MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Testament: Great thrash or tinny dirge?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 4:25pm
I discovered them with 'souls of black' and I was immediately hooked by their music. Recently, I listened to 'the legacy' which is killer thrash. Chuck Billy is one of the best vocalist in the thrash circles. In the later albums, he also "growls" but honestly I think it spoils the songs. And Alex Skolnick proved with Attention Deficit and Michael Manring he is a first class guitarist, on a par with the underappreciated Coroner's Tommy Vetterli.
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 4:45pm
RAISES HAND!!!!Rawks
Also a Coroner, Attention Deficit and Michael Mannring ("Thonk" with Steve Morse doing
some awesome colaborations with Michael too!) Fan! Big smile
Coroners "No more colour" is a must for any Thrash fan.

Hey Certif1ed!  Thanks for the reply!
Kreator/Petrozza has made 2 of my fave guitar solos in Thrash (perhaps in the Top 10):
1. Betrayer (Extreme Aggressions)
2. When the Sun burns Red (Coma of Souls)

And gosh, if you havent heard the Flotsam & Jetsam albums after "Doomsday", its like they all
went to "Thrash School" and graduated with honours LOL!
Try out: "No place for discrace", "When the Storm comes down" and "Quatro".  I think those
are the strongest but . . . I dont want to oversell them Embarrassed.
"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2010 at 4:23pm
It's great thrash to me, it's one of my favourite metal bands; their first 5 albums are great to me (although Practice What You preach is the weakest out the first 5, but Skolnick still saves the album). Demonic and The Gathering are my least favourite, it's too "death metal" for me as I can hardly tolerate growls these days.
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2010 at 10:27am
I'm not a big fan of "Demonic" wither - it's not so much because of the growling though.
The Angry Scotsman View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 12:37am
I like Testament.

Don't like all of their stuff, but that is the case with a lot of bands, but they are some awesome old thrash.
The Legacy, The New Order, and the Gathering are great!
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 3:22am
^That would be the 3 albums I would mention as highlights too.
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 12:00pm
^ Why the little appreciation for Souls of Black? I for one thought it was great. What's wrong with it?
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 2:49pm
I keep jumping around when it comes to determining what my favorite Testament album is.  If I had to choose today, I'd probably say "The Ritual".  Skolnick sounds amazing on that record.  Some thrashy songs, some catchy/radio-friendly songs, a good variety.
vmoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2012 at 1:07pm
testament is my 3rd favorite band
Kingcrimsonprog View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingcrimsonprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2012 at 1:40pm
Testament are great.
I dont really have anything further to add.

My Blog: http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2012 at 9:30pm
Originally posted by Stooge Stooge wrote:

I keep jumping around when it comes to determining what my favorite Testament album is.  If I had to choose today, I'd probably say "The Ritual".  Skolnick sounds amazing on that record.  Some thrashy songs, some catchy/radio-friendly songs, a good variety.

What was I thinking when I said that???  I must have been on a big Return To Serenity kick. LOL  There's still a good variety on the album, but I think their mainstream-ish songs are far better than the thrashier ones.  

I can't think of which is my favorite now.  They're very consistent, but I'm honestly not sure if I'd rate one of them 5 out of 5.  However, it's been too long since I've listened to The Gathering.  I definitely need to buy a copy of that one.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic   

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image