Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Interviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Last Chance to Reason (July 2012)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conor Fynes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Last Chance to Reason (July 2012)
    Posted: 02 Aug 2012 at 5:39am

Seeing Last Chance to Reason when they opened for Obscura last year, I remember being really impressed with what they had to offer. LC2R play a convincing blend of progressive metal sounds, and though I was dismayed to hear that their more recent tour with Voivod was cancelled, I still had some questions to ask them about their music. Vocalist Michael Lessard brought me up to speed!

Introduce yourselves!

Hello there, I�m Michael Lessard of Last Chance to Reason.

If I was describing your music to someone, I�d probably say that you�re a mix between
the �modern� scene of progressive metal (�djent�, if you would want to call it that) and the more
classic approach of legends like Dream Theater and Cynic. How would you describe what LC2R
is all about?

We just try to play music we think rocks and challenges us. We call ourselves progressive metal
to keep it simple, but I like to think of us as a mix between Styx, Pantera, and King Crimson.

As the �prog metal� label might suggest, LC2R�s music is quite complex and intense. What�s the
process for writing this material? Is there a single creative mind in the band that leads things, or
is it an ensemble effort?

We all live in different areas of Maine and Abdow is actually from Massachusetts, so it�s ever-
changing. We all have a hand in the writing process, though.

LC2R has some of the geekiest yet most badass t-shirt designs I�ve ever seen. Darth Vader
telling me to �Feel the power of the prog side� isn�t something I�m bound to forget anytime
soon! What was the inspiration behind these designs?

Glad you dig �em! We work hand-and-hand with our merch company, Benchmark
Merchandising, for the artwork. We draw from all forms of media for nerdy references, then
bounce ideas off each other until the geekiest one prevails!

I saw you guys live once before on your Vancouver date while touring with Obscura
(interviewed Hannes Grossmann that night, really cool dude!) I was already a fan of LC2R after
hearing �Level 2�, but I was blown away, not only by the musicianship, but also the crystal clear
mixing and sound of the band. What is the experience of performing live like for you?

Thank you, man! It�s one of the most rewarding parts of being in a band. It gives us the
opportunity to play music and interact with awesome people. There�s more pressure when
you tour with bands that are musical monsters, but being lucky enough to share the stage with
them has actually helped us become more comfortable performing.

Let�s talk about video games!

I�ve got to ask; what are your favourite games? Any games in particular that most influence
LC2R�s aesthetic?

Games like Rez, Panzer Dragoon and Out of This World certainly had an influence on our
general aesthetic. As far as favorites, Zelda, Metroid, Half-Life, Oblivion, Smash TV, Contra,
Skyrim, Eve Online and too many others to name between all of our members.

What do you think about the greatest RPG series, Fallout? The original is one of the best games
I�ve ever played, and the Bethesda reboot has really grown on me!

Rocks! It�s hard to put into words how much that game rocks!

...or the single greatest computer game of all time, Sid Meier�s Alpha Centauri?

I actually have never played that, but I have to play it now!

LC2R has their own game out, a side scroller that�s been said to match up with your music.
What was the idea behind this, and where can fans play it?

The idea was to basically take a handful of things we love: progressive music, videogames,
and concept albums. Evan came up with idea for this mix of all things awesome. He designed
the game, worked with the pixel artist and programmer for the game, too. The game puts you
in a 2 dimensional world, battling through a computer system with moving environments,
singing enemies, infinite ammunition and lives. You can download the first level here: http://www4.zippyshare.com/v/28323558/file.html

Your next album, �Level 3� is scheduled to come out this year. What can we expect from it?

You can expect another concept album, guitar solos, rhythmic modulations, endless vocal
harmonies, and a much more musically matured LC2R. We very excited to show everyone what
the last few years has inspired us to create.

What have you been listening to, anything to recommend?

The Contortionist recently released �Intrinsic� and I�ve been listening to that lately. King
Crimson, Planet X, Gruvis Malt, Yes, Queen, Gavin Castleton, Michael Jackson, and Tool are
some acts I�m always listening to.

Anything I might have missed? Final words to humans and AI alike?

Dear inhabitants of space and time, thanks for reading this.

Finally, what is your favourite place to get cheeseburgers?

Canada�s very own, The Dirty Burger. I hope someone catches that reference.

Cheers from Vancouver!

Conor Fynes

Last Chance to Reason's MMA Profile may be found here.

Edited by Conor Fynes - 02 Aug 2012 at 5:39am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic