Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recently Watched Films

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 104105106107108 256>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2019 at 2:20pm

Another bit of film history finally viewed. The silent format surprisingly works absolute wonders for this atmosphere in this one, even nearly a century later. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2019 at 12:33am

My Mother: What on Earth did you buy that for?

Me: Mum, I don't think this is the kind of movie you think it is.

Tongue

Seriously, it's bloody funny. 
GG2U

Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2019 at 4:22pm
^^ First saw the silent Nosferatu as a kid and thought it much scarier than any other Dracula/vampire type film I'd seen. The grainy black and white only added to the eeriness of it.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2019 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

And with that I set myself a new record: 100 movies in a single month. 

That's at least 3 a day! Have you given up work for a month Adam? LOL
666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2019 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

My Mother: What on Earth did you buy that for?

Me: Mum, I don't think this is the kind of movie you think it is.

Tongue

Seriously, it's bloody funny. 

I normally don't especially care for costume drama film or TV - it reminds me too much of the kind of things they make you learn in school. I loved this film though. 
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2019 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

^^ First saw the silent Nosferatu as a kid and thought it much scarier than any other Dracula/vampire type film I'd seen. The grainy black and white only added to the eeriness of it.

I watched a restored version with tinting. The picture quality was generally pretty great for such an old film. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2019 at 4:47pm
Weekend movie binge (first time viewings only):

Good military movie. 

Excellent neo-noir, quite a different take on the Philip Marlowe character than seen in earlier noirs like The Big Sleep with Bogart.

The third (but not actually the last) Mabuse movie as well as Fritz Lang's final film. While not as essential as the first two, it's still pretty good.

Solid Fritz Lang silent though with some significant film damage. Now the holder of the title of oldest film I've seen. 

Bogart's last film. A very good swansong. Actually for my money it's a more compelling boxing movie than Raging Bull. 

Very compelling Fritz Lang silent. The 2+ hour duration didn't drag in the least. 
GG2U

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2019 at 3:04pm
Hera Hilmar in Mortal Engines (2018)

This one was entertaining, but ultimately didn´t leave me especially impressed. CGI doesn´t make a movie. A good story and great acting are the basis, and then you go from there. The acting is decent here, but the story is pretty ridiculous...even for a sci-fi movie. I don´t enjoy the whole "custome ball" thing they have going on the London town. Reminds me of the capital in Hunger Games, which I also always found ridiculous and catering to a young and not so critical audience.

Edited by UMUR - 03 Jun 2019 at 11:37pm
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2019 at 10:58pm

Very intriguing movie about Hollywood. 

I didn't find it as great as it's reputation, but it was pretty solid. 

Could have stood to be a bit more gripping. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 1:24pm

Vastly underrated Fritz Lang noir. Easily on par with The Woman in the Window, Scarlet Street and The Big Heat. 

Very good war film.

Both parts. Very epic silent film on German mythology. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2019 at 5:29am

Going against popular opinion but I don't think this is a better 1920's silent horror than Nosferatu. It is good though. To me silent films are more like art than even the early sound movies. 
GG2U

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2019 at 3:42pm
This one somehow felt a Little unsatisfactory to me. It had its moments, but overall I´m not a huge fan. A liked both Unbreakable and Split better:

Samuel L. Jackson, Bruce Willis, and James McAvoy in Glass (2019)
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2019 at 4:00pm

Very good sci-fi thriller. 

Excellent 40's noirish psychological thriller. 

For a film where what we see never leaves an emergency services call centre, this is a surprising masterpiece in tension. It's absolutely disturbing, nerve-wracking and a late game plot twist visibly knocks the protagonist for six, and the audience with him. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 9:51am

Brilliant neo-noir with great atmospheric music. 

It's possible that this is an artful masterpiece I just didn't get but my impression is that it's the biggest load of shite I've seen since that time our toilet got blocked up and blew back who knows how many weeks worth of crap into the bathtub. Dead Sorry for the TMI, but I really can't recommend this one. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 12:14pm

Fritz Lang's final silent film and like Metropolis it's a sci-fi, this time dealing with space exploration. While there are some glaring scientific issues (such as there being oxygen on the moon!) this actually got a lot right in 1929. Not as essential viewing for the sci-fi fan as Metropolis, but worthwhile overall. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 3:12pm
Ten days behind on this again. Just going to list them.

Killer Elite (2011) - pretty solid.
The Old Man & The Gun (2018) - not as comedic as advertised, but a solid movie.
The Longest Day (1962) - great black and white war epic.
The Great Escape (1963) - great film but found the image quality really shitty. Seen better quality colour movies from the 40s.
Bandolero! (1968) - great western. More gritty than most James Stewart titles.
I Am Mother (2019) - Very solid Netflix sci-fi.
The Endless (2018) - I went back and forth a bit on being sold on it, but ultimately liked this one.
Down a Dark Hall (2018) - not as bad as it's made out to be by some. Not that great either. Just OK.
Uninhabited (2010) - Poor.
Free State of Jones (2016) - Excellent Civil War drama.
Into the Forest (2016) - Pretty solid stuff.
American Psycho (2000) - Can't believe I'd not seen this one before really. Disturbing yet very funny film.
Suicide Squad (2016) - Got bored after a while to be honest. 
Only Angels Have Wings (1939) - Great Howard Hawks movie. 
The Man Who Would Be King (1975) - Excellent John Huston movie. Never realised how good Michael Caine is at comedy.
Under Capricorn (1949) - Very different kind of movie for Hitchcock. Found it better than it's reputation.
Cube (1997) - a slow burn but enjoyed it in the end.
A Simple Favour (2018) - I loved this darkly comic thriller. More twisted beneath the surface than it may at first appear.
Blue Velvet (1986) - Excellent neo-noir. Not all movies that get called that really manage to carry off the vibe of original film noir. This does.
He's Out There (2018) - generic slasher. Not bad per se, just pointless.
Train to Busan (2016) - one of the best zombie movie's I've ever seen. 
Dead of Night (1945) - this old horror didn't do much for me.
Rim of the World (2019) - Predictable as hell. Finished it for the sake of finishing it. 
IO (2019) - Yawn. 
Widows (2018) - Great crime thriller. 

As of IO, I've reached a new milestone: 1500 total movies seen. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2019 at 12:57pm

I liked this one. I've not seen any of the other versions of the story. 

Surprisingly noir-like western. Has a narration, a femme-fatale who leads one of the main characters astray and everything. 

Also started my re-watch plans with a revisit of Blade Runner (final cut) and Bad Times at the El Royale. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2019 at 10:58am

Crap.
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2019 at 6:14am

Never seen it before, believe it or not. It proved an elusive one to find on DVD. Finally popped up on Netflix recently. Hoping they add the second one too soon. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 3:11pm

Dumb but fun comedy. 

The poster makes this movie appear like it's going to be psychedelic or something. It's not. A very slow post-apocalyptic drama that in no way reflects the poster above. It has Peter Dinklage though, so there's that at least. Not recommended though. 

It feels like they were attempting something in the same vein as The Shape of Water, but with much less success. 

The 1940's version is a top tier noir movie. This one actually is too. It changes a lot of details from the first one (which expanded greatly on the original short story) but the basic theme is the same. Both are worthwhile.

Good psychological crime drama. 
GG2U

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 104105106107108 256>
  Share Topic