MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Suggest new bands/artists to MMA
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedOutopsya for Prog Metal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Outopsya for Prog Metal
    Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 9:52am
I copy from http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=64858&KW=outopsya&PID=3540149#3540149:

OUTOPSYA: SUM

Outopsya are:
Evan mazzucchi: Bass
Luca Vianini: guitars, vocal, synthesizers & drums score
Ylenia Zenatti: Vocals on tracks 2& 4

Info at:www.myspace.com/outopsya

track list of "Sum" (Videoradio VRCD 000746):
1) Lords Of Hate
2) Mothal
3) Mus
4) Don't Mind
5) Tarred Life
6) Mechanical 7
7) SandNess
8) Sum

CD cover:

REVIEW:
From Rovereto (TRento, Italy) now thanks to Donato Zoppo (www.synpress44.com) I have in my hands this beautiful CD "Sum" published by Outopsya (OUT Of PSYchical Activity) fron Videoradio. This is a great CD of Prog. Yes Prog also if Extreme Technical Prog... Metal. But basically "Sum" is a CD of Prog because fusion of Steve Vai, Funky, Blues, Psychedelic Rock, Annihilator, Death Metal, Thrash metal and other musical genres as Jazz, Krautrock etc... In definitive for Outopsya this is the correct way for a new Prog. This is important because this way fall down barriers between musical genres and only the sounds are slanted toward a certain kind of listeners the music that Outopsya plays.

I'm not an expert of Tech or Extreme or Experimental Prog metal but in this case Outopsya is a band that plays a summary between these various genres (that, indeed, can often be confused with each other). So I think that only if I speak about the various genres that are incorporated in this music I speak in good manner about Outopsya. And in this sense after 4 demos and 1 DVD, various musical project (music for silent film "Der Golem", for examples) this first CD is a great summary of these experience. The musical genre is the summary of variuos ideas of Luca Vianini who has chosen music so extreme because he found it easier to express their ideas. But sure in this music I see The Beatles and Mozart, Yes and Annihilator, Slayer and PFM, Vangeilis, Miles Davies, Steve Vai and Sodom, Nuclear Assault and Obituary, Necrodeath and Cynic, Black Metal and pure Fusion. Because this is (but not only in this case) World Music... Classic Music. Certainly if you speak about Extreme Prog metal you do not speak about Jazz or Fusion. But this is an unnecessary barrier that is still unnecessary also in this case.

Song for song... Not easy work. In fact these 8 songs not have melody, not have simple passages... Have only the passion. However I can say that the various elements (described above) are mixed... Remain divided... Interpenetrate... Clash between them... They die and are reborn... Who knows why... Remain suspended in an abstract poetry... What is figurative art. Dante and Boccaccio... Alice in Wonderland and Snow White... Day and Night... Sex and Hate... God and Lucifer... Past and Future... Love and Hate... Everything and nothing... Life and Death... music is art!... Donald Duck and Uncle Scrooge... Well... Song for song is not a possible description with words. Song for song is a description for mind. And also in this case is not an easy work.

In definitive... Outopsya. A final Prog music for a true Progsters!

My vote is 9,5/10!!!

Edited by 1967/ 1976 - 15 Apr 2010 at 9:53am
1967/ 1976 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2010 at 10:30am
What is your opinion about this band?
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 2:32pm
Bump!! Could the prog team have a look at this one? 
Andyman1125 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 7:36pm
Will check, thanks
Andyman1125 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 7:41pm
Hm... this is a toughie. I'm hesitant to say prog metal, although they definitely have prog elements to their music. I think avant metal would be a much better fit for them. Like the description above said, the band are huge fusers, and I think straight prog metal wouldn't be the right fit for them. I'll bring this to the avant team.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 7:43pm
Added to avant-metal; as per site policy, an admin will now lock this thread (please Smile)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic