MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Power Metal Recommendations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FusionKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Power Metal Recommendations
    Posted: 16 Apr 2010 at 2:23pm
Hi guys, could any of you reccomend some Power Metal for me that's not ripping off Iron Maiden? I've been through soooooooo many bands but I just can't find anything that different. To give you an idea of what I do like a lot... I'm into Primal Fear and Iced Earth. (...and Helloween is mandatory LOL)
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2010 at 4:07pm
Savatage, Symphony X, Blind Guardian, and Rough Silk should keep you busy for a little while...
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
lucas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2010 at 5:23pm
^
Europe meets Dream Theater ?

The following band gained a huge popularity in Poland thanks to a song dealing with a forgotten battle (a Polish fan suggested them to make a song about it) : the battle of Wizno in 1939 where 720 Polish soldiers fighted 3 days with 54200 soldiers of the Wehrmacht in front of them!!! I discovered this band during a visit in the Silesian Center of Heart Diseases in Zabrze two years ago : all the physicians present were watching a video on youtube and I was surprised to hear some metal music playing, one of the physicians invited me to look at the video and pay attention to the subtitles (I post here the video with subtitles in polish, but I believe you can find it with subtitles in english) :

A classic :

Not sure the following one is power metal, but the album the song is taken from is called 'power metal' :

Edited by lucas - 17 Apr 2010 at 5:42pm
FusionKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FusionKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2010 at 6:08pm
I was just listening to that Pantera song a few hours ago, bloody good! As for Future World, that's off the Helloween album I've got here. Big smile
lucas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2010 at 6:13pm
^
what do you think of Seventh Wonder, I quite like them and they should appeal to progsters...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FusionKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2010 at 6:47pm
Thanks for posting these, lucas, they sound really good...Seventh Wonder seems particularly impressive.
1967/ 1976 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1967/ 1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2010 at 4:28am
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2010 at 5:16am
Give Vicious Rumors a listen, I can't recommend them highly enough! Their self titled third album is a great place to start. Also you might like M.A.R.S. which features the excellent guitarist Tony MacAlpine. 

I'll also endorse the Symphony X suggestion, a great metal band with some prog overtones.

Edited by Nightfly - 18 Apr 2010 at 5:31am
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2010 at 6:54am
Ah-Ha!

If you liked Seventh Wonder, Angra and Jorn (excellent Lucas! Been just getting into SW for the
past Year) Try . . .

"Prog"/Powermetal Territory:
Anubis Gate (careful their earlier stuff is much more simple than their later years)
Cloudscape
Adagio
Ark (this gets more into Dream Theater-like Prog Metal, but "Jorn" help form this
excellent Band).
Leverage
Time Machine
Divine Vision
Angel Dust
Firewind
Labyrinth
Mastermind
Mind Key
NovAct
Masterplan

Old Guard:
Vicious Rumours
Fifth Angel
Sanctuary
Blind Guardian
Symphony X (credit to Nightfly and J-man)
Artension
Ivanhoe
Kamelot
GB Arts
Balance of Power
Divided Multitude
Lana Lane
Narnia
New Eden
Tad Morose
Jag Panzer

Tech-Prog/Powermetal:
Nevermore
Spheric Universe Experience
Pyramaze
Brainstorm (Ger)
Minds Eye
Dreamscape
Icycore
Katagory V
Lalu
Communic
Manticora

Whoa, thats alot to start you with Wink I better stop . . .

Let us know what you like!

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 18 Aug 2010 at 3:21pm
"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2010 at 7:23am
No one mentioned Rhapsody of Fire??? Listen to the first two albums by them. Great powerful power metal.

MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2010 at 7:38am
Hehe,

I was afraid to LOL CHEESE "happy feet" Powermetal, I have a list of those too but I didnt think he wanted
those (I like Rhapsody/of Fire).
Domine from Italy is good too, if anyone knows about "The Elric of Melnibone' Sagas (Books)" Big smile
Stratovarius
Mob Rules
Aina
Celador
Dragonforce
Tons more . . .

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 18 Apr 2010 at 7:39am
"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2010 at 7:47am
Man that�s some good cheese for you thereLOL
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2010 at 8:00am
psst!
Go to PrOgulus.com, lots 100% International Cheese and Prog Rock/Metal goodies . . . who me spam?
well yes . . . SPAM and CHEESE! spam spam spam spam LOVELY SPAM WONDERFUL SPAM! :viking:

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1967/ 1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2010 at 8:55am
Also Steel Crown is good.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FusionKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2010 at 1:24pm
lol...I've just copied your wee viking, MAVIIIVAM... :viking:< he's cool as hell.
bsms810 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bsms810 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2010 at 7:05am
Blind Guardian!!!!
lucas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2010 at 3:43pm
The guitarist Kurdt Vanderhoof deserves a mention here.
First with Metal Church : what an incredible band !!! ('the dark' is somewhere between power metal and thrash metal) :

but most of all the following song is one of the best metal songs ever and could be a metal anthem :

Then with Presto Ballet :

Another band that is worth mentioning : Shadow Gallery (here is a video for a song from 'carved in sand' but the most power metal-sounding album is 'tyranny') :

RIP Mike Baker Cry

MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2010 at 10:46pm
Dont forget "Vanderhoof" and "Hall Aflame" Lucas Wink

Though Fusion King may like Metal Church and Presto Ballet, I think of Metal Church more of a Thrash
structure. And Presto Ballet and (the 1st version) Vanderhoof as Hard Rock/Heavy Metal-Post Prog
like Deep Purple and Uriah Heep ("Retro-Prog" is another term I've been hearing as well).
I also like the "Reverend" albums from former singer of Metal Church the Late/Great David Wayne!
Great Thrash albums, but are hard to come by (and Wayne-"Metal Church").

Shadow Gallery is awesome too, but I think of them coming from the "Dream Theater" school of Prog
Metal (Lemur Voice, Divine Regale, Mayadome, The Quiet Room, Digital Ruin, the 1st 2 albums of
Ivanhoe, and tons more). The vocals of Mike Baker are sorely missed Cry Rest in Peace.

But still, excellent picks from Lucas Clap . . . and glad you liked the "Viking" FK LOL though I picture you
as a "Scottsman" painting your face and doing this :guitarbang2:

But . . . back to the Powermetal . . . Ermm

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 27 Apr 2010 at 10:55pm

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1967/ 1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2010 at 10:45am
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FusionKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2010 at 6:59am
   ^
Lucas may be French but if I'm not mistaken, the French have celtic roots just like us Scots.Big smile  And frankly, me being Scottish,  I actually do that > :guitarbang2:             LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic