MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Five Star Ratings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: A 5 Star Rating Should Be Given When...
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [12.50%]
17 [70.83%]
1 [4.17%]
3 [12.50%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2015 at 1:18am
I used to write for a website which had a bloody stupid 0-100 system, but the way it worked, 75 was average. Have also noticed that magazines with 0-10 systems generally give 7 as average, or 3.5 in a 0-5 system. 

I don't like ratings at all. Readers get lazy and just look at the rating, and writers often prejudge the rating and then write a review to fit it. I reckon if you can't figure out if something is any good or not just from reading the review, then either the reviewer has done a bad job or you're fucking thick. Metal Maniacs magazine used to have ratings free reviews, and it also had the best reviews. Coincidence?
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2015 at 7:27am
Ratings are just an attempt to quantify how much you like the album. It's fun, but it's not hugely important. My method is that, if I like, love, adore, dislike, hate, or am indifferent to an album, I rate it accordingly.
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2015 at 7:42am
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

I used to write for a website which had a bloody stupid 0-100 system, but the way it worked, 75 was average. Have also noticed that magazines with 0-10 systems generally give 7 as average, or 3.5 in a 0-5 system. 

I don't like ratings at all. Readers get lazy and just look at the rating, and writers often prejudge the rating and then write a review to fit it. I reckon if you can't figure out if something is any good or not just from reading the review, then either the reviewer has done a bad job or you're fucking thick. Metal Maniacs magazine used to have ratings free reviews, and it also had the best reviews. Coincidence?

I've been bitching about how bad ratings are for quite some time now, I guess some of our dear forum members may be already fed up with my one-man crusade LOL seriously though, I'm so glad to see you expressing a similar opinion :) I'd get rid of ratings entirely if I could... even though I admit that my views have evolved quite dramatically throughout the years. I tried to justify their existence but in the end I decided they have very few redeeming qualities.

Still, I don't give too many 5-star ratings. Not because I don't think those albums are perfect - nothing is perfect, after all, and sometime imperfections are what makes an album unique. I just rarely like something that much. 
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2015 at 8:10am
I don't think an album has to be 100% or even 95% to be 5 star, but must be of an overall very high standard. It could even have a track or 2 that weren't that great as long as they weren't too much of the overall playing time. I don't give out 5 stars lightly though. 

Having a rating is useful, not so much for individual reviews, but for example, someone who didn't know much about death metal but wanted to explore it can look at the top list which of course is based on ratings.
powermetal2000 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powermetal2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2015 at 8:21am
I've given out 41 5 stars on MMA out of 1173 ratings made. I subscribe to an always round down policy, so if 4 stars is 80%, 4.5 is 90% and 5 is 100% etc, then something that scores 99% is a 4.5 because 99% is not 100% and therefore doesn't meet the 5 star threshold.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2015 at 8:58am
I round up, but I use a percentage rating too, so it´s obvious that some of my four star ratings aren´t a full four star rating but rather somewhere between 3.5 and 4 stars.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2015 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by powermetal2000 powermetal2000 wrote:

I've given out 41 5 stars on MMA out of 1173 ratings made. I subscribe to an always round down policy, so if 4 stars is 80%, 4.5 is 90% and 5 is 100% etc, then something that scores 99% is a 4.5 because 99% is not 100% and therefore doesn't meet the 5 star threshold.

Yeah, but what's the difference between a 99% album and a 100% album? And if you're going to have fractions, then why not have a 0-10 or 0-100 system? Why not 0-1000? Or 666? I've seen such systems. I tried to simplify things myself with a "Yes/Maybe/No" system (as in "is this worthy of my collection?"), but then found myself trying to justify partial ratings, like "yes, if you're completist, but otherwise, maybe..." or "maybe, but you'll only listen to it once or twice", so I gave up.

I like fucking with the rating system on Amazon. If something has lots of 5 stars and not many 1's, I'll go and give it a 1 on purpose, no matter what I think of it. I haven't done that here, because this is a METAL site.Smile

At the end of the day, I'm a writer, and I want people to read and appreciate my genius at manipulating the English language. All writers ultimately want to be read, and those little rating things mean people stop reading.
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2015 at 5:22pm
^ Not gonna lie, your post moved me, cracked me up and made me feel like I am not alone in this world... It was basically like a good ecchi anime! Thank you!

Also, we just need a color based rating system where anything brown, yellow and green is bad; purple and pink is awesome and lilac is not bad. 
Necrotica View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG, Death, Alt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2015 at 10:21pm
Originally posted by Diogenes Diogenes wrote:

I guess I'll go with B.  I don't give 5 star ratings unless the album seems really special to me, but that still doesn't automatically make it perfect IMO.

This. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic