MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Traditional Metal, NWoBHM and Power Metal fans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alberto mu�oz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 9:51am
Here's a great fine song:
1967/ 1976 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1967/ 1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 10:01am
Great song. One of my favorite Saxon song, Alberto.
FusionKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FusionKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2010 at 2:14pm
...Motorcycle Man.
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2010 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by 1967/ 1976 1967/ 1976 wrote:

Some Trad Metal bands as Gotthard or Talisman (just to mame 2 band that I reviewed) are more close To AOR that to Heavy Metal. The problem, for me, is that these bands are Class Metal. But Class Metal is a genre of Heavy Metal, for you or it is only a branch of Trad Heavy metal?

Class Metal? Never heard of it. What is it?
Raff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2010 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by Time Signature Time Signature wrote:

Some Trad Metal bands as Gotthard or Talisman (just to mame 2 band that I reviewed) are more close To AOR that to Heavy Metal. The problem, for me, is that these bands are Class Metal. But Class Metal is a genre of Heavy Metal, for you or it is only a branch of Trad Heavy metal?

It is the term often used in the Eighties to define what we now call Glam Metal, or even some instances of harder-edged AOR (like Bon Jovi). I remember Kerrang! made quite a large use of this term back in the day.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2010 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

It is the term often used in the Eighties to define what we now call Glam Metal, or even some instances of harder-edged AOR (like Bon Jovi). I remember Kerrang! made quite a large use of this term back in the day.

Oh, thanks :-) Why "class"? Did people think it was more classy than other types of metal?
Raff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2010 at 3:36pm
Apparently soWink - though I've never seen that brand of metal as particularly 'classy' either.
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2010 at 3:41pm
Hmm...
I seem to remember that term as well, I think you may be onto something Time Sig, "Classy" may be
related to the "make-up" (Bowie, New York Dolls, Sweet, Poison and so-on).
Well you English use many different terms that I have had to think about for a bit. "Techno" is and was
used alot, from Hemispheres Rush to Spiral Architect.  My reactions were like . . . "TECHNO!!!??? Stern Smile"

Aup! . . . gotta' get that English Banter down.

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 16 Apr 2010 at 3:43pm
"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2010 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by MAVIIIVAM MAVIIIVAM wrote:

Hmm...
I seem to remember that term as well, I think you may be onto something Time Sig, "Classy" may be
related to the "make-up" (Bowie, New York Dolls, Sweet, Poison and so-on).

That makes sense. I guess that's where the "glam" part comes from, too. I've also heard terms like "sleaze rock/metal" and "cock rock/metal" used for what's called "glam metal" nowadays. I guess "hair metal" refers to the same genre. Anyway, I don't think the lyrical content of a lot of "class metal" is marticularly classy ;-)

Originally posted by MAVIIIVAM MAVIIIVAM wrote:

Well you English use many different terms that I have had to think about for a bit. "Techno" is and was
used alot, from Hemispheres Rush to Spiral Architect.  My reactions were like . . . "TECHNO!!!??? Stern Smile"

Aup! . . . gotta' get that English Banter down.

I'm not a native speaker of English myself, but i think that the many terms in rock music would probably confuse most English-speakers just as much as the rest of us.
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2010 at 4:05pm
Oh yes! I definately know how "International" Metal and Prog is Big smile.

To clarify, what I meant by "YOU English" was I guess a shout out to any English listeners that have colourful terminology. I have English friends on a Prog Rock/Metal Internet Station and a Female Friend (From Northern England) whom I learn "Banter" and slang with Wink (and Monty Python, haha).
We Americans tend to turn english upside-down, but we're "Rebels", its our job Rawks

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 16 Apr 2010 at 4:07pm
"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
Bomb Brigade View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bomb Brigade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2010 at 9:37pm
Absolutely!UFO,Iron Maiden,early Def Leppard,Judas Priest,Tygers Of Pan Tang,Tokyo Blade,and so many more are among the greatest that music ever had to offer to us,the fans.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1967/ 1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2010 at 10:57am

Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Oh, thanks :-) Why "class"? Did people think it was more classy than other types of metal?

But mostly I am referring to bands such as Giant and similars.
FusionKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FusionKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2010 at 12:18pm
Any Witchfinder General fans here?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1967/ 1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2010 at 5:17am
Now REVOLTONS (http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/revoltons.aspx?ac=revol) is complete.

The two demos (with different vocalist) are filed under "Prog Metal", also the first demo is more Prog than Metal!
Certif1ed View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Certif1ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2010 at 9:15am
NWoBHM for me - especially the more obscure/forgotten acts.

It's the small bands that really made the scene for me, much more than the big names - Raven being the notable exception. Raven made it fairly big - but should have been so much bigger.

Surely there are others on this forum who are into bands like Dragonfly, Voltz, Legend, Satan, Mythra, Bleak House, Trespass and Hollow Ground?

Did anyone actually see any of those bands at the time?

How about the bands that Metallica rescued from obscurity, like Holocaust, Blitzkrieg, Diamond Head and Budgie?

Vardis, anyone?

These are the bands that forged the metal in Heavy Metal music - let's not forget them!
alberto mu�oz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alberto mu�oz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2010 at 9:21am
There are some bands that i like a lot.

For example thre first albums of Tyger's of Pang Tang are very good and also early Krokus.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1967/ 1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2010 at 9:55am
In my view the first two Threah Metal bands are two of the more interesting NWoBHM bands: Venom and Motorhead. Probably: no Motorhead and Venom... No Thrash Metal. Not Venom... No Black Metal.
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2010 at 10:21am
Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

NWoBHM for me - especially the more obscure/forgotten acts.

It's the small bands that really made the scene for me, much more than the big names - Raven being the notable exception. Raven made it fairly big - but should have been so much bigger.

Surely there are others on this forum who are into bands like Dragonfly, Voltz, Legend, Satan, Mythra, Bleak House, Trespass and Hollow Ground?

Did anyone actually see any of those bands at the time?

How about the bands that Metallica rescued from obscurity, like Holocaust, Blitzkrieg, Diamond Head and Budgie?

Vardis, anyone?

These are the bands that forged the metal in Heavy Metal music - let's not forget them!

Unfortunately I am old enough to remember seeing many of those bands. (and others)

Vardis, Angelwitch, Mythra, Trespass, Samson, Wytchfynde, Tank, Tygers OPT, Praying Mantis, Sledgehammer, Quartz.....

I have many of the singles the bands used to sell at the gigs, Mythra released "Death and Destiny" this way I believe.

I  can't believe I can still hear after one of the Angelwitch gigs. Purple were loud as were Motorhead but these guys, unbelievable! LOL
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2010 at 1:08am
Samson, Tank and Budgie Clap Some names I have to add to my "What got you into Metal" Essay.
Been a Budgie fan since hearing "Never turn your back on a friend" (when I discovered it in 1982?)
and was a fan of "Breadfan" before Metallica made it famous Big smile
But damn . . . wish I saw all those NWOBHM Bands (especially Budgie!).

And earlier Krokus did a better job at sounding like AC/DC than. . . AC/DC LOL
(stop with the HIT-TING!!!! Ouch)

Certif1ed View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Certif1ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2010 at 1:35am
Originally posted by Colt Colt wrote:

Unfortunately I am old enough to remember seeing many of those bands. (and others)

Likewise... LOL 

Vardis, Angelwitch, Mythra, Trespass, Samson, Wytchfynde, Tank, Tygers OPT, Praying Mantis, Sledgehammer, Quartz.....

Cool list - I've seen most of those too. I never got to see Witchfynde though Cry

A lot of those were on the bill at Reading Festival in 1982 - did you go, by any chance?

What headliners we had that year - Budgie, Iron Maiden and The Michael Schenker Group. For a metal head in those days, it just didn't get any better - except when Diamond Head replaced Manowar on the Saturday(?).

I have many of the singles the bands used to sell at the gigs, Mythra released "Death and Destiny" this way I believe.
That's awesome - I never bought any of the singles. I'm kicking myself now, as many are worth a small fortune.

Diamond Head famously sold their first album, "Lightning to the Nations" at gigs, which is why some of the 1,000 copies in existence are fully autographed, some partially, and some not at all.

I  can't believe I can still hear after one of the Angelwitch gigs. Purple were loud as were Motorhead but these guys, unbelievable! LOL

Didn't Motorhead go through a phase of proclaiming themselves the loudest band in the world? I read a story at the time that Saxon beat them one night at the Hammersmith Odeon, and got some kind of noise notice for doing so...

Saxon were bloody loud - awesome band (and unsung influence on Metallica).

Edited by Certif1ed - 29 Apr 2010 at 1:40am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic