MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No love for Dark Tranquility?!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick Dilley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No love for Dark Tranquility?!
    Posted: 29 Jul 2012 at 2:47pm
Hey guys,

One thing I love about forums like this is that people talk deep about bands that the outside world knows very little about. I love that. But I feel like there isn't much love for groups that are a bit more popular (in the mainstream sense or not) but are not yet "classic" in terms of age, like Maiden, Megadeth, Metallica, Sabbath, and whatever else.

Specifically speaking, does anyone here like Dark Tranquility? They are by far one of my favorite metal acts, and I never hear anyone talk about them here. Any specific reason?? Does thrashy melodic death metal NOT appeal to people here?!?! Shocked

www.withinareverie.blogspot.com
soundcloud.com/withinareverie
facebook.com/withinareverie
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2012 at 2:59pm
Personally melodic death metal usually isn�t my thing, but I�ve listened to all their releases and plan to review them at some point. I actually have the debut on rotation at the moment (along with a lot of other releases). Pretty good album but the sound quality isn�t too good. Not even for the time.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2012 at 3:25pm
I'll be honest and say that most melodic death metal doesn't appeal to me. Dark Tranquillity, although I'm really not at all familiar with them, based on what songs I've heard though they're one of the few exceptions that I can enjoy.
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2012 at 4:36pm
...and they�ve developed their sound quite a bit over the yeards which makes it interesting to own more than a couple of albums.
Lynx33 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lynx33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2012 at 5:01pm
I know only the first three albums of theirs well, and they are good, all of them have marvellous female vocal parts, guitar and drumwork, and splendid compositions, though harsh vocals are not really for me
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2012 at 5:03pm
Fiction is a quite good album, to be sure.
Nick Dilley View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick Dilley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2012 at 6:05pm
Fiction is arguably their best. I think a lot of DT fans put The Gallery ahead of it, but I like Fiction more.

I encourage you all to look up "Where Death is Most Alive" on Youtube, then filter the results for a playlist. An unbelievable concert. Video is HD and the soundboard is perfect. Plus, those female vocals you mentioned are highlighted in The Mundane and the Magic (on of my favorite songs) and Insanity's Crescendo. My favorite live DVD by far. The only drawback is that Stanne has seemed to have damaged his voice to much to really bring it live.

Other than that, it's perfection, and the crowd if F***ING NUTS!

CHECK IT OUT!!

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick Dilley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2012 at 6:06pm
And that comment about their development is really spot-on. It is such an interesting progression.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick Dilley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2012 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

Personally melodic death metal usually isn�t my thing, but I�ve listened to all their releases and plan to review them at some point. I actually have the debut on rotation at the moment (along with a lot of other releases). Pretty good album but the sound quality isn�t too good. Not even for the time.

Yeah, the sound quality blows, but that's symptomatic of a lot of debut releases. Especially back then. They probably had a friend with a 4-track who called his basement a studio.

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2012 at 12:14am
^LOLYep that�s how it was for many bands in those times. In this case I�m pretty sure it�s more than a 4-track recording though.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick Dilley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2012 at 12:20am
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

^LOLYep that�s how it was for many bands in those times. In this case I�m pretty sure it�s more than a 4-track recording though.

Haha, well, I guess I knwo it wasn't a 4-track. I was going for effect there! Cool

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2012 at 1:50am
Yeah I know. Just teasin�Big smile
Jbird View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2012 at 10:19am
I love Dark Tranquillity, and I don't get into very many cookie monster vocal bands, in general.

For me, my favorite album is Character. Not a bad song on the album, and a couple of outstanding tracks. Every song has cool guitar riffs, and the keyboards just give it that haunting, melancholic vibe.

Sooo many fans say The Gallery, but it's probably my least favorite. As others have mentioned, very poor recording quality, and they were still finding their way as songwriters....not quite 'there' yet in that regard.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image