MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNow -- what are you listening to? V2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 10821083108410851086 1639>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 6 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2017 at 12:30am

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2017 at 1:31am
Originally posted by DippoMagoo DippoMagoo wrote:

Okay, this actually is really damn good! I still kinda wish I hadn't seen Adam's review, though, because the thing is, I really don't like when reviews feel like they're being made to promote one band while putting another down and that's something I really try to avoid (I do occasionally make comparisons between bands, but often don't say if I like one over another and certainly don't push that hard on it) because I think albums need to be judged on their own merits and if I were to judge this against Vektor, I'd automatically start looking for areas where I think it's not as good. Judging it on its own, though, it is definitely one of the better thrash albums I've heard in recent years. 

Don't feel like I'm just picking on Adam, though: I actually do this all the time with some of my RYM friends who do the same thing in their reviews, so it's more a general thing I dislike, I guess.

Hi Travis, I'm genuinely sorry you feel this way about my review. I hope I can explain my position on it to your satisfaction here:

Firstly I probably did go overboard with the amount of Vektor mentions in this one. I'm sure you're aware that this isn't my usual style of review though. I do mention other artists every so often in reviews, such as in these recent ones:

But it's not something I actively do. I actually avoid it when I can, unless I feel the comparison was in some way justified. 

In my defence, the paragraph which actually describes this album's music in the most detail doesn't, intentionally, mention Vektor once and it's this paragraph that would normally form the main section of a standard review I wrote:

Quote Madrost favour a raw and unadulterated aggression when it comes to their music, which is enhanced perfectly by the production which is professional yet not overly slick and polished. There is some melody to be found, but its used quite subtly. Their style retains the death metal element of albums past but they are certainly a case where the thrash metal elements are considerable more prominent than the death metal ones. While The Essence of Time Matches No Flesh can even get a little bit progressive as well as technical Madrost don't mess around with fancy frills and unexpected influences and just get the job done, happily kicking arse along the way via the occasional softer atmospheric 'breather' section, which really only serve to further highlight the intensity of the album when Madrost shift things back into fifth gear. It is, needless to say, a hard hitting and powerful album with insane musicianship that's technically proficient but never self-indulgent and that's exactly why it works so well. If I had to pick a few favourites from it I'd have to name Abstractions, Dimensions and Eyes of the Deceit but the remaining four certainly aren't lesser tracks in any way.

I also don't think my review was written in a way which put Vektor down, which was something I was consciously trying to avoid. Obviously the review's direction was inspired by the fact that I don't consider Terminal Redux to be an untouchable masterpiece and this album immediately stuck me as getting the things right that kept Terminal Redux 'only' on a 4.5 rating for me. The goal was to point out not that Terminal Redux didn't deserve the praise it got (in fact I actually went out of my way to say that before I got too far into the review ("I'm sure most thrash metal listeners will be sceptical over any band being able to touch Vektor, who are of course absolutely insanely talented musicians who undoubtedly deserve the praise they have gotten to date") but that other releases in the genre shouldn't be easily dismissed. I also made comparisons between this and Madrost's previous album Into the Aquatic Sector, so I'll stand by my review and say it was well balanced even considering the regular mentions of Vektor. 

Vektor are, objectively, the more proficient musicians (or rather musician now, since only David is left in the band) at this point, but I personally enjoyed this album more largely because I felt they didn't go overboard and balanced technical skill with thrashy aggression in a stronger way. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2017 at 1:41am
If it helps, I didn't like that album or the Vektor one.LOL

Now playing:

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2017 at 1:58am
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2017 at 2:09am
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/paara/yon-olevainen-puoli
GG2U

666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2017 at 3:16am

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2017 at 3:17am
The language is a little strong...
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2017 at 3:19am
Originally posted by 666sharon666 666sharon666 wrote:

Wow! Love that cover! So incredibly tacky, yet so cool! Er, what is it?

Save
666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2017 at 3:31am
It's my re-selected Reviewers Challenge album.

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/rendered-helpless/entities-of-transdimensional-emergence
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2017 at 6:49am
Before:

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/winterfylleth/the-ghost-of-heritage

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/winterfylleth/the-threnody-of-triumph

Starting to really get into Winterfylleth now. I only know these two still though and I especially like the first one, which actually has a song about a historic battle that took place only about 20 miles from where I live. I swear metal albums have taught me more history than school ever did. Wink

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/pale-mist/where-the-darkness-is-praised

Now:

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/scanner/hypertrace

Haven't played this early power metal classic lately. 
GG2U

Dobbie03 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2017 at 1:03pm

Be excellent to each other.
Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2017 at 5:37pm
Powerwolf marathon
DippoMagoo View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Power & Neo, Goth & Symph, Prog/AG Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2017 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Okay, this actually is really damn good! I still kinda wish I hadn't seen Adam's review, though, because the thing is, I really don't like when reviews feel like they're being made to promote one band while putting another down and that's something I really try to avoid (I do occasionally make comparisons between bands, but often don't say if I like one over another and certainly don't push that hard on it) because I think albums need to be judged on their own merits and if I were to judge this against Vektor, I'd automatically start looking for areas where I think it's not as good. Judging it on its own, though, it is definitely one of the better thrash albums I've heard in recent years. 

Don't feel like I'm just picking on Adam, though: I actually do this all the time with some of my RYM friends who do the same thing in their reviews, so it's more a general thing I dislike, I guess.

Hi Travis, I'm genuinely sorry you feel this way about my review. I hope I can explain my position on it to your satisfaction here:

Firstly I probably did go overboard with the amount of Vektor mentions in this one. I'm sure you're aware that this isn't my usual style of review though. I do mention other artists every so often in reviews, such as in these recent ones:

But it's not something I actively do. I actually avoid it when I can, unless I feel the comparison was in some way justified. 

In my defence, the paragraph which actually describes this album's music in the most detail doesn't, intentionally, mention Vektor once and it's this paragraph that would normally form the main section of a standard review I wrote:

Quote Madrost favour a raw and unadulterated aggression when it comes to their music, which is enhanced perfectly by the production which is professional yet not overly slick and polished. There is some melody to be found, but its used quite subtly. Their style retains the death metal element of albums past but they are certainly a case where the thrash metal elements are considerable more prominent than the death metal ones. While The Essence of Time Matches No Flesh can even get a little bit progressive as well as technical Madrost don't mess around with fancy frills and unexpected influences and just get the job done, happily kicking arse along the way via the occasional softer atmospheric 'breather' section, which really only serve to further highlight the intensity of the album when Madrost shift things back into fifth gear. It is, needless to say, a hard hitting and powerful album with insane musicianship that's technically proficient but never self-indulgent and that's exactly why it works so well. If I had to pick a few favourites from it I'd have to name Abstractions, Dimensions and Eyes of the Deceit but the remaining four certainly aren't lesser tracks in any way.

I also don't think my review was written in a way which put Vektor down, which was something I was consciously trying to avoid. Obviously the review's direction was inspired by the fact that I don't consider Terminal Redux to be an untouchable masterpiece and this album immediately stuck me as getting the things right that kept Terminal Redux 'only' on a 4.5 rating for me. The goal was to point out not that Terminal Redux didn't deserve the praise it got (in fact I actually went out of my way to say that before I got too far into the review ("I'm sure most thrash metal listeners will be sceptical over any band being able to touch Vektor, who are of course absolutely insanely talented musicians who undoubtedly deserve the praise they have gotten to date") but that other releases in the genre shouldn't be easily dismissed. I also made comparisons between this and Madrost's previous album Into the Aquatic Sector, so I'll stand by my review and say it was well balanced even considering the regular mentions of Vektor. 

Vektor are, objectively, the more proficient musicians (or rather musician now, since only David is left in the band) at this point, but I personally enjoyed this album more largely because I felt they didn't go overboard and balanced technical skill with thrashy aggression in a stronger way. 

Yeah, I really didn't want to make a big deal of it, it's definitely just something I personally dislike in reviews. I guess the thing for me is, when I see a review for a band I've never heard of and the review states it's better than a band I consider to be among the best (or in this case the absolute best) in their field, that instantly forces me into the position of listening to an album with unfair expectations, looking for the bands to nail the particular aspects I favor, which almost always isn't going to happen, because two bands are almost never going to excel at all the exact same things.

Obviously, it's kinda my own fault for letting reviews get me into that spot, but I guess I just don't like it when reviews turn things into a competition where one band has to be pointed out as clearly better than the other, as it's always going to be a matter of taste. Especially in this case, because in the end I did really like the album, and I can agree on some points (for example, I personally never struggle with lengthy albums if it's something I love, but I can see how the Madrost album would be more manageable for most people, due to being roughly half as long, thus easier to put on repeat.) The truth is, both bands are obviously really talented, and we each just happen to prefer certain aspects of one over the other, which is expected. I obviously think I would have liked Madrost more if I had simply seen them recommended as a great thrash band, instead of as being better than Vektor, but again, that's kinda my own fault for letting a review set my expectations, and who knows if I ever would discovered them without seeing your review? So in the long run, your review was still helpful to me, even if it initially triggered me a bit, because after a couple listens I stopped letting my opinion get in the way and just enjoyed the album for what it is. 

So yeah, I admit I overacted a bit, as I'm prone to do, but let's just agree that the Madrost album is an awesome surprise, and definitely one of the best thrash releases in recent years.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2017 at 7:42pm
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2017 at 10:23pm
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
Dobbie03 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2017 at 11:10pm

Be excellent to each other.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 10:05am

Yeah, I really didn't want to make a big deal of it, it's definitely just something I personally dislike in reviews. I guess the thing for me is, when I see a review for a band I've never heard of and the review states it's better than a band I consider to be among the best (or in this case the absolute best) in their field, that instantly forces me into the position of listening to an album with unfair expectations, looking for the bands to nail the particular aspects I favor, which almost always isn't going to happen, because two bands are almost never going to excel at all the exact same things.

Which is ultimately why I rated this one higher. I respect Vektor immensely but I prefer Outer Isolation out of their albums and my comments were aimed at specifically Terminal Redux (rather than the band as a whole), which I find technically perfect yet goes a bit over the top and would likely have earned a five star from me had the band just trimmed the songs down a bit. Outer Isolation is just over 20 minutes shorter and IMO makes more impact for it. 

I get it about unfair expectations though. That wasn't my intent, and I actually went through the same thing when I first heard Terminal Redux since by the time I listened to it the album was, as I pointed out in the review, being treated like the metal event of the decade. My first impression after listening to it and being familiar with Outer isolation already was basically 'what, that's it?'

It did grow on me a lot though by sticking with it. 

Obviously, it's kinda my own fault for letting reviews get me into that spot, but I guess I just don't like it when reviews turn things into a competition where one band has to be pointed out as clearly better than the other, as it's always going to be a matter of taste. Especially in this case, because in the end I did really like the album, and I can agree on some points (for example, I personally never struggle with lengthy albums if it's something I love, but I can see how the Madrost album would be more manageable for most people, due to being roughly half as long, thus easier to put on repeat.) The truth is, both bands are obviously really talented, and we each just happen to prefer certain aspects of one over the other, which is expected. I obviously think I would have liked Madrost more if I had simply seen them recommended as a great thrash band, instead of as being better than Vektor, but again, that's kinda my own fault for letting a review set my expectations, and who knows if I ever would discovered them without seeing your review? So in the long run, your review was still helpful to me, even if it initially triggered me a bit, because after a couple listens I stopped letting my opinion get in the way and just enjoyed the album for what it is. 

So yeah, I admit I overacted a bit, as I'm prone to do, but let's just agree that the Madrost album is an awesome surprise, and definitely one of the best thrash releases in recent years.

Well I can't say I didn't expect some disagreements by making such a statement (I see I've got another on the latest comment that I'm going to respond to next). I actually started with the Vektor mention to ponder whether the success of Terminal Redux had been what prompted Madrost to get more technical (if you go back and check out Into the Aquatic Sector you'll find them to be more standard death-thrash) before I'd settled on a rating and then decided that since Terminal Redux was so well known by this point I'd use it as a reference to describe what Madrost did differently (paragraph 3). Although as I said before the album did quickly give me the impression that Madrost did the things I didn't like about Terminal Redux better it was only during my third listen to the album that I decided to give it five stars and put that provocative one-liner in. 

And I'll admit it, I did that because I thought it would be attention grabbing. And since this is my most talked about and commented on review on here for all 51 2017 albums I've reviewed so far I'd guess I was right. For what's its worth though I am genuinely sorry that my review made it more difficult for you to appreciate the album, but I will underline something you just said yourself: Would you have checked them out otherwise? That's a question I ask myself every time I write a review for something I consider worth 4 stars or more, especially if the release is pushing boundaries in its genre as is the case with the one I did for White Ward, which got two comments not counting my own and one other rating on this site to date. 
GG2U

DippoMagoo View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Power & Neo, Goth & Symph, Prog/AG Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 11:51am
Looking at the comments now, and at least I can feel better knowing I wasn't the only one to react that way! But yeah, if your goal was to get the band attention, you certainly succeeded. But yeah, at this point I'm over my initital frustrations, so it's all good. 

I'll definitely give the album some more listens soon, now that I'll be ready to focus more on the actual music, though my main goal today is to make some serious progress on my challenge review, so I can get it posted tomorrow.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 12:39pm
My goal is always to get the band/album attention. I really don't see much point in reviewing otherwise, which is why I rarely bother to write for anything I wouldn't at least give 3/3.5 stars. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 12:41pm
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/volur/ancestors

This one is pretty interesting. I added this band last year but I'd missed that they'd made more music. Sort of doom metal meets dark folk with some black metal (an element I don't recall them having before) thrown in. This is Lucas Gadke of Blood Ceremony's other band by the way. 
GG2U

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 10821083108410851086 1639>
  Share Topic