Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

List your rarities

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote renkls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: List your rarities
    Posted: 12 Sep 2012 at 1:31am
Any other collectors of rare albums/CDs/vinyls out there?

My collection of quite rare (metal) albums has only really begun, but I've already latched onto a few obscurities:

Devil Doll - The Sacrilege of Fatal Arms (original 900 released copies). I have 3.
Sabbat - The Dwelling (original 450 blue cover Evil Records) 2 copies.
I also have this album on a demo cassette released by the band in late 1995.
Gravetemple - Le Vampire De Paris (350 independantly released copies) I own 1.
Gravetemple - The Holy Down (one of 3000)
Asva - Live in London, September 8, 2005 (one of about 120 self released copies)
Also several low print run albums, around the 500 to 1000 mark, but most aren't hard to find like the ones mentioned above (except The Holy Down)
Yes, now you can tell I collect one track albums as well as review them.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2012 at 1:43am
I can't say I have many. The best find is probably Ayreon's Ayreonaut's Only compilation which is now out of print. Unless I have something which I don't know is rare, this is my only metal one. 

Not metal but related to metal I also have the debut album of Die Verbannten Kinder Evas. Unfortunately it is not in great condition but I didn't pay anywhere near the money I normally see them for sale for. 

Also not metal (but again related) but I have Wongraven's Fjelltronen CD. It's not, unfortunately, the original 1995 Moonfog release, but even re-issues like this one are for sale in the �50+ margin on Amazon UK now (I paid �8).
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2012 at 1:57am
I have a couple of picture vinyls that have probably only been pressed in a limited amount of copies. Not anywhere near the rarities the OP mentions though.

Paradise Lost - "Lost Paradise"
Autopsy - "Mental Funeral"
Kreator - "Extreme Aggression"
Psychotic Waltz - "A Social Grace"
dtguitarfan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dtguitarfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2012 at 5:49am
I'm sure I own plenty of now rare items that are also completely worthless, as nobody wants them, haha!  Some are precious to me, though.  Frustrating, though, is when I've spent a lot for something that was out of print that later was re-released.  For example - I discovered Epica right after they released The Divine Conspiracy.  So I wanted to buy Consign to Oblivion, but it was not easily available and I ended up buying it off of someone for about $50.  Now it's been re-released and selling for under $10 in some places.  Grr...
renkls View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote renkls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2012 at 6:05am
It sucks when that happens, which is why I don't collect with the intention of really onselling anything, I just have the whole completionist attitude to some albums of mine. Logically, I don't need 5 copies of the same album, but for some reason, I do.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2012 at 8:04am
^LOL yeah I have a couple of albums too that I own in several copies. For example I have "Countdown to Extinction" by Megadeth on both Cassette tape, vinyl and CD. Not that it�s a rarity in any way of course.
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2012 at 8:12am
Off the top of my head:

Grave Temple - The Holy Down (one of 3000, I'm cool too, renkls)
Esoteric - Epistemological Despondency (out of print 2 CD from the Aesthetic Death label)
Esoteric - The Pernicious Enigma (out of print 2 CD from the Aesthetic Death label, this album never got reissued)
Leviathan - Verrater (I believe this is out of print from a label called tUMULt, never got reissued)
Leviathan - The Tenth Sublevel of Suicide (original 2003 issue from Moribund Records)
North - Na polach bitew (rather obscure label)
Sigh - Hail Horror Hail (original 1997 issue from Cacophonous Records)
Sleep - Dopesmoker (orignal 2003 digipack)
Lynx33 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lynx33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2012 at 8:23am
I have Brahms' Violin Concerto in D Op. 77 with Oistrakh/Konwitschny and Dresden Staatskp. on gatefold vinyl released by DG in 1959Smile

Edited by Lynx33 - 12 Sep 2012 at 8:25am
All that is over. Today, I know how to celebrate beauty.
renkls View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote renkls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2012 at 8:37am
Originally posted by Wilytank Wilytank wrote:

Off the top of my head:

Esoteric - Epistemological Despondency (out of print 2 CD from the Aesthetic Death label)
Esoteric - The Pernicious Enigma (out of print 2 CD from the Aesthetic Death label, this album never got reissued)
Leviathan - Verrater (I believe this is out of print from a label called tUMULt, never got reissued)
Leviathan - The Tenth Sublevel of Suicide (original 2003 issue from Moribund Records)

Grave Temple are pretty great, aren't they? I prefer Le Vampire De Paris slightly over The Holy Down but they're both excellent. You should get into Devil Doll, they're great too, though their metal influence is pretty slight.
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2012 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by renkls renkls wrote:

Originally posted by Wilytank Wilytank wrote:

Off the top of my head:

Grave Temple are pretty great, aren't they? I prefer Le Vampire De Paris slightly over The Holy Down but they're both excellent.

I've listened to Le Vampire de Paris through...erm...clandestine means, but I agree that it's the better of the two.  I would have picked up their Pentemple album from Amazon, but the seller never did ship it and the order was cancelled.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2012 at 7:10pm
I'm not sure I own anything "rare" in the usual sense of the word, just a lot of things nobody has ever heard of
IMPF2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IMPF2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2012 at 8:10pm
Absolutely nothing at all, my CD collection is rather boring.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2012 at 8:24pm
The only one I can think of right now:
- Fuck The Facts - Mullet Fever (hand numbered CD-R out of 200)
I got it at a local show in 2001 or 2002 before they were on a label.  I think they had just got Mel as their new vocalist.
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CPicard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2012 at 1:25pm
The few rarities I own are self-produced cassettes or CDs from small French bands: Swamp 120, Downfall, Blockheads, the Gr�nt Gr�nt / Yatta� split-45T...
Kingcrimsonprog View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingcrimsonprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2012 at 7:06am
I have a genuine copy of Powerman 5000's  Anyone For Doomsday, of which most copies were recalled and destroyed.

My Blog: http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2012 at 10:24am
Not sure how rare but the Kvist album, original 1996 CD via Avantgarde Music. Got it today for �1. Maybe someone can let me know how rare it is? Amazon has no copies at all, just the 2009 re-issue and a 1999 pressing on the same label for �60+
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2012 at 11:46am
I have a copy of "Cold Lake".
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CPicard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2012 at 2:58pm
^I wonder if it's an example of tongue-in-cheek humour or a message with too few information.
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2012 at 6:08am
I have a number from the NWoBHM era that are very obscure.

I have the first two pressings of Diamond Head's "Lightning to the Nations" album from 1980. The first pressing also autographed. I have most of their singles and EP's from their early era too, all very carefully stored.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2012 at 6:34am
Originally posted by Colt Colt wrote:

I have a number from the NWoBHM era that are very obscure.

I have the first two pressings of Diamond Head's "Lightning to the Nations" album from 1980. The first pressing also autographed. I have most of their singles and EP's from their early era too, all very carefully stored.

Yeah I bet those would cost a substantial amount of money on internet auktions these days.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic