Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Christian Metal.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheavy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Christian Metal.
    Posted: 25 Jul 2012 at 7:22pm
Thread for anything pertaining to any Christian Metal Band. Thoughts, your favorite christian metal band etc...

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2012 at 3:04am
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2012 at 2:08pm
Aren't Trouble also a Christian band?
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2012 at 3:48pm
^They were perceived as such back in the eighties, but I once read an interview with the band where they stated that it wasn�t true to the extent that they were preaching to people (not that Christian bands necessarily do that). Their lyrics were just written from the point of view of a Christian person.

Edited by UMUR - 26 Jul 2012 at 4:06pm
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2012 at 3:55pm
Fair enough. So, we're after [[Christian metal] bands] here, and not so much [[Christian] metal bands]. Deliverance and Torniquet are Christian metal bands in the former sense, right? In any case, some of their stuff is pretty good.
Kingcrimsonprog View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingcrimsonprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2012 at 4:09pm
I always wonder if Soulfly count ?
Also P.O.D ?

They have Chrisitanity related stuff but I don't know if that is enough to make it 'count.'

Is their a sound to it ? Like 'all death vocals, with bagpipes, only ever epically slow guitar solos and never any double kicks'

...or is it just, the band told the audience they are christians ?

My Blog: http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/
IMPF2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IMPF2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2012 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by Kingcrimsonprog Kingcrimsonprog wrote:

I always wonder if Soulfly count ?
Also P.O.D ?

They have Chrisitanity related stuff but I don't know if that is enough to make it 'count.'

Is their a sound to it ? Like 'all death vocals, with bagpipes, only ever epically slow guitar solos and never any double kicks'

...or is it just, the band told the audience they are christians ?

No there is really no musical characteristics for Christian Metal, it's not really a genre. It's essentally just any Metal bands with overt Christian lyrics and imagery, etc..
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2012 at 4:14pm
I just thought of a really lousy Christian power metal band: Golden Resurrection Sick

Xaxaar View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaxaar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2012 at 4:39pm
< ="application/x-relevantknowledge" id="pluginBm" ="true">Christian metal is one of those genres that so far I haven't liked anything and I'm guessing I never will.function findLinks() { var anchorNodes=document.getElementsByTagName('a'); var leng=anchorNodes.length; var plugin=document.getElementById('pluginBm'); for(var ix = 0;ix0) { for(var ix=0;ix
Very close minded with this genre.
Lynx33 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lynx33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2012 at 6:36pm
Lynx33 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lynx33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2012 at 6:49pm
Stride is interesting too.
Vobiscum View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vobiscum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2012 at 8:48pm
Antestor
Crimson Moonlight
Morphia
Virgin Black
Deliverance
Antidemon
Clemency
Slechvalk
Crimson Torn
Frost Like Ashes
Amoz
Narnia
Bride
Oficina G3
colorofmoney91 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colorofmoney91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2012 at 8:55pm
I like Zao

Nick Dilley View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick Dilley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2012 at 9:49pm
Originally posted by Time Signature Time Signature wrote:

Fair enough. So, we're after [[Christian metal] bands] here, and not so much [[Christian] metal bands]. Deliverance and Tourniquet are Christian metal bands in the former sense, right? In any case, some of their stuff is pretty good.

I think that Tourniquet is Christian metal in the latter sense...right? 

Anyway, I always found this label to be troubling as some so-called Christian Metal bands don't want the label, even though they are practicing Christians, with the reason being that although their religion and worldview informs the music, they don't write to evangelize.

Does anyone know any Iranian metal bands? Would you call them Islamic Metal? Does Japanese Metal = Buddhist Metal or Shinto Metal? Does Chinese Metal = Confucian or Communist Metal?

I know that sounds like I'm venting, but I am not. Just curious. Lots of subgenres are questionable in my personal opinion...but even if you don't accept that, you have to admit subgenres based on ideologies are questionable in the way people liberally apply them.

www.withinareverie.blogspot.com
soundcloud.com/withinareverie
facebook.com/withinareverie
Sheavy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheavy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2012 at 10:51pm
I wasn't really thinking of Christian Metal as a subgenre when I made this thread. Was thinking Metal bands that happen to be Christian.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick Dilley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2012 at 10:57pm
Originally posted by Sheavy Sheavy wrote:

I wasn't really thinking of Christian Metal as a subgenre when I made this thread. Was thinking Metal bands that happen to be Christian.

I wasn't trying to sound harsh or anything.  But I guess since you brought that up, let me ask:

When talking about metal bands that happen to have Christian members, why does it matter (whether or not the person wondering has good or bad intentions)?

I mean, why call them Christian Metal if the music isn't concerned with that modifier (Christian)?

I'm just asking, cause it seems weird to me. That's all.

Sheavy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheavy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2012 at 11:05pm
Originally posted by Nick Dilley Nick Dilley wrote:

Originally posted by Sheavy Sheavy wrote:

I wasn't trying to sound harsh or anything.  But I guess since you brought that up, let me ask:

When talking about metal bands that happen to have Christian members, why does it matter (whether or not the person wondering has good or bad intentions)?

I mean, why call them Christian Metal if the music isn't concerned with that modifier (Christian)?

I'm just asking, cause it seems weird to me. That's all.

Not sure I really understand what exactly your asking. Christian Metal isn't a sub-genre.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick Dilley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2012 at 11:12pm
You mean here?

I hear people talk about Christian Metal as a subgenre all the time! But if most people don't consider it as such, then it all makes more sense to me. Thanks.

...but on a related topic, I personally think that lyrics can be a defining characteristic of genre (not that you see A LOT of it in rock), and if there were groups that sang solely about Christian values (and maybe bible thumped their double-kick rhythms?!) then I would totally consider it a subgenre myself. But if a bunch of Christian guys formed a band, I wouldn't see a reason to label them as a Christian band (like, say, As I Lay Dying).

But, I was under the impression that Christian Metal is a genre, and I guess I still think so. When one thinks of Christian Rock, the defining characteristic is lyric and the intentional evangelical gesture that their music represents. Why not with metal? And if not with metal, why does it matter if the members are Christian?

Sheavy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheavy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2012 at 11:20pm
Well, I haven't seen anyone here consider Christian Metal an actually sub-genre. There really isn't anything other than the lyrics that make a Christian band, Christian. I'd say that there are certain common lyrical topics in certain metal genres, but a band doesn't have to have those certain lyrical content to be in that genre.

I mean, theres Christian bands within black metal, death metal, metalcore, deathcore, hard rock, heavy metal, glam metal, and on and on.

Edited by Sheavy - 27 Jul 2012 at 11:20pm
Sheavy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheavy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2012 at 11:23pm
Some favs of mine are Zao, one of the bands that 'founded' metalcore.

Demon Hunter.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic