MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Djent scene is... big *__*

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: What do you think about that growing djent scene?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [5.88%]
13 [76.47%]
1 [5.88%]
2 [11.76%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Djent scene is... big *__*
    Posted: 11 Aug 2012 at 5:28am
As everybody knows, djent movement was, more or less accidentally, started by Meshuggah. What do you think about that crop of djent talents?
dtguitarfan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dtguitarfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2012 at 10:16am
Name some bands.  I've read descriptions of what Djent is, and thought I understood.  But I've been in some discussions and named Zero Hour as a djent band I love (it's one of the genres, along with Prog Metal, that rateyourmusic lists) and people told me they were definitely NOT djent.  But based on some of the descriptions I've read they seem to fit the bill, plus rateyourmusic seems to think they do as well so...I dunno.  But I love Zero Hour, and I love Animals as Leaders, and I like Blotted Science a lot, and Behold...the Arctopus as well, and in places I've seen people describe all of those as djent.
Tupan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2012 at 10:34am
I don't know much bands, but some are very good indeed!
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2012 at 11:01am
Originally posted by dtguitarfan dtguitarfan wrote:

Name some bands.  I've read descriptions of what Djent is, and thought I understood.  But I've been in some discussions and named Zero Hour as a djent band I love (it's one of the genres, along with Prog Metal, that rateyourmusic lists) and people told me they were definitely NOT djent.  But based on some of the descriptions I've read they seem to fit the bill, plus rateyourmusic seems to think they do as well so...I dunno.  But I love Zero Hour, and I love Animals as Leaders, and I like Blotted Science a lot, and Behold...the Arctopus as well, and in places I've seen people describe all of those as djent.

Cloudkicker
Animals as Leaders
Periphery
Tesseract
Uneven Structure
Chimp Spanner
Textures
Xerath
Vildhjarta

I don't think Zero Hour is djent, there are a few kind of djenty riffs, but that's just a minor feature. Especially as the band had been formed before the term was even coined. The term itself isn't very precise and I don't think there's anyone who's able to say what exactly is and what isn't djent. Those band's above are djent without a doubt - the fact that they're influenced by Meshuggah is obvious to say the least.
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Person Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2012 at 11:15am
I think a few standout artists (Cloudkicker, AAL, etc) that are grouped with the djent scene.
Pekka View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2012 at 12:43pm
I usually have a hard time listening to two tracks in a row from any band considered djent. Cloudkicker might be an exception, but the enjoyment I get from it is moderate at best. I don't really know enough to say anything about the whole scene, I just don't care enough.
<- Click on this!
Diogenes View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diogenes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2012 at 1:27pm
I guess I have to go with the last option.  Meshuggah never really appealed to me and neither have any of the straight-up djent bands that have become really popular.  I don't mind the djent style when in moderation, but IMO when used as the focus of the music it has limited potential.  As Pekka said, I don't usually enjoy listening to an entire djent album all the way through because it gets repetitive very quickly.

I do like Cloudkicker, but my favorite work of his is easily Let Yourself Be Huge, and that's not djent, so...
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2012 at 2:28pm
I don't mind djent. Some is good, and some isn't. I don't care much for Periphery (at least what I've heard so far), but I've enjoyed Animals As Leaders and Tesseract. I saw Chimp Spanner live once and found them an excellent band, and I even liked an EP by The Empire Shall Fall.
Kingcrimsonprog View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingcrimsonprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2012 at 3:31pm
I liked everything I head.
I hate when pissy about it being a genre or not though.
Everything is a genre once enough people do it and enough people call it one thing. People got pissy about Nu Metal and its now considered a genre.

Anyway, Animals As Leaders are incredible.

My Blog: http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2012 at 4:01pm
I went with the second option. Those "a few" bands are Animals as Leaders and Cloudkicker who, in a way, reinvented the style. I also kind of like Xerath who went symphonic with their djent. But I honestly can't stand Periphery, Tesseract and other bands of this kind. I hold a view that they just tamed the uncompromising nature of Meshuggah and made it more accessible and cheesy instead.
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2012 at 5:41pm
I went with C here.  The only one besides Meshuggah that's really worth listening to is Vildhjarta.
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2012 at 3:17am
I didn't even vote. Had there been a "Some I like, and some I don't like" option, then I'd gone with that one.
Xaxaar View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaxaar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2012 at 12:31am
We need more innovation out of this genre.  This genre feels too mechanical and repetitive for me.  So yeah, the copy cat one.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2012 at 12:36am
I only have one comment: MESHUGGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HeadbangerHeadbangerHeadbangerHeadbangerHeadbangerHeadbangerHeadbangerHeadbangerHeadbangerHeadbangerHeadbangerHeadbangerHeadbanger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic