MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Track-by-track reviews

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Do you like track-by-track reviews?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [12.50%]
14 [87.50%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Track-by-track reviews
    Posted: 09 Aug 2012 at 10:29am
I think it's the most controversial type of review. Both short and long reviews have their advantages and disadvantages so sometimes I prefer to read the first kind and sometimes the latter, depending on spare time and mood. Track-by-track reviews are something I really dislike though (no offense track-by-track reviewersEmbarrassed). And what do you think?
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2012 at 10:34am
If it's just a track by track then no, I don't like them. I don't mind so much when there is some other text outside of doing a track by track though. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2012 at 10:52am
I do like reviews that briefly touch on a few of the tracks, but generally I don't like reading reviews that go into tremendous detail about each song (unless the album in question is one of my favorites - then I might enjoy reading their thoughts on each song).

By and large, however, I prefer reviews that talk about the album as a whole and are a bit more concise. There are still exceptions, though.
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2012 at 10:56am
Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

I do like reviews that briefly touch on a few of the tracks, but generally I don't like reading reviews that go into tremendous detail about each song (unless the album in question is one of my favorites - then I might enjoy reading their thoughts on each song).

By and large, however, I prefer reviews that talk about the album as a whole and are a bit more concise. There are still exceptions, though.

I fully agree with you Jeff.

Edited by UMUR - 09 Aug 2012 at 10:57am
arcane-beautiful View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arcane-beautiful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2012 at 2:00pm
usually ill go into detail about certain songs, but i will give a general impression. cause you have to admit, there is alot of filler
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2012 at 10:08am
Track by track can be hard work to read, there's less surprises too, if I end up buying the album. Hints are better I think, describing the general feel and mentioning a few specific songs is pretty useful for most readers looking for information about a band/album.
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2012 at 7:14pm
Nothing wrong with mentioning what makes some tracks standout, but track-by-track reviews usually don't interest me enough to read them.  Exception might be if album has 4 or fewer songs.
Kustin View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kustin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2012 at 12:24am
I'm probably one of the few out of the pack when it comes to track-by-track reviews. If it's well-written, it could give me some further insight on those tracks I've already heard, not to mention that I learn how you formulate a song when it comes to writing your own review. The only thing I don't like about it is when the reviewer takes the song apart and just tells how the songs are structured since that's not important at all. I see the interpretations and backgrounds of the songs as essential, depending on you're checking out the album or just wants to get more insight of this with some help from the reviewer.
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2012 at 3:38am
I don't mind track-by-track reviews. They can be useful, if well written. And one thing the do show is that the reviewer has taken the time to listen to every track on the release in question.
1967/ 1976 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1967/ 1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2012 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

I fully agree with you Jeff.

And I quote!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic