MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Traditional Metal, NWoBHM and Power Metal fans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2010 at 4:00am
Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

Originally posted by Colt Colt wrote:

Unfortunately I am old enough to remember seeing many of those bands. (and others)

Likewise... LOL 

Vardis, Angelwitch, Mythra, Trespass, Samson, Wytchfynde, Tank, Tygers OPT, Praying Mantis, Sledgehammer, Quartz.....

Cool list - I've seen most of those too. I never got to see Witchfynde though Cry

A lot of those were on the bill at Reading Festival in 1982 - did you go, by any chance?

No I didn't.

What headliners we had that year - Budgie, Iron Maiden and The Michael Schenker Group. For a metal head in those days, it just didn't get any better - except when Diamond Head replaced Manowar on the Saturday(?).

Pop rock bands these days! Pinch LOL

I have many of the singles the bands used to sell at the gigs, Mythra released "Death and Destiny" this way I believe.
That's awesome - I never bought any of the singles. I'm kicking myself now, as many are worth a small fortune.

I'd never thought of value until you mentioned it. I'll have to find them (they are in a box somewhere Embarrassed) Is there a good valuation site on the net you know of? I know I have definitely Mythra's as above, Witchfynde's "Give 'Em Hell" and the Tygers "Don't Touch Me There".

Diamond Head famously sold their first album, "Lightning to the Nations" at gigs, which is why some of the 1,000 copies in existence are fully autographed, some partially, and some not at all. Didn't know that.

I  can't believe I can still hear after one of the Angelwitch gigs. Purple were loud as were Motorhead but these guys, unbelievable! LOL

Didn't Motorhead go through a phase of proclaiming themselves the loudest band in the world? I read a story at the time that Saxon beat them one night at the Hammersmith Odeon, and got some kind of noise notice for doing so... I didn't know but how cool is that! LOL

Saxon were bloody loud - awesome band (and unsung influence on Metallica). Yes on all counts!
1967/ 1976 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1967/ 1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2010 at 12:26pm
What do you think about Girlschool?
Certif1ed View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Certif1ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2010 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by 1967/ 1976 1967/ 1976 wrote:

Great band - I also like Rock Goddess.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1967/ 1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 3:39am
I've "Demolition" remastered with 9 bonus and a compilation (The Collection) in a copy MC from CD. Great band!

Review of "Demolition" is on the road!!!
Certif1ed View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Certif1ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 3:59am

I'd never thought of value until you mentioned it. I'll have to find them (they are in a box somewhere Embarrassed) Is there a good valuation site on the net you know of? I know I have definitely Mythra's as above, Witchfynde's "Give 'Em Hell" and the Tygers "Don't Touch Me There".

I don't think any of the Tyger's or Witchfynde's stuff is worth much - there's no specific valuation site I know of, but Popsike.com lists records that have sold at eBay at a high price.

The Mythra "Death and Destiny" EP is probably worth around �50-�60, if it's in the picture sleeve and in good condition.

The ones you really want (from a value perspective) are Dragonfly's "Silent Nights" EP, and either of Bleak House's singles - "Rainbow Warrior" obviously is the most valuable.

Edited by Certif1ed - 04 May 2010 at 4:00am
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1967/ 1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2010 at 7:09am
As may be worth the debut album by Def Leppard on LP format?

FusionKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FusionKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2010 at 7:19am
    ^
I love that album.
Hello America makes the hair on my neck stand up.
Certif1ed View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Certif1ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2010 at 8:06am

As may be worth the debut album by Def Leppard on LP format?

Nope - hardly worth a penny (to collectors, of course - to NWoBHM fans, it's priceless!).

The Def Leppard record that's worth money is this one;

It can fetch up to �700.

Big smile

The Belgian release, "First Strike" is another good one, value-wise, as is the poorly-promoted "Slang" - and there's a BBC Transcriptions recording with AC/DC on the flipside which is fairly rare.

Edited by Certif1ed - 11 May 2010 at 8:15am
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2010 at 10:48am
Wow! Thats very cool! (EP) . . . .
For me, the song "Get your Rocks Off" was the song, great Riffs!  While everyone was drooling about
Pyromania, I was thinking of "On Through the Night" and "High and Dry".  When DL was a bit more heavy Big smile.
"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2010 at 5:16am

i am a hige Girlschool fan - their best album is Hit and Run. Nightmare at Maple St is their low point. Still great metal

RIP Kelly Johnson - beautiful guitarist, singer
GLAM METAL!
Ragnar View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ragnar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2010 at 4:57am
Quote NWoBHM
New Wave of Bosnia-Herzegovina Metal? Tongue

Edited by Ragnar - 30 Aug 2010 at 4:57am
whitedragon1969 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitedragon1969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2010 at 5:35pm
Some of my favourite bands and alboums:
Saxon - Wheels Of Steel ("Motorcycle Man" one of my favourites-all time classic)
Diamond Head - Lightning To The Nations ( The choice is easy: "Sucking My Love")
Def Leppard - On Through The Night ("Rocks Off")
Whitesnake - Live In The Heart Of The City ("Ain't No Love..."-what can i say about this song)
Armored Saint - March Of The Saint (I am between "Can U Deliver" and "False Alarm")
Helstar - Distant Thunder ("The King Is Dead" and "Winds Of War" are killer songs)
Warlord - Deliver Us ("Child Of The Damned")

that's all for begining
If you close the light every woman looks the same (Ancient Greek tale by Diogenis)
Very democratic...
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2010 at 7:46am

Girlschool are fantastic esp Hit and Run and debut. After that they became very pop sounding. But great all girl metal. Rock Goddess sounded great too. Runanways were the pioneers but never really had a chance with dictator dickwad Kim Fowley.
GLAM METAL!
Certif1ed View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Certif1ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2010 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

Girlschool are fantastic esp Hit and Run and debut. After that they became very pop sounding. But great all girl metal. Rock Goddess sounded great too. Runanways were the pioneers but never really had a chance with dictator dickwad Kim Fowley.

I think that the criminally overlooked Fanny were the true pioneers here - to take nothing away from the Runaways - Fanny were an amazing all-girl band who were recording right at the beginning of the 1970s  up until the Runaways formed in the mid 1970s - and Fanny seriously rocked, not just for a girl band, but because they were better musicians than many male artists of the time.

...then there's The Luv'd Ones, who recorded some amazingly dark and heavy music in 1967

..and not to forget Merseybeat band The Liverbirds (one word)

...and Goldie & the Gingerbreads - the earliest all girl band I know of

Maybe this should be in the Girl Metal thread Wink

Edited by Certif1ed - 16 Oct 2010 at 12:05pm
Pelata View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pelata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2011 at 10:00am
Traditional/Heavy Metal is where I find myself most of the time...bands like Armored Saint, Black Sabbath, Dio, Rainbow, Accept, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Helstar, Vicious Rumors, Twisted Tower Dire, Chastain, Colossus, Heaven & Hell, Iced Earth, Mercyful Fate, early Ozzy, Saxon, Scorpions, Savatage...love this stuff!
goskoski View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goskoski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 1:35am
Traditional metal music is one of my favorites among all the other genres and styles. With traditional metal, I refer to heavy metal, power metal, speed metal, thrash metal, and progressive metal.

Heavy Metal:

Malice - Against the Empire

Darxon - Heart Breaker

Speed Metal:

Mania - The Muffty's Arrival/Wizard of the Lost Kingdom

Power Metal:

Chroming Rose - Louis XIV

Edited by goskoski - 31 Jan 2011 at 2:33am
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 1:44am
Although I admire your passion for the music, nobody wants to watch THAT many videos at a time
goskoski View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goskoski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 2:34am

You are right! I reduced the amount of videos to only four.

The Block View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Block Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 4:01pm
How many did you have before, I'm afraid to ask?LOL

Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 5:44pm
It was like 20 LOL

All, I'm sure, very good songs, but they should be spread out a bit
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic