MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Five Star Ratings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: A 5 Star Rating Should Be Given When...
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [12.50%]
17 [70.83%]
1 [4.17%]
3 [12.50%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Five Star Ratings
    Posted: 16 Aug 2012 at 4:38pm
This is something I was thinking of today, having seen so many different scoring systems used I realised that people can have the same regard for an album, film, or anything really as another but score it differently dependant on their own personal system. It got me thinking about 5 star ratings, the top tier, in particular and under what conditions we give out a 5 star rating or review on MMA. I know some of us are more free with them than others. The above poll represents what I see as three common options:

100% Only - You only rate with 5 stars if you'd rate with 100%.
95%+ - Mathematical rounding. You realise that when there are ten rating options of stars and half stars, anything rated at 95% or above equates to 10/10 or 5 stars.
Never - the nothing is perfect option. Not sure I've seen anyone here like this, but I have on Rate Your Music.

There is also an Other option just in case, although I'd like to think it won't be needed. 

Personally I use the second option. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2012 at 6:01pm
I tend to evaluate albums in rather strictly mathematical way, so I obviously went with B. I'm generally giving 5-star ratings really really seldom.

Edited by bartosso - 16 Aug 2012 at 6:10pm
Diogenes View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Diogenes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2012 at 10:21pm
You know, when I first registered on this site, I dreaded giving out 5 star ratings (or 1 star ratings, for that matter) because that meant to me that the album was perfect.  I guess I've become a little more lenient since then (and I should probably go through all of my ratings to adjust them accordingly), because I found that a 5 star album shouldn't necessarily be a perfect album.  This gets into your question of percentage, to which I say that there isn't really a straight-up conversion; in my opinion, they're two totally different rating systems and should be treated as such.  When I read reviews that are posted to both MMA and EM (and all due respect to the people who write them), it's pretty obvious that they're written for one scoring system and that the review doesn't quite match the opposite site's rating.  Like, a 4 star rating on this site shouldn't automatically equal an 80% on the other, you know? 

I guess I'll go with B.  I don't give 5 star ratings unless the album seems really special to me, but that still doesn't automatically make it perfect IMO.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2012 at 12:15am
Originally posted by Diogenes Diogenes wrote:

Like, a 4 star rating on this site shouldn't automatically equal an 80% on the other, you know? 

Agreed. It's easier to convert the other way around. i.e. 79%, 80% and 82% all round to a 4 star. But 85% rounds to a 4.5. Since I use decimal on Heavy Metal Haven, that's how I convert my scores to MMA's system in any case.

It's because of that therefore why I always have raised eyebrows when people score the same release so different on different sites or systems.i.e. write 9.2 in the text and give it five stars when 9.2 is clearly closer to a 4.5.

Edited by adg211288 - 17 Aug 2012 at 5:42am
GG2U

Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2012 at 6:03am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Originally posted by Diogenes Diogenes wrote:

Like, a 4 star rating on this site shouldn't automatically equal an 80% on the other, you know? 

Agreed. It's easier to convert the other way around. i.e. 79%, 80% and 82% all round to a 4 star. But 85% rounds to a 4.5. Since I use decimal on Heavy Metal Haven, that's how I convert my scores to MMA's system in any case.

I work the other way.  Almost always rounding down.  Within the 4.5 area, I range from 89 to 94.  But 88 down to 79 is a 4.  I'd rather not give an album more credit than it really deserves.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2012 at 8:02am
I only give albums 5 star ratings that I subjectively feel are the best albums out there. Very rarely have I rounded up to a full 5 star rating. When it comes to perfection I guess I throw the objective atitude overboardSmile.

Edited by UMUR - 17 Aug 2012 at 8:03am
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2012 at 9:37am
I occasionally round up to five stars on ProgArchives (where half-stars are not available), but I don't round up here. Like Jonas said, I also only give out 5 star ratings to albums I feel are the best out there. I don't really think about it in percentages, though.
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Sheavy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheavy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2012 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

I occasionally round up to five stars on ProgArchives (where half-stars are not available), but I don't round up here. Like Jonas said, I also only give out 5 star ratings to albums I feel are the best out there. I don't really think about it in percentages, though.

Same here.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2012 at 1:40am
I guess it's not an issue like that when you don't ever work in percentages or decimals. Being a decimal user though I've always gone with the rules of maths that I was taught in school. If its 4 or under, round down. If its 5 or above, round up. 
GG2U

Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2012 at 9:04pm
I think it's better to score an album based on its own merit.  I'm not going to preclude an album a 100 just because I didn't enjoy it as much as The Dwelling.
Diogenes View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diogenes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2012 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by Wilytank Wilytank wrote:

I think it's better to score an album based on its own merit.  I'm not going to preclude an album a 100 just because I didn't enjoy it as much as The Dwelling.

That too.  I always try to review albums in a vacuum, but it's harder than you think if you're actually looking out for it. 
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2012 at 5:23pm
I have a bad habit of regarding everything I like as perfect or near it, so hard to say Tongue
dtguitarfan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dtguitarfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2012 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

I have a bad habit of regarding everything I like as perfect or near it, so hard to say Tongue

Haha, I suffer from this bad habit as well.  Embarrassed
But I also don't think I want to stop since I don't really consider it suffering....
progshine View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progshine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 10:51pm
Humm, I usually give 5 stars only to something is really perfect.. for me. So I don't really think Perfect is unreachable. What is perfection anyway? It changes from person to person Tongue

But I'll go with 100% believing in what I just said, perfect by my standards
Testing 1...2...3..
RAY, IT'S NOT WORKING!

www.progshine.net

Your resource of Prog Rock with weekly Podcasts, reviews, interviews and many more.
renkls View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote renkls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2012 at 3:32am
To me, there's no such thing as a perfect album, because to me that would be one that fits every mood, playable at any time and that lasts without diminishing returns. Every album I have heard falls into at least one pitfall, however slight. But there's albums that come close to perfect, so all my 5 star ratings are 95-99%.
Eria Tarka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eria Tarka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2012 at 12:02am
I use the second option.
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2014 at 5:27am
Originally posted by Eria Tarka Eria Tarka wrote:

I use the second option.

This Clap
"Before you see the light you must die!!!!!!!!!!" - Slayer

"Today is born the seventh one, born of woman, the seventh son" - Steve Harris
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2014 at 12:21am
I give 5-star ratings quite a bit, but that's because there are a lot of albums that I find flawless. I went with the second option, seeing as there are a few albums I've given 5-stars that aren't 'flawless' and have one or two weak tracks.

I've never went with percentages, I just go with how I feel about the album and how good it sounds to me. I'll sometimes feel differently about albums and go back and edit or remake reviews, but that doesn't happen very often. 
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2014 at 1:16am
Originally posted by Unitron Unitron wrote:

I give 5-star ratings quite a bit, but that's because there are a lot of albums that I find flawless. I went with the second option, seeing as there are a few albums I've given 5-stars that aren't 'flawless' and have one or two weak tracks.

I've never went with percentages, I just go with how I feel about the album and how good it sounds to me. I'll sometimes feel differently about albums and go back and edit or remake reviews, but that doesn't happen very often. 

Clap Thumbs Up
"Before you see the light you must die!!!!!!!!!!" - Slayer

"Today is born the seventh one, born of woman, the seventh son" - Steve Harris
Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2014 at 3:34am
Originally posted by Unitron Unitron wrote:

Pretty much me.Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic