MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mastodon, Between the Buried and Me & Baroness

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murphy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mastodon, Between the Buried and Me & Baroness
    Posted: 17 Apr 2010 at 7:50pm
Was undecided where to put such a thread, so feel free to move it.

While these seem to be three unrelated bands, I'd like to get peoples opinions on any of the three in the live environ, as they are playing together in Albuquerque and I need convincing it will be a titillating experience. I'm traveling in America at the present, and while abroad I'm all the more keen to indulge in avenues I've neglected in the past. I come from a more extreme background; mainly black and doom - the more down trodden the better, with some death on the side, so it best to keep this in the back of your mind.

Oh, and peoples, feel free to vociferate your general love or hate, It'll all be helpful. 

cheers 

Edited by Murphy - 17 Apr 2010 at 7:52pm
Guai ai gelidi mostri �Everything that is doddering, squint-eyed, infamous, sullying, and grotesque is contained for me in this single word: God� Andr� Breton
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2010 at 8:31pm
Absolutely love BtBaM, Mastodon's pretty great as well, not familiar with Baroness. Thumbs Up But... I've never seen any of them live.
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2010 at 2:45am
I saw Mastodon warming up for Metallica last year. I think they were a bit constrained by the fact that they were just a warm-up band, and then the sound at the venue wasn't too great either. But it was enough to make me go and see them again at the Copenhell Festival this summer.
DeathOfSeasons View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeathOfSeasons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2010 at 11:04am
I've seen both Between the Buried and Me and Baroness live, but not Mastodon. Between the Buried and Me were very intense and they didn't stop to talk to the crowd once, they just played non-stop for sixty minutes. It was absolutely amazing.

Baroness are very powerful live and have fantastic stage presence. Definitely a must see.

I've heard mixed things about Mastodon. Some people say they're amazing live and others have told me that they put on one of the worst shows they've ever seen.
LoudTrax.com View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LoudTrax.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2010 at 12:53pm
i haven't seen them live, but these have been my 3 favorites bands recently.  Crack The Skye (Mastodon), The Great Misdirect (BTBAM), and the red and blur Records by Baroness are just incredible albums.  I heard Baroness is killer live. 

if you go, let us know!
LoudTrax.com - Rock, Metal, Punk downloads
Negoba View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Negoba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2010 at 8:20am
I saw Baroness live as the first opener for Opeth on the Red Album tour. They are very intense, and easily nail everything they do on record. The sound at my show was pretty bad (which is ridiculous because Opeth's was great) so it's hard to give a good eval. But their energy was great.
We're gonna do a little number featuring Randy Rhoads...

Wine is fine but whisky's quicker.

That's what Rock n' Roll's About!!!!
Vehemency View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vehemency Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2010 at 8:24am
Saw Mastodon opening Slayer 6 years ago, and back then they weren't anything special I think, but it was indeed 6 years ago. Since then they've released "Blood Mountain" and "Crack the Skye" (!!!) so I bet they're better now live as well.
Beekeeper View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beekeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2010 at 8:28am
BTBAM - metalcore, pass

Mastodon - they were great a few years ago when I saw them, I saw them again this year and they played the entirety of crack the skye. Unfortunately crack the skye isn't anywhere near as good as their earlier material so it was a pretty mediocre performance.

Baroness - heard they were amazing live
The Pessimist View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Pessimist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2010 at 12:01pm
Baroness are absolutely phenomenal, damn tight band
Murphy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murphy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2010 at 1:07pm
Thanks, peoples, for the feed back.

I'll give it a shot, only $23. Baroness were the chaps that caught my eye on the flyer (opening act unfortunately) and it appears by general consensus they'll put on a lively show, then it's a matter of how I survive the rest ;)  
Guai ai gelidi mostri �Everything that is doddering, squint-eyed, infamous, sullying, and grotesque is contained for me in this single word: God� Andr� Breton
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2014 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by Beekeeper Beekeeper wrote:

BTBAM - metalcore, pass

Mastodon - they were great a few years ago when I saw them, I saw them again this year and they played the entirety of crack the skye. Unfortunately crack the skye isn't anywhere near as good as their earlier material so it was a pretty mediocre performance.

Baroness - heard they were amazing live

Wacko
"Before you see the light you must die!!!!!!!!!!" - Slayer

"Today is born the seventh one, born of woman, the seventh son" - Steve Harris
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image