-fi alien invasion movie, and it wasn´t that great. What I found most interesting about this film, was the adult version of Dakota Blue Richards, from The Golden Compass:
The Quiet Hour (2014)

Edited by UMUR - 21 Jul 2019 at 10:41am
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 10:44am
Some people enjoy this because of its intellectual and philosophical approach to Sci-fi...but me, ahhh I prefer more action and shots of the vastness of Space:
The Man from Earth (2007)
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 11:11am

Pretty much as bad as its reputation, and I haven´t even read the comics, so I´m not biased:

Ultraviolet (2006)

I had this years ago and never understood it. I always meant to watch it again once I was older but never did. At some point I got rid of the DVD. 
GG2U

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 11:37am
I really enjoyed this one. It´s apparently pretty low budget, but I found it both beautiful and thrilling:
Pedro Pascal, Jay Duplass, Sophie Thatcher, and Ben Little in Prospect (2018)
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 11:39am
Pretty nasty really, but somehow a bit fascinating too:
High Life (2018)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 105106107108109 256>
  Share Topic